News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1959 Series 62 Convertible yard find

Started by Blade, October 15, 2013, 03:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

Quote from: mgbeda on October 29, 2013, 02:37:04 PM
What a fantastic find!  I love the color.  One sees many '59s in red, white, black, and of course pink, but I don't think I've ever seen a kelly green one before.  Enjoy!

Thank you Mike, yes I feel fortunate finding this car, especially because of the special colors. In my search so far I have seen just a very few Kensigton green cars but they all had the standard green interior so I'm hoping this one is going to be unique. I'll definitely continue my research.

I have also been following your restoration of Bessie, it's amazing and very encouraging watching you work on it and progress with it. For sure makes me work harder on my car too!  :)

Blade

I just received the build sheet from GM, couple of things I can't decode: outlet code = ATT, order number=22 and also wondering why under date built it says YR=13? Anybody can translate these? Thank you!

Blade

Thanks Palle, I had some of these code but not a full list yet. Thanks again!

Good luck with your new purchase!

Antti A

Hi Blade,

How can I order the build sheet? What codes I need and how much this will cost? Is this an original copy (appereance) or is it just rewritten?

Thanks!

Antti
Antti Asunmaa - Industrial designer - Finland

http://garage59.blogspot.fi/

Blade

Quote from: Antti A on November 19, 2013, 02:31:25 AM
Hi Blade,

How can I order the build sheet? What codes I need and how much this will cost? Is this an original copy (appereance) or is it just rewritten?

Thanks!

Antti

Antti, here is the link to the order page, it will cost you $50 for the copy of the build sheet (well worth it if you ask me). It is a photocopy of the actual document, they have a sample page on their website that you can look at.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=4

Let me know if you need any more information.

Blade~

59-in-pieces

Tibor,
I have not seen a posting from you in 30 days or so.
Have you started posting under another heading.
Do you still like the snow or were you mugged by a Callie surfer, skiing.
Jokes aside - I ran across these photos of a Coupe and Eldorado but with your Kensington Green paint and thought you might want to see them too - a glimpse of your future.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Blade

Hi Mike and Steve,

She is hybernating right now as my garage is unheated at this point and our winter temepratures do not allow many days to work out there, but a garage insulation and heater installation is in order next spring and then will also resume the work. I do work on it here and there but nothing considerable. I did, however brought in some smaller parts into the house and working on those as time permitting. The clock is running again and many small parts/chrome is shining again.

I am, however happy to see that it is just as the previous ower has described it, a running vehicle originally that was simply parked and forgotten for the past 25 years. Everything is/was frozen on it but after some oiling and moving once again coming alive again.

Far as the body goes most things are only covered with a heavier surface rust and aside from the floor panels, the seats (especially the front seat) and a little on the side that was facing south not much rust is present. The trunk lid will need replacing as it was dented, and the hood has some more considerable rust at the edges wich probably again best to swap out with another one rather than patching it. Frame, engine, transmission looks good, and even the front windows survived due to being left rolled down and the doors protected them. Thanks to 'CadCliff' I also have a replacment vent window with original E-Z-Eye tinted glass to replace the current window with broken glass. An aftermaket windshield is planned to be installed as I will be driving the car on weekends and couldn't imagine chipping/cracking an original glass.

Engine: removed the generator and the power steering pump and filled the cylinders with oil. Not planning to turn the engine but rather tear it down and restore it completely and also going to do the same with the transmission, as long as it's out of the car best to rebuild them both the same time. The 'frozen parts' on the carburetor are also moving again, but then I am also going to send that over to a shop and have it completely rebuild.

Steve: thank you for the pictures, I have seen the Eldo on the net before but not the Coupe yet; looks like she is one of ours? I continue my search and while I did find just a few Kensington green cars all had the standard interior colors, have not found another one with this color combination so I am still hoping she will be a unique order.

Attached is a couple of pictures from earlier this fall as she is getting stripped down -- sorry for the mess on the bench, I had to cut down an over hanging shelf in order to open the top and I just threw everything there ...  :-[

52Cadillac

I not sure what all the fuss is about the cold. Here in coastal, South Carolina it'll be up to about 64 degrees out, and I'll be tinkering with Mack the Cadillac in our garage. Hehe. Sometimes it's colder in my garage then outside, and I have to open the doors to let in the warmer air. Can you believe it, the hassle of it all. Jk. Have a good time at it. The old convertibles are still hiding out there waiting to be found.
Mike

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

59-in-pieces

Tibor,
Glad you are still tinkering.
I wouldn't worry about the mess on your work bench.
I would worry about working on car parts in the house at the dining room table.
I know my wife wasn't too happy about it and it rarely gets below 50 here in So.Cal.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Blade

Mike, Steve, please send us some of those warm temperatures over here, although currently we're in the 20s for daytime just a couple of weeks ago one day our highest temp was -17 with between -40 -50 windchill.  :-[

I agree Mike, stuff still seem to be out there just need to be found.

Blade

... and a few more teasers.

Shorty64cad

Tibor, I'll swap you some of your cold for our heat.  It's 110 degrees here in Melbourne, Australia.  Combined together we would make a beautiful day for Caddy driving!

Greg.
Greg Short.  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Member No. 26803
1969 Eldorado

Blade

Hello Greg,

How I wish we could merge the two, certainly would make it a nice weather to cruise around.  :)

59eldorado

Quote from: Blade on January 15, 2014, 10:30:39 PM
Mike, Steve, please send us some of those warm temperatures over here, although currently we're in the 20s for daytime just a couple of weeks ago one day our highest temp was -17 with between -40 -50 windchill.  :-[

I agree Mike, stuff still seem to be out there just need to be found.
Tibor, do you when those pictures date date from? Hard to believe they are less than 25 years old... who would let treasures like these fall to pieces these days?
Georg
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2017 CT6

Blade

The ones I know of are actually fairly recent pictures. The black flower car's owner just posted those pictures a couple of years ago, the very rusty eldorado I have seen someone just trying to buy maybe a couple of months ago, the white Seville was just sold late last year (it is now fully restored). The white series 62 convertible in the tall dry grass was used as a parts car then pushed into the ditch and abandoned (I am not sure where) and the white eldorado next to the Volvo is in Sweden and is not for sale.

Sorry, don't know anyting about the rest of them.

Streamlined1

Hi there, I enjoyed seeing your pictures.  I recently picked up a 1959 convertible project.  Problem is the project is in many pieces strewn in boxes of parts.  Where might I find a diagram of how and where all the pieces go together?  Would it be possible for you to take some detailed photos of the top hydraulic mounting system.  I found pieces but don't know exactly how it goes together or where it is fastened.  Thanks G
You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take.   Wayne Gretzky

Coupe Deville

Always makes me sad to see all of those 59s wasting away untouched. Its like someone spends their whole life looking for a 59 Eldorado, and then they find one crumpled up, hardly recognizable in someone's backyard. Makes me sick to think about. People always say there is less and less of these cars around. Now we know where they all went.....
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

59-in-pieces

G,
What is G short for
Where is G.
You might want to join the CLC and become an active posting member too - strongly recommend.
You should get a Master Parts Book and a Shop Manual - both paper - Disc is too unfriendly.
Glad to help with photos for a kindred 59 restorer - just let me know what area you want to focus on first.
As most members who know me, I know a photo is worth more than a thousand words.
Lots of folks here in the club with 59's who are eager to help.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher