News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

POLL: Which Cadillac models are the most iconic ones?

Started by Gergely Szentmartony 25603, October 12, 2010, 11:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

If you were asked about a list of the 5 or 10 most iconic Cadillac models ever, which would be the chosen ones?
A short explanation next to the model would be welcome, like:
1903 Model A â€" The very first model, variable valve lift mechanism, „little Hercules”
1907 Model K â€" Dewar Trophy winner, interchangeability.
1912 Model 30 â€" Dewar Trophy winner, the first car to use an electric starter together with an integrated electrical system
2009 CTS-V â€" the World’s fastest sedan
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

1973 Cadillac Eldorado Indianapolis 500 Pace Car -  500 cubic inch (8.2 liter) V8 largest engine to ever pace Indy 500, Goodyear SteelGard Radial Tires, first radial tires on an Indy 500 Pace Car.

EAM 17806

1976 Cadillac - This is suppose to be the longest Cadillac made at the factory. The length for the Fleetwood Brougham was 233.7 inches, approximately 19 feet five inches, and the de Villes etc were 230 inches or 19 feet 2 inches with a 500 CU (8.2 ltr) engine. This doesn't include limos, etc. just regular factory productions. The smart look of the Coupe de Ville adds great sharpness to it's style.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Davidinhartford

Five most iconic?

1)    Any V-16 Fleetwood.     Techno marvel and Pebble beach classic.

2)    1959 Cadillac convertible.     World famous.

3)    1967 Eldorado.    Turned the most heads and set sales jumping.

4)    1975 Seville         Caught attention around the world.

5)    1976 Eldorado convertible.     World famous for being last, plus an iconic parade float.

Are there more significant Cadillacs?  Yes.   But you said "Iconic" and to me that means  they wowed the world.

David King (kz78hy)

My biased opinion would include the Eldorado Brougham, milestone car and all.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Almost any 50's Eldorado starting with the 1953 -- because:

--Styling innovation -- predictor of trends to come in future Cadillacs

--Price tag -- as much as a standard 50's working man's house

--Prestige factor -- owned by numerous movie stars and kings, queens and
other notable people of wealth and influence

--Performance -- there cars could MOVE -- with dual quads starting in '55 switching
to three deuces in later years

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Charles D. Barnette

1. The 57-58 Eldorado Brougham-the stainless steel top and suicide doors post war 2. The 59 Eldorado Biarritz-the fins and the chrome 3. 67-70 Eldorados -first front wheel drive 4. the 41 Cadillac convertible-modern styling and good looks & 5. The 1948 Cadillacs-first design inspired by the P38 airplane. Charles D. Barnette

mrspeedyt

s. twitchell

Steve W

I agree with all of the previous posts!
Great cars all.

The number ONE iconic Caddy, however, has GOT to be the 1959.
It defined the era, the industry and Cadillac itself. Those fins, those 'bullet lights'.
Excessive? Definately! Iconic? Most certainly!

Then add:

ANY Cadillac convertible. Any year.

Any 67-70 Eldorado. Brave, edgy-sporty styling, defined the term "personal luxury". (faves are the 68 for the esthetics, and the 70 for the 500 motor!)

The 1976 Eldorado convertible in white, with steer-horns attached to the hood. (That Texas, or 'Boss Hog" look is annoying, but iconic!)

But for my OWN experience, I remember seeing the first "stacked-headlight" Cadillac in 1965. A few other cars sported the look too...Pontiacs, Fords, Cadillacs. I thought, and STILL think, its a very cool look. Elegant with a touch of sportiness. They vertically stacked the headlights for 1965 til 1968.

So, I'm adding MY car, the 1968 Coupe DeVille. Vertically stacked headlights with a slight forward rake, hidden windshiels wipers, front disc brake option, and that awesome 472 engine!

I know its the ONLY vote the 68 deVille is gonna get, but that's OK!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Brett Baird

B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

jerry c.

Cadillac's 1948 & 1949 Fastbacks (sedanets) for timeless, flowing lines!

Bob Steur

Steve, I'll second your nomination for 68 - last of the old school styling, first of the 472/500 engine.

But to non-Cadillac people, the classic Cadillac they go ga-ga over is the 59. Possibly the most radically styled postwar car. Look at all the movies, album covers, and advertising this car, or its fins, have been featured in.

My introduction to Cadillacs was a blue 59 Coupe de Ville I saw as a teenager. It looked custom! I could hardly believe the factory made such a wild thing. It stood out dramatically from the late 70s/early 80s cars that were new at the time. Many decades later I managed to get a 59 of my own. I haven't driven it yet but that's another story!

What non-Cadillac people may not realize is that they're all great cars, and there are so many fascinating models and firsts in Cadillac's history. The 59 is just the tip of the iceberg, the shark fin protruding above the surface of the water.

Jim Salmi #21340

Definitely must include the 1941, which began most of the styling cues that made a Cadillac distinctive for more than thirty years:  vertical tail lights, eggcrate grill, fender skirts, 3-piece rear window, hydramatic tranmission.
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

fnoti

Bill Podany #19567

1941 60 Special Fleetwood Sedan: many styling ques that remained for years: eggcrate grill, trunk integrated into body, headlights integrated into fenders, vertical tail lights, fender skirts, Hydramatic transmission, and chrome encased car door windows.  Elegant and stylish features designed for the individual driver as a personal luxury car.

Bill Podany
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Fleet

Some of my picks:

1949 Cadillac--- First Cadillac with the modern OHV V-8.

1959 Cadillac--- For obvious reasons.

1974-'76 Cadillac Series Seventy-Fives. The longest production cars ever built at 252.2" (21 feet). Some may think they are not production Cadillacs but I think they qualified as such. Limited production, but production. They were included in the brochures and had a list price ($15,239 for a '76 Series Seventy-Five Limousine, for example).

Tony Gaudenti
Member # 12310

Tony Gaudenti
Member #12310

'69 Fleetwood Brougham
'76 Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine

R Schroeder

I guess I'll have to say my 78.
I always loved the tail lights . Also like the style of the car.
I know, its not old....................ha