News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Need 1941 Cadillac Series 62 Washer Jar

Started by 41coupe, May 05, 2013, 02:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41coupe

HI... I am new to the Forum, as well as, a new 1941 Cadillac owner. I understand that the windshield washer jar is square, and attaches with a "bail" affair, to hold it into the mechanism. I need both the jar, and the bail. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks  Phil 

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Hello Phil

I am *not* a washer expert but looked into this awhile for my 41 last year, hoping this is helpful. The prewar jars and pumps are different than the postwar ones. Included in the differences is that the prewar jar is stencil painted, (for which I did not find a source so may need to make your own stencil) while the postwar jars have a sticker that is widely available as reproductions. Pumps look similar too. I've found complete postwar NOS kits on ebay even though they were aftermarket (say Trico) not GM which as you can see in the prewar versino photo was just relabeled by them. Furthermore, I'm unable to find anyone to rebuild the vacuum pump on either a pre or first generation postwar pump. McVey's and potentially others have a service for 50's vintage pumps but that setup looks entirely different.

Depending upon your requirements - judging, function, etc, you may wish to go with a postwar washer setup. I'm not attempting to hijack the direction of your post and of course I get the idea of it should be original if it's there, judging can be impacted, and so on. I'd like one myself. But given the reality, until I come upon one, I just cleaned up and painted my old postwar one (didn't need a sticker but could have had one), told myself that there were probably many added while the car was in service after the war so would have gotten the postwar version, and moved on.  FWIW.

Edit - I have now seen the prewar photo to be unusuable, replacing with another.

1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

My postwar (dirty and all but as I originally obtained the car) washer setup on my prewar car - my sense is that it doesn't look too far out of place, your call of course for your purposes:
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's an old post on 48-49 washer bottles.

I paid $400 for my nos bottle/decal in the Cadillac box from Al Keefe..my buddy ?  :<)

In 1990, the New England chapter sold a reproduction "Transparent" decal in the Self Starter that isn't offered by anyone today but as I recall for 41-50 ?

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=116493.msg190464#msg190464
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

I also have the orange and blue decal on my '49s' WW bottle.  Don't remember where I bought it.  There is a similar dark blue with white lettering decal for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-1949-1950-1951-1952-Cadillac-Windshield-Washer-Jar-Decal-/221222804695?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3381e81cd7&vxp=mtr#ht_4338wt_798
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

41coupe

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry. I found the jar, and the metal bail, and now they are installed in my 41'.   Phil

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's my Nos 49 washer bottle transparent (4" L X 3" W ) decal in living color.

Reproductions are 4 x 2 :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500