News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1971 Eldorado covertible top question

Started by bocco, February 27, 2012, 01:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bocco

So I put a new top my Eldo a few months back. The new side tension cables came with short pig tails at about the middle of the cable. They are about 2 inches long and have lugs at the end for an attaching screw. My top also has holes for these to pass through. The car did not have these on the previous top (don't think it was original). I think these are supposed to attach to the center top bow but mine has no holes at all for attachment.

If someone has these on their car and explain or post a pic of the attachment I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Gary
Livermore, CA
1971 Eldorado Convertible

76eldo

These attach to the top rails over the door glass on each side and pull in the side rails when the top goes up and down. If the are not attached your top will bind up coming up and you can damage the mechanism. Better go back to the top shop and get this looked at.

All of the full sized GM top's from 71 to 76 are the same.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bocco

Brian,

If there is any way you can post a picture I would really appreciate it. I'm going to check my side rails tonight to see if I can find screw holes.

Thanks

Gary
Livermore, CA

76eldo

I'll try.

The side cable attachment pulled out of my 76 and when i put the top up, I have to manually move the bow over my head that pivots or else the top will bind.

I'm going to be getting a new top sometime this year and have the cables already.

There's a hole for it for sure, probably a little bigger than 1/8 inch.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bocco

I think that all scissor tops were not quite the same. I accidentely ordered side cables cables for a 72 eldo and they were way to long. It looks like the rear attachment for them is supposed to some where near where the top meets the body at the bottom of the side window. On my 1971 the rear end of the cable (the part with the spring) attaches at the top rear of the side windows. My cables are about 42" long. I'll bet yours are over 60". Now this I don't know for sure but I speculate that in 1971 the early models did not have the pigtail attachment and that it was added mid year which is why I don't think I have the holes to attach the pigtails to.
Livermore, CA

76eldo

Anything is possible.  I was always under the assumption that all of the scissors tops were the same.

The BEST people to call are at Hydro Electric, in Punta Gorda, FL.  http://www.hydroe.com

Give them a call and they will know for sure.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv