News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

My Eldorado convertible

Started by sding, January 16, 2014, 11:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sding

It's a 1985, I purchased her last May. Great summer in Anchorage, AK!

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Looks good.    Is it a well cared for original or has it had some 'restoration' work done?   

Too bad they could not get the top to tuck down a little better on those.  I have never liked the converts that were like that, the 'bulge' messes up what otherwise are nice clean lines.

Wheels and tires look odd to me, are they a different than stock size?  Or aftermarket wheel with a different offset?   Can't quite put my finger on it.   Maybe its just the white wall is wider than you usually see that late?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

T J,

Your comment about the top not tucking in reminds me of a personal experience. In th early 60's I had a 1954 Jaguar XK120 drophead coupe.  The convertible top piled up behind the drivers seat about 12 inches and I considered it ugly and eventually sold the car.  That was the "rare" model rather than the nicer looking roadster.   I sold it and bought a 1951 Cadillac sedan for my daily driver.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

There are a lot of convertibles over the years that I bet the designer of the hard top version was very ticked off when the higher ups decided to basically cut the top off and just kinda put a convert top on.     That is one nice thing about the upper end converts these days, they all seem to have a 'hard boot' that is part of the body that lifts up to nicely hide the top when its down. 

Looking at the picture of his Eldo makes me want to go drive my 81 Riv.  Been driving the VW the last few days.  I miss having a hood, especially a nice long monster like those E's have.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

sding

Thanks guys, I am new to this forum.  Joined a few months ago and was hesitant to post after seeing the amazing and very expensive cadillac's you all have.  I wasn't sure if me and my little 85 Eldorado would fit in.  She is my baby. 

The car was garaged every winter and driven very little in the summer time.  It has 85,000 miles on it.  The wire spoked wheels are correct, the tires are not.  She needs a little work and will be back to ask some advice from guys I know that know what they are talking about.  Thanks again, Scott

76eldo

The wire wheels are a dealer add on. They are made by Appliance.
The trim rings are very prone to falling off. It's common for them to make a jingle jangle noise going down the road. They are completely impossible to find if you lose one.
The caps are not available either.  If I were you, I would take the trim rings off, clean the backs and the mating surface on the rim and put a nice bead of clear silicone on them and put them back on with the rims laying flat and glue those trim rings on there.

I like the way they look and had them on my 84 coupe and my 85 conv.
The wires Vogue Tyres and the chrome RR style grille were profitable dealer add on's and very popular at the time.

Look up Ht4100 coolant changes on Google for valuable info on your car.

I have lots of parts for these cars.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Two Crabs

The Mercedes SL 500 has the best top of them all. The engineering that it took to have a trunk lid that functions both as a trunk lid then reverses itself to let the hard top fold down into the trunk and still leave plenty of room for soft luggage is amazing.
Two Crabs
1973 Eldorado Convertible

76eldo

The Mercedes tops are a great design but really expensive to fix.  Cadillac should have had something like this on the Allante's for sure.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

Quote from: 76eldoI like the way they look and had them on my 84 coupe and my 85 conv.

Look up Ht4100 coolant changes on Google for valuable info on your car.

I have lots of parts for these cars.    Brian     

I've had 3 of those E cars, all the Olds powered 79.  Somehow mine never stay as nice
looking as that, after 2 or 3 times that mileage.  But I do have gobs of running gear parts. 
Bruce Roe

sding

were all the 85 convertible Biarritz trim?

76eldo

Cadillac offered Eldorado's as convertibles with a separate VIN designation in 1984 and 1985. There were 2300 made each year. The cars were all Biarritz models and were sent to ASC (American Sunroof Corp) for the conversions.  There is some additional bracing on the frame, in the trunk, and on the radiator support  however the all have some cowl shake when on bumpy roads with the top down.

Hess and Eisenhardt also made some convertibles during the 79-85 years on the Eldorado's and they are very different. Tops are completely different, cut lines are different, rear upholstery and latches for the top are completely different. They were done on an individual basis and sold new through dealers.

Basically all of them were NOT Biarritz models, but base models loaded with options.

I currently have a 1980 and 81 H and E convertible Eldos and a super rare 85 Touring Coupe convertible,  plus a 1985 Biarritