News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

A V16 with glasspacks starting up VIDEO

Started by Tom Magdaleno, October 28, 2009, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

I was wondering, and JUST wondering at this point...but my car has single exhaust, as do most 1968 CdV's from the factory. (Was dual exhaust even an option? Cuz I don't see where they would have run the other pipe under the car.)

Anyway, I have heard glass packs on plenty of dual exhaust cars, but I don't know what ONE would sound like on a single exhaust car...worth the effort? And, after the muffler, we have resonators on our cars. What would THAT sound like? Anyone?
(My car sounds OK...really quiet, but the muffler is slightly damaged and has a small leak. Looks like the previous owner hit something with it and snagged a corner of the muffler and it's kinda bent and mis-shapen. Resonator and pipe is all OK, I was just thinking if I'm gonna replace the muffler anyway...It would be nice to have a bit of that deep exhaust note)
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

I think the last Cadillac to have Dual Exhausts in the older models was the 1960.   After that, Single Exhaust was the norm, even up to at least 1969 that I know of.   My '72 Eldorado even has Single Exhaust, so I wouldn't be surprised if '70 and '71 were the same.   Someone will be able to fill in the other years when everyone wakes up.

Cadillac was more interested in quietness than performance.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve W

Hi Bruce...
Ahhh...so the single exhaust was done for the sake of quietness. Makes sense. I have seen some of these cars at cruise-ins with dual exhaust, so I'm assuming that it was customized by the owner.
Any idea of how much, if any, performance would be gained by going to dual exhaust? I know on a smaller car (Camaro, etc) it makes a measureable difference...but on a 4800 lb, 19 1/2 foot long vehicle that should be sporting a postal code instead of a license plate, is it worth the effort and expense?

And again, what does one glass-pack sound like?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866