News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

12 cylinder distributor caps

Started by M. Patla 13876, August 24, 2009, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Patla 13876

Hi   i recently bought a 12cyl. distributor cap that was marked 1931 cadillac v12. of course when i got home it was too small in diameter. it measures 4and nine sixteenths in diameter. i now know the correct diameter is 5.150 for my car.it is made by delco remy how can i identify it ? i do understand that a twin ignition is also a possibility such as nash could it be 1934 35 36 37 cadillac v12 thank you matt

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

V-12 caps were the large diameter from 31 to 33. 34 to 37 were a smaller diameter. You need someone to measure their 34 to 37 cap I'll try to get hold of him, but someone may get you a faster answer.  I have a friend who needs a 37 cap if that's whast it turns out to be. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Stinson

Quote from: M. Patla 13876 on August 24, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
Hi   i recently bought a 12cyl. distributor cap that was marked 1931 cadillac v12. of course when i got home it was too small in diameter. it measures 4and nine sixteenths in diameter. i now know the correct diameter is 5.150 for my car.it is made by delco remy how can i identify it ? i do understand that a twin ignition is also a possibility such as nash could it be 1934 35 36 37 cadillac v12 thank you matt
Hello, I would be interested in purchasing the '37 distributor cap if Bob's friend does not.
Many thanks, Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ty, thank you for your consideration! Are you in a position to measure your cap tonite? My friend can't get to his until later tomorrow. Let's find out if it is a V-12 cap. Bob

Stinson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 24, 2009, 10:00:31 PM
Ty, thank you for your consideration! Are you in a position to measure your cap tonite? My friend can't get to his until later tomorrow. Let's find out if it is a V-12 cap. Bob

Hello Bob,
Yes, I will measure mine and post the size for you.
Many thanks,
Ty
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 24, 2009, 10:00:31 PM

Hello Bob,
Sorry for the delay, I just got home.
The outside lip of my '37 V12 cap is 4 and 11/16. The inside lip is 4 and 6/16. Hope this helps.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Ty,
thanks for checking. It looks like what Matt has is not Cadillac. However, now that he has your information, he should be able to determine it for sure. Lets see what he says.
Regards, Bob

Otto Skorzeny

Post some photos of these things and it might be readily obvious to someone exactly what cars they fit.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Stinson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 25, 2009, 06:53:15 PM
Hi Ty,
thanks for checking. It looks like what Matt has is not Cadillac. However, now that he has your information, he should be able to determine it for sure. Lets see what he says.
Regards, Bob

Hello Bob and Patla:
I have checked my Cadillac/LaSalle shop manual for 1937 and find that the distributor cap part is listed as Delco-Remy type number 667-C for the '37-85 V12. I don't know if this number is on the distributor. According to the Authenticity Manual for Class 7 and 9 -Fall 2006 page 55 the 667-C fits the 370D, '36-80, and the 85. This manual also states (on page 9) that the 667-C also fits the 1934 and the 1935 370D-40.
So, it looks like we need John Tozer and Gene Mene to advise us of their findings. Many thanks, Ty CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Don Rundgren

Matt,
I assume you are looking for a 1931 cap. I have a list showing a number 1850895 for the 31 to 33 cap, not sure if this is a GM or Delco number and not even sure the number is correct. I have been told that both the cap and the rotor for the early V-12s are basically unavailable as NOS items and are extremely hard to find used. Question for the experts: have these items ever been reproduced? If someone had the ability to produce a superior copy of the originals I know I would be interested for my 32.
Don
McKinney, Texas

M. Patla 13876

Quote from: M. Patla 13876 on August 24, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
                           THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION. THIS CAP MEASURES 4AND NINE SIXTEENTHS INCHES OUTSIDE DIAMETER . IT MUST BE FROM ANOTHER CAR THAT USED DELCO REMY IGNITION SYSTEM. MAYBE EVEN AN OLD FIRE TRUCK OR INDUSTRIAL APPLICATION. ANY MILITARY USE?  I DID SPEAK TO SOMEONE YEARS AGO WHO SAID THERE WERE REPRODUCTIONS. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE.  THE ONE ON MY 31 IS WAY OUT OF ROUND BY 5 SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH. I THOUGHT OF TRYING TO REPAIR IT. BUT HOW??  POSSIBLY HEAT IT IN THE OVEN AND QUICKLY CLAMP IT TO THE DISTRIBUTOR I WOULD LIKELY BLOW UP THE STOVE.   IF THEY CAN MAKE OLD FORD CHEVY CAPS WHY NOT V12 V16 ?  LOW DEMAND ?

