News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Restoring California black plates ideas.

Started by 62 driver, March 15, 2013, 12:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

Any tip on the best way to restore black plates?  How have you done it? What is the yellow color? Did you roll the yellow lettering? Any ideas would be helpfully.  Thanks Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dave,
There are "people" that do it. The yellow is hard to get right. Check with local rod & custom guys. Be advised that Kalifornia has put the squeeze on many plate issues. Wink!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Ken Perry

The professional restorations of Ca,black plates I have seen were perfect show quality! One guy I knew sent a set off ,the front one was bent bad and riped,they came back perfect! I would start by looking in Hemings Motor News under plate resoration. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

R Schroeder

One of the best.

http://www.restoreatag.com/?gclid=COzfu7O9_rUCFetFMgodCQgASw

Ebay also has many that are original.
I picked 1963 , because that was the last year , but I'm sure there are many others cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R5&_nkw=california+license+plates+1963&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Roy

62 driver

I really want to do it myself.  It the accomplishment of doing it that I enjoy. I am enjoying going to adult auto body night school at 60 years old for that very reason.
Dave

R Schroeder

Check out You-tube . I saw some guys on there doing it.
Roy

J. Gomez

Dave I restore mine and I was happy they way the turned out. The yellow paint I used was the old caterpillar yellow formula from a rattle and shake can. It matched the original color on the plates. I purchase the can from TSM (tractor supply) not sure if you have them in the Cali area.

If you do a Google search there are multiple postings on other forum from folks that had done plate restoration themselves, and as Roy mention there are YouTube video clips also.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

62 driver

J Gomez, I have looked at YouTube.  Did you do the black first? Did you use hardner?  How did you put the yellow on the raised letters?  By brush, roller or tape?  Did you do California plates?
Thanks Dave

J. Gomez

Dave,

I first stripped the old paint and smooth a few rough areas, apply primer and then used a black semi gloss rattle automobile paint can, nothing fancy. It all depends on how meticulous you would want to be in painting the plates; I’d decided the simpler way not going to the extreme.

The raised letters and numbers I taped around the edges and sand them before applying the yellow in several light layers. Since the paint is glossy I used wet sand paper to doll the gloss a bit.

I recalled reading on one of the forums (not sure which one) someone suggested applying the paint to a glass pane and then lay the plates over so the raised numbers and letters would get a smooth even layers of paint. There was a name for that technique just can’t remember what’s called.

My plates are from Texas and if I remember the Cali plates have the same yellow color on the letters and number.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

62 driver

J. Gomez,  thanks for the information. The glass idea sound good to me. I have striped the plate so I will make a dry run with left over water base house paint. The word California would be to hard to tape off for me. I tried that already.
Dave