News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Remove/Replace Cornering Lamp in my 1966 DeVille?

Started by lionsfan54, June 04, 2010, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionsfan54

Both of my cornering lamps are currently inoperable.  How in the heck do I remove those light covers to get to the bulb itself?  Please help!
1966 Deville Convertible

76eldo

The bulbs should be accessible from the back side of the housing.

Are you trying the cornering lights with the headlight switch on?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

lionsfan54

No dice with headlights on. 

So, I see one large wire going into the "rear" part of the housing.  Should I just yank that out?
1966 Deville Convertible

76eldo

No.

If it doesn't look like a socket or some type of push in socket under a rubber boot, wait for a 65/66 guy to see this post.  Did you check your owner's manual?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

To change the bulbs in the cornering lights on my 68 ELDO you have to remove the complete light fixture from the fender and let it dangle from the wire.  Then you remove the lens off the reflector part. 

The lights are in a heavy splash zone so they were not built to remove the bulbs from the back. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

lionsfan54

Thanks Glen -

I think I need to remove the whole lamp, but I'm scared to try and "pry" it out.  Is there a trick? 

Owner's manual is of zero help I'm afraid
1966 Deville Convertible

Chris McBride

Kell Oskarsson

Hi,

on my 1968 de Ville, you have to remove a rubber splash guard from the wheel well in order to access the lamp assembly from inside the fender. The assembly is then removed by unscrewing 4 or 5 nuts. In order to access the bulb, you have to take the assembly apart (some more nuts). You might have to change the bulb with the whole thing dangling from the fender, as per the previous post, as the socket might not be removable at all.

I would suspect that you have a not dissimilar setup. At any rate, I don´t think you should be prying, but rather trying to locate the fasteners of the light assembly. Do you have the Factory Workshop Manual? That should have some info.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Kell.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville
1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan

Steve W

Just a thought, but are you sure the problem is the bulbs?
The only reason I ask is that BOTH are out at the same time. Coincidence?
And is it the cornering lights AND the side markers that are out, or just the cornering lights?
Do yourself a huge favor and check your wiring and connections first.
I had a similar problem on my 68 CdV's front turn signal/parking lights...turned out to be the connectors in the wiring, the bulbs were fine.

Good luck.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

lionsfan54

Thanks everyone... it WAS the bulb.  I will be posting instructions of how I did it along with pics so that other people can avoid this.
1966 Deville Convertible

Rob Troxel

It could be that you need to reestablish a ground for the cornering lights to work.  This was the case on my 68 Eldorado. Remove the housing and use some steel wool around the metal to metal contacts (usually the bolt hole areas to the fender)) I had the same issue with the back up lights too. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

lionsfan54

There are 3 bolts holding the entire housing to the fender.  You must remove all three bolts to get to the bulb.  I found it easier to work after removing the tire.

The third bolt is up front and not visible in the first pic.  Here is a pic from the outside with the lens removed so you can see where it is located

The bolts were very hard to remove and I thought maybe they were reverse threaded.  Nope, just old and rusty.

These 4 screws hold the cover over the lens.  You can only get to them by removing the entire lens (thanks GM)

Removed the "grille".  This was a good chance to really clean it up using a wire brush and some polish.

And, here is where the burned out bulb was

A link to a new bulb if you can't find one locally
http://www.bulbamerica.com/GE-38w-RP11-1195-12-5v-Bulb-8453-prod.htm

It's a HUGE bulb!
1966 Deville Convertible

lionsfan54

No, you have to remove everything to get to it.  sorry  :(
1966 Deville Convertible

76eldo

I am amazed that Cadillac engineered the housing like this.  It seems crazy to have to do all of that in order to change a bulb.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

lionsfan54

Well, at least we know it's a problem only with "modern" cars!   ;D
1966 Deville Convertible

35-709

Considering how difficult they made it to change the taillight bulbs on a '66, the cornering light setup doesn't surprise me in the least.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Glen

First of all I think the old bulbs lasted longer than the new ones.  My 68 ELDO still has all its original dash lights and the rear marker lights; front turn signal lights and maybe a few more.  The cornering lights mostly needed grounds fixed.  I did change the cornering lights to halogen bulbs because I can’t get the original bulb with the high wattage. 

The cornering lights are in a place that has a lot of water splashing around when driving in the rain and Cadillac designed them to be very splash proof.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Chris Conklin

To continue the horror story of cornering lights, lionsfan54, do you happen to have a tilt/telescoping steering wheel? If so, keep your eyes open for the directional switch for sale and bid high.  ;D
Chris Conklin

lionsfan54

1966 Deville Convertible

Chris Conklin

Lucky you! The last one I saw on eBay went for about $270+. But it was NOS.
Chris Conklin