News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

49 Fleetwood for sale

Started by Caddy Wizard, January 08, 2013, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Selling my gold 49 Fleetwood.  Pretty good condition.  Runs and drives well.  New brakes (shoes, lines, hoses, cylinders, dual master, etc), exhaust, battery, starter, etc.  Rebuilt fuel pump, brake pedal shaft/bushing, etc.  Working gauges.  Good paint, nice chrome/stainless, good body, fair interior.  Nearly rust-free.  Selling on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-Cadillac-Fleetwood-60S-/321050667398?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac01c6986

Reasonable price for a pretty good car!  Don't miss out...

Art G
404 375 3750
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Caddy Wizard

I am surprised by the low level of interest in this car.  Perhaps I have been too honest about its condition.  It is a good car, just not a show car.  Hmm...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

MB49Caddy

I think you are OK Art. Had I not just purchased the car from Joe I would have called you. Not the best time of year to sell these cars; Spring will be better I think. It looks like a nice driver!

MB
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Jeff Maltby 4194

The 48-9 60S, along with the 75S, have always been undervalued in the market place.

Top of the line cars back then but not much demand for some reason ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Tito Sobrinho

I grew up with these cars IMHO, the '49 Fleetwood was the most beautiful of the entire 49 line sporting 133 wheel base length and free of chrome appendages of the '50, '51,'52 and '53 Fleetwods that were shorter with 130 wheel base. I like also my '49 convertible with the low profile slope trunk lid instead of the bubble back lid introduced later on in the 61, 62 sedans and convertibles in lieu of more trunk space.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Caddy Wizard

These cars are usually hard to acquire and command good interest.  I am just hitting a minor lull in the market.  Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks...
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

I ran the ebay listing again.  Auction ends tomorrow.  Lots of people watching this auction.  Low reserve.

We'll see....
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

Lots of bidders on the car now and the auction ends this afternoon.  Looks like it will sell today.  If you are interested, jump in...
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

Art Gardner

MB49Caddy

Dang Art...timing is everything. I would have been your guy.
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Caddy Wizard

I take it you have already purchased a car.  Mine is still available, although I expect this low price to deliver a sale this week...
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

auction ends tomorrow.  price is a bargain...
Art Gardner

Louis Smith

Caddy Wizard

Louis,

I have this 49 Fleetwood priced pretty darned low and it has almost 70 people actively following the auction on eBay.  It will probably sell this week, but who knows? 

I don't think this bargain price is representative of any sort of collapse in the market -- this week I sold my other old car, a 1956 Fleetwood, for about triple this price.  So the market is still pretty decent.  To sell a car at a high price, you just have to have a car that lots of people want or if the car has very limited interest, you happen upon a buyer who is dying for that particular car.  I am usually very lucky in that respect and have often matched up the cars I've sold with the perfect buyer for that car (generating excellent prices).  On this 49 Fleetwood, I am not trying to get very much for it, really.  If I would wait until spring and maybe do a bit more to it, I am confident I could get a lot more than this.  But I am ready to step out of this car now, rather than wait.  Someone is going to get an excellent value.

Art
Art Gardner

Louis Smith

Art,

I completely agree with your assessment of the present state of the classic car market.  While there is plenty of individuals above 40+ who still have a great interest in owning an classic car, my concern is with the younger generation.  Many times when perusing ads for older Cadillacs, I see great cars for sale, that have been inherited by younger people.  They have no interest in keeping their grandparents/parents car, and want to get rid of it.  Time will tell, what is in the future for collector cars.

Caddy Wizard

BJM,

If the car had a nice interior, it wouldn't be priced at $9,000.  You can't expect everything to be perfect for this price.

Art
Art Gardner

Dan LeBlanc

Art and BJM

You both have valid points. 

Unfortunately, buyers are more unwilling to part with their money and expect more these days for less money.

Personally, the seat upholstery kills it for me also.  I loved, loved, loved the car until I saw the seats.  I would rather see a serviceable original interior (even with a couple split seams and a bit of dirt) than the Santa Fe motif.

Not trying to offend or down your car - just giving the insight of a potential customer.

I think it would be much more marketable if the seats were redone and the price adjusted accordingly than at a lower price and not redone.  The door panels look great, if the seats matched and were done, it would be very appealing, even at a higher price.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

Dan,

I take no offense and don't disagree with your points.

Art
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

My 56 Fleetwood is being driven to Texas as I type this.  I am now down to just this one 1949 Cadillac and it is for sale.

Art
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

Dan,

If you like the car, why don't you get it?  I have it priced so low ($8700) that if you put some money into an interior, you wouldn't get hurt.

Art

Quote from: BJM on February 17, 2013, 11:55:41 AM
I looked at the car as well.  I was pleasantly surprised scrolling through the photos but the replacement upholstery was a big turn off. The devil as they say, is sometimes in the details.   Getting original look and feel upholstery is often compromised because of cost, difficulty to duplicate the original upholstery and finding a competent upholsterer to correctly duplicate the original.

I am not disagreeing that your car was otherwise a very nice car but my 1st thought was "I'll have a $2000 bill to correct the upholstery.
Art Gardner