News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Drum Brakes

Started by Coupe Deville, July 26, 2013, 06:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello, My 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible has the original 4 wheel drum brakes. I have a few questions. How often should i adjust the brake shoes? They are not self adjusting. I know that non self adjusting brakes require a little more attention than self adjusting.  And one more thing. I have adjusted the brakes before but never tuched the brake fluid. I would like to know what type of brake fluid it requires? The original MC cap just says use GMC brake fluid. What Should I use? Thank you for the advice.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dave Shepherd

Don't know how old the fluid is but for 20.00 you can get a brake fluid tester or just flush the system, adjustment is based on pedal feel, does it pull, are any of ther wheel cylinders showing any rust if the boots are pulled back, there really is no time/mileage interval here. If all is ok just perform the basic adjustment.

curly

I use DOT 3 in my 59, DOT 4 is acceptable as well.  The main difference is the boiling point, 4 is higher.

T Lewis

Coupe Deville

-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dave Shepherd

I use Dot 4 it is about 20% less hydroscopic.