News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

need source for efi coolant sensor

Started by mauro, July 14, 2011, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauro

hi,
     i am in need of a coolant sensor for a '79 seville, tried for 3 days to locate one with no luck. tried all the resources listed on this forum, still no luck, if you can help i would appreciate any and all advice. thanks in advance
                                                                          mauro capossere
i live my life like a dog, i smell it, if i can't eat it or screw it, i just pee on it and walk away

TJ Hopland

I know they have been NLA a few times but I see they are again on the list here:

http://www.mtscadparts.net/servlet/the-Electrical/Categories
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mauro

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 15, 2011, 10:25:41 AM
I know they have been NLA a few times but I see they are again on the list here:

http://www.mtscadparts.net/servlet/the-Electrical/Categories

thanks,
            i found that place and another one on another caddy forum last night, both are very pricey, the other site is  remote connector.com, they are 10 dollars cheaper, well, as they say, if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay, so i ordered one just a minute ago. thanks a lot for the help.
                                                                                                        mauro
i live my life like a dog, i smell it, if i can't eat it or screw it, i just pee on it and walk away

bcroe

Those sensors are notorious for failures, but they only affect engine operation when cold.  Like not having a choke.  The sensor provides the nearly linear signal needed by the analog design ECU.  Newer sensors aren't suitable alternates, with a log temp curve. 

If you only have one good sensor, make sure it is the one in the coolant (they are interchangeable).  This one has far more influence on fuel enrichment, than the air temp sensor. 

There always seem to be a few 70s sensors to be found, but the price keeps creeping up.  They were originally made by HEWITT INDUSTRIES in Huntington Beach.  A couple years ago this company made another production run, they sent me a prototype.  I believe these are the source of the current supplies.  It remains to be seen, if the new units are any more long lived than the originals.  I'd like to hear from new buyers.  Meantime, I carry a spare sensor with me (along with an ECU and the special HEI).  Bruce Roe

Gene Beaird

Bringing this up from a back shelf, blowing the dust off.   Since I'm about to become the happy new owner of a 79 Seville, I was wondering if this is the sensor that I keep reading about:

http://www.mtscadparts.net/servlet/the-322/EFI-Water-%26-Temp/Detail

If so, I'll grab one or two as spares.  Thank you.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bcroe

That is the one.  A batch of new ones were made a couple years ago.
good luck, Bruce Roe