News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1969 Deville Convertible rear seat back bolts

Started by David P. Barter, July 21, 2013, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David P. Barter

Can anyone tell me what the bolts are that hold the seat back in on 1969 Cadillac Deville convertible. When I removed the seats to replace the top mechanism and top, the seat back was bolts in with single wood lag instead of the factory bolts. I would like to put back the correct bolts but obviously I have nothing to reference it against. Fisher Body manual just calls them bolts not size, thread or anything. Any help would be appreciated.
David Barter
CLC # 27232
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day David,

Sorry I cannot assist in the actual size, but I would have thought in 1969, with Seat Belts as standard, the rear seat back would have been retained by the Seat Belt Bolts at the outer point.

Do you have a picture of the area?

Where the Seat Belt Bolt isn't used, I have seen self-tapping bolts screwed directly into the sheet metal.   These have a 3/8" or 7/16" head, and a large flat washer to stop the bolt from slipping between the seat wire.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

I have a 1970 Cadillac convertible with those two bolts you asked about.  What happens is the original bolts often get stripped (the sheet metal that it screws into) and larger bolts are required.  On your car they used wood lag screws.  The originals are not much different really.  The originals are about a # 10 or # 12 with 3/8" (or 7/16") bolt head and a 1.5" washer that can't be removed.  Unless you can repair the sheet metal, you will need to use larger screws - non original.  Since the screws are completely hidden best to have a screw that holds the seat down real good so it does not rattle than the original correct screw.  On my car one screw is original the other a larger size threaded screw.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know that not many people do this, but when you reinstall the screws, put a bit of sealer around the thread to seal out the outside moisture from getting in.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

I agree with the posts above.

I had a rear quarter window off the track on my 70 DeVille.  It's a low mile original and i don't think the seat was ever taken out.

The seat back had (can't remember exactly) either Phillips or hex head bolts with large washers and they were self tapping screws going through the body.  The seat belts are bolted through the floor and stay there with the full seat bottom and back removed.

Any long screw of similar size and washer will do, and they are covered up and not seen.

My car had a build sheet under there too.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David P. Barter

Thanks Everyone. This is just the info I was looking for and appreciate all the feedback. You guys are great!
David Barter
CLC # 27232
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan