News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

My first Caddy!

Started by gregm, November 06, 2013, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregm

Quote from: David Smith on November 11, 2013, 10:08:56 AM
That is true.   I looked at the bias ply dual stripes and you are right that the stripes are not correct, plus the inferior handling characteristics of a bias ply were a deterrent too.

I bought the Hankook tires at first as well.   With so many other things that needed attention and money thrown at, I couldn't justify the cost of the Diamondback radial dual stripes.     But now that I have crossed off several of the items on my "to do" list, the Hankooks just looked so bland compared to my friends who had triple stripes on their 66s.       I won't lie and say I was happy shelling out $1100 for the custom made radial dual stripes.   It is a lot of money.  But in the grand scheme of things it really isn't a lot of money when we tally up the costs of restoration or mechanic servicing.   Seems like nothing is inexpensive anymore.    Plus I just put the cost on my Amex card to rack up some Delta Sky miles and spread out the pain-ments.   LOL

Pulling up to the guys at the next show with my dual stripes and getting cheers made it all worth it.

So yours are radials? I did not realize that...these are bias ply...
http://www.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?header_year=1968&header_make=CADILLAC&header_model=Eldorado&q=900-15
The stripes are not correct but they are 900 x 15 bias plys...hmm...what to do...I wonder if Coker can make a correct bias ply?

These are a little smaller but a single WW bias ply:
http://www.cokertire.com/popular-tire-applications/cadillac/820-15-u-s-royal-1-whitewall-tire.html
I do like that bias ply profle...
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Rob Troxel

The Camaro Vacuum canister motors can be used though you have to get the rod end threaded for the clevis pin "c" bracket. 

gregm

Quote from: David Smith on November 11, 2013, 03:41:04 PM
As far as I know, Coker only makes the dual stripes in Bias ply. Diamondback makes them on radials.   Mine are made on Toyos.

I don't want this to become an impairment to moving forward right now; I have to take care of that roof...priority...and need tires so I can get around. I can live with the Hancocks...gotta change all fluids and get this car on the road as it needs to be driven...get the feeling its been sitting and subjected to short start ups for a while as misses when cold and smells rich...   
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

gregm

Tracked down a previous owner today. He only owned the car for a short period of time in 2008-2009 and sold it to the guy in MI who sold it to me on ebay.

He told me that he got the car on ebay around 2008 and its an interesting story. However, its a dead end at the moment.

Does anyone recall a church in Carlisle PA auctioning off a collection of cars that had been donated to the church by the estate of an elderly car collector? They were sold on ebay by a guy named Jeff on behalf of the church back around 2008.

From what I am told the collection was mostly all Corvairs and pretty extensive. The Eldo was the only Cadillac and I am trying, ultimately, to track down the estate representative to find out how long the old man had the car for and, hopefully,  where he got it from.

I posted on a couple of Corvair forums...I will probably write to Carlisle productions...anyone know anybody who may have info on that church car donation?   

If anyone has any info or knows someone who might know please contact me.

gregm

I need a dust cover for indoor use for the Eldo. With the length of that front end I doubt the universal covers sold in the auto parts store will fit.

There is $48.99 cover sold on epay...anyone ever use it?

gregm

I am moving soon so my time is limited but wanted to get tires on this car so I can drive her...man, she barely fits on the lift...thought I would have to move my tool box...

I was surprised to find they were bias ply yet had a P235 75 R 15 metric sizing...what year did that start?

Large sidewall profile...anyone ever hear of Lee?

This is either 1973 or 1983...either way they had to go...

The radials actually look a little smaller with the lower sidewall profle...

Looks stealthy without the hubcaps...

This is what I have in the rear...they look new...

I assume these are AC Delco air shocks? I know the original vacuum operated ride adjusters in the back were problematic and routinely replaced  with air shocks.

What do originals look like?

How many lbs should I put in the rear shocks as car sits kinda' low in the rear.   

austingta

Quote from: Glen on November 11, 2013, 02:25:56 AM
The antenna is manually operated power.  By that I mean you have to operate it with a switch.  The switch is the tuning knob on the radio.  You press it in to raise the antenna and pull it out to lower it.

My 66 deVille convertible works this way too. The power antenna works perfectly while the AM radio is dead.