News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

346 flat head no start?

Started by cadillac60, July 04, 2013, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Phillips

Bruce
To me the test with the carb off is revealing. It sounds as if you either have a massive vacuum leak, or the throttle butterfly's are not opening. I am assuming you have verified the butterfly's opening when the throttle is operated. If no, please check that. A vacuum leak that major has to be a split hose, a ruptured diaphragm in the vacuum pump, or similar major failure in the vacuum advance, washer or wiper circuits. Try plugging all vacuum ports on the carb and manifold.  To me, a split diaphragm in the vacuum pump would be the biggest leak.

Hope this helps

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

cadillac60

Thanks Paul & Art I will check the Vac pump the butterfly valves appear OK.

Bruce W
Bruce Watson

Tito Sobrinho

Bruce, please read again my previous post (Lack of air). Just poking your finger on the butterfly choker is not going to tell that it works as they always flip due to  its spring and when "cold", it should have a space between the flap and the carburetor wall. I doubt about vacuum leak at the fuel pump because if you had this problem, the engine always start but with a rough idling.
Send your carburetor to an expert rebuilder and make sure upon its installation that the choke tube is well placed into the exhaust manifold oven
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Steve Passmore

Worked on a 31 Chrysler many years ago that would try to start but couldn't, turned out the owner had assembles the carb directly to the manifold with no insulator or gaskets ever,    over the years of tightening the flanges had become warped with a good 60 thou clearance in the center, he was adamant that wouldn't make that difference but after I ground a good surface on the base of the carb and fitted some good gaskets she fired up!  It would have to be a bigger vacuum leak than the diaphragms to stop it starting.
I think your going for a record with this length of post Bruce ;D.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Richardonly

Sounds like you are so close to the end of your search for the problem!

I have been following this post since it's start and I am happy that it "appears" to be close to the end.  I am also glad for you and the possible end to the frustration you have been through.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

cadillac60

Steve, I am overwhelmed with the responses from the forum & very appreciative of the interest shown. I certainly wasn't  going for a record, but it is such a puzzle that it appeared to have got a lot of interest. Again thank you for your response.  I will test the vacuum at the wiper end of the connection from the pump. I am sure with turning the engine over there it should create enough vacuum to show if the pump diaphragm is ok.

Bruce

Art,
Thanks for your response and kind gesture in reference to the Carb.  The model No. on the carb is 595SA Carter and on the 48 it has the vacuum advance.

Bruce Watson
Bruce Watson

cadillac60

Art,

As mentioned in the last post The model No of the Carb that is now on the car is 595SA Carter  The Stromberg Model that was also used in 1948 was AAV26  380154  Both Carbs were 1 1/4 Dual Downdraft.  My car is a 1948 series 61 Cadillac.

Regards

Bruce Watson
Bruce Watson

joeceretti

I apologize for having nothing to add to help you. I have been following this thread and must say that I have learned a lot. I do hope you get this running soon. I am cheering for you.

cadillac60

Art,

Message sent advise that you rec'vd my info,

Regards

Bruce Watson
Bruce Watson

cadillac60

Joe,

Besides having so much advice from so many people now I have a cheering section!! The response is overwhelming,

Thanks
B. Watson
Bruce Watson

cadillac60

Art,

I got the UPS notice of shipping,

Thanks again,

Bruce Watson
Bruce Watson

Richardonly

I am hoping for the best for you!!!!!!!

Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

harry s

Got my fingers crossed.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

cadillac60

Thanks Harry & Richard, this has been a slow process but I hope it has paid off.

B. Watson
Bruce Watson

joeceretti

Waiting semi-patiently for a resolution to this.

Richardonly

1995 Jaguar XJ6

cadillac60

Art,

I put on your Stromberg Carb & unfortunately it made no difference, the car would not start.

Bruce Watson
Bruce Watson

Rod Dahlgren #19496

OK, I am back----  Bruce, have you tried to keep it running by using carb cleaner spray? Small shot, start it give it small continuing shots to keep it running.. Have you done this?  I think all of us would like to know if it will KEEP RUNNING with continued small shots of carb clean.
Need to know the answer to this one question first... then we go from there. Yes, I have other questions,, but one thing at a time.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

joeceretti

Disappointed here, not as much as you, but I was hoping that was the problem.

Rod Dahlgren #19496

if you have seen the size of the timing chain in in the 346, you will dismiss this as the problem.

to check for a worn chain, you only need to remove the dist cap. . see where the dist rotor is pointing.. turn the engine slow ONE direction until you see the rotor move make a reference mark on the crank pulley and timing pointer.... then turn the engine back the opposite direction... UNTIL you see the rotor jut begin to move.. STOP and look at your mark on the crank pulley--- HOW MUCH did the crank pulley reference mark move from your first mark? if it moved away 1/2 inch or so--- the chain has wear, but not enough to jump.. it must move 2 inches or so to be able to jump.

so--- back to my last post-------- WILL IT CONTINUE TO RUN WITH A SMALL SHOT OF CARB CLEAN TO KEEP IT RUNNING?
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?