Otto Skorzeny

This guy has lots of NOS ignition parts. Caps rotors, etc. among other things. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Marx Parts  Bob Marx    715-652-2405  Arpin, WI      www.marxparts.com   all NOS and NORS            

Call them. The website doesn't list everything they have.
fward

Stinson

Hello Matt:
I will measure mine again this evening. Perhaps mine is also out of round, but the car runs well. It measured 4 11/16 outside rim and 4 3/8 inside rim. However, it could be out of round compared to your 4 9/16 measurement.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

bcroe

Didn't the V16s use 2 distributors, each 8 cylinders?  Any chance of doing this on the 12, of course I would use HEI 6s.? Bruce Roe  CLC # 14630

Stinson

Great idea!
Apparently this was done for the V12 years ago and all sold out quickly. Seems by now there would be a need for both the V12's (large and small caps) and for the V16's.

Not a bad idea to have one extra cap and perhaps even the dual rotors being made at the same time(?).

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

This is just a wild shot, but there is a company making and of course selling distributor caps for the Liberty Aircraft engines.  Liberty's used Delco Distributors and they were of course 12 cylinders.  If someone needs a Cadillac cap you might google liberty aircraft engine parts and see where that leads.
I was on the Antique Aircraft Engine Societies website when this turned up.
Good luck and good hunting.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Otto Skorzeny

That's a great suggestion, Greg. You beat me to it. There are many many parts for lots of old cars that are still made for non automotive uses that we just aren't aware of.

Some Packard straight eights are still used in the marine industry.

The suggestion to have the club make parts is outstanding. I think this should be an ongoing and regular job of the club. Perhaps a wish list from members could be developed and new parts could be made by the club for those parts most sought after.

Advance orders could be taken prior to manufacture to help safeguard the club's investment.

Just like the CCCA or whoever makes the special 15w-40 motor oil, the CLC could generate a revenue stream that might, in part, make up for the loss if and when Cadillac and GM pull the plug on financial support.

Between the internet, Self Starter and Hemmings, it's much easier to get the word out to potential customers than it was in the past.

Don says the V12 cap was made some years ago. Surely the tooling still exists to make more?

This is the kind of thing the club and this forum should focus on. A comprehensive list of suppliers should be posted permanently somewhere on the CLC site or this forum. I'm not talking just aboutthose who advertise in the SS, either. It should be set up where users can add vendors whenever they find a new one. If someone is out of business or whatever, a quick note to a moderator could update it as needed.

It would save lots of repeat questions. How many times in one week do I post Daytona Parts' information for carb questions?
fward

Don Rundgren

There is a surprisingly long list of repro parts in the back of the CCCA Bulletin, most of these are offered by the regions as fund-raising efforts. There is stuff for Cadillac, Packards, Lincolns, Pierce Arrow, etc. but unfortunately no ignition parts. If the club could set sometning like this up I would definitely be interested in a cap and rotor for my 32.
Don
McKinney, Texas

Stinson

I hope the CLC will take up this venture! I would also order a cap and rotor.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Lots of ideas & wishes posted here, but the fact remains, WHO'S GONNA DO THE WORK? The CLC has NEVER  done a reproduction project! What makes any of you believe they will start now? The Classic Car Club has regions that do projects. They list them in the back of the bulletin. The time when most of the restoration work was done on multi cylinder Cadillacs has PAST!.  Interest level is low. Some cap & rotor reproduction was done years ago. I don't remember what. So... here's the same message I seem to have to post. Someone needs to step up with the time & money & MAKE IT HAPPEN. Talk is always cheap! I am willing to guide an interested person with some contacts & past history that might help. HTH, Bob