News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Interior Color Chips

Started by Cadillac Nut, March 19, 2012, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

I was finally able to find a set of interior color chips for my '58.  My question is, if I have a paint shop scan the chip, is that going to be the closest match to the original color as I can get?  I have no original pieces that would make a decent comparison, almost all are badly discolored or rusted.

Thank you,
Garrett Baker

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If the shop knows what they're doing, the color should be completely acceptable. And since every painted surface will be refinished, a slight variation will be undetectable for all practical purposes.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the paint having the proper amount of gloss: Painted interior surfaces shouldn't have the same sheen as exterior paint and few take the time to replicate painted interior finishes correctly (if at all).   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Nut

Thanks.  My local Cadillac dealership offered to mix the color & I have a Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes store near my house.  Any suggestions as to what I should tell them?  There is a '58 Fleetwood that has been on E-bay with a fantastic original interior, same color scheme as mine. (Well, almost, his is all silver, mine is black with silver)  Seller has excellent photos, I plan on printing some out on quality paper and showing them to the guy mixing the paint. "Make it look like this"   I'm a perfectionist and I want this as close to original as possible. 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Photos are a very bad way to go in matching any color. Depending on
the lighting, the camera, the reproduction process and colorants used
in printing them you can be way off in shade.  I'm talking a noticable
difference when looking at a whole car.

I've been to car shows and once saw two cars side-by-side that
supposedly were repainted the same color -- they weren't even close.

Any good auto paint shop should be able to computer color match your
paint to the set of chips you have, providing they are not faded or
discolored.

As far as the interior, yes they are tough.  My '55 Eldo had a 3 tone
interior color scheme which was a real bear to match.  A good color chip
guy was patient enough to find me information on a '55 Chevy exterior
color that was the same shade as one of the interior colors I needed.

It's not an easy process.  Just to give you an idea, the shop after getting
the initial color match mixed  for my exterior color (Bahama Blue) did 13
spray panel tests while tweaking the formulation before they and I were
satisfied.

Good luck,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Cadillac Nut on March 19, 2012, 09:29:59 PM
Thanks.  My local Cadillac dealership offered to mix the color & I have a Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes store near my house.  Any suggestions as to what I should tell them?  There is a '58 Fleetwood that has been on E-bay with a fantastic original interior, same color scheme as mine. (Well, almost, his is all silver, mine is black with silver)  Seller has excellent photos, I plan on printing some out on quality paper and showing them to the guy mixing the paint. "Make it look like this"   I'm a perfectionist and I want this as close to original as possible.

Perhaps inquire if they can mix a semi-gloss for the interior paint.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Nut

Mike-- I was thinking of  photos in addition to the chip.  Just to give the paint guy an idea of what I'm going for & give him something to look at besides the chip.  Perhaps it's a bad idea, but I'll bring the photos, just in case... Trying to match just from a photo would be a nightmare!  I'd hate to see what that color would turn out as :)  I have not gotten the chips yet, but  E-bay seller specializes in old auto literature, so I would hope he wouldn't sell faded chips.  It would be handy if I had some piece of the interior to compare with, but I have nothing.  The dash itself is only part that has much of the original paint color left, but I'd never use it as a sample, who knows how faded it is.  Ever other metal part is a gross yellow color.  Even in hidden areas.  I'm thinking at least one of the owners was an extremely heavy smoker, just about everything is yellow, when it should be silver.  Did you have a sample from your '55 Eldorado for any of the colors?  I'm a total perfectionist so I expect the mixing to take a while.   There's never anyone at my local Sherwin Williams auto finishes (surprised it's still in business) so they should have plenty of time.... Of course, then I could have it mixed to my satisfaction, spray it on, and not be happy, like what happened to you.....  Thanks for your help.  If you're interested, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. 

Eric-- Thanks, that gives me somewhere to start.   Thanks to both of you for your help & input.

Best Regards,
Garrett