News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Film: Henry M. Leland Speaking and Riding in 1906 Cadillac

Started by T Boyce, May 04, 2013, 10:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Boyce

Link to amazing video of Cadillac founder Henry Leland from about 1931 that reminds us that automotive history is important:

http://mirc.sc.edu/fedora/repository/usc%3A2844

Near the end, Leland, his son and grandson go for a drive in a 1906 Cadillac (pulled by a towrope!) on the streets of Detroit.
T.  Boyce

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Enjoyed that. First time I ever heard the voice of H M Leland. I guess they couldn't get the old girl to fire up on that day.

Thanks for posting.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

Great film which inspired me to do a  short research on Henry Leland.  What a visionary and engineer. His dislike of mediocrecy  and early affiliation with Ransom Olds was very interesting along with his founding of the Lincoln brand and his battles with the Ford family after they bought Lincoln, and his battles with the IRS. His accomlishments are milestones in industry as much as the auto industry. His assistance on quality scorning the "good is good enough" philosophy and insisting on greatness in his products and production methods makes me wonder what our Cadillacs would be like today if he had not joined GM and kept his standards. His cars would be Rolex quality  today if that were the case??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

R Schroeder

Louis Smith

Quote from: gary griffin on May 04, 2013, 12:00:14 PM

Great film which inspired me to do a  short research on Henry Leland.  What a visionary and engineer. His dislike of mediocrecy  and early affiliation with Ransom Olds was very interesting along with his founding of the Lincoln brand and his battles with the Ford family after they bought Lincoln, and his battles with the IRS. His accomlishments are milestones in industry as much as the auto industry. His assistance on quality scorning the "good is good enough" philosophy and insisting on greatness in his products and production methods makes me wonder what our Cadillacs would be like today if he had not joined GM and kept his standards. His cars would be Rolex quality  today if that were the case??

Rolex quality with Rolex prices, which would have resulted in the great majority of us being in the Oldsmobile or Buick club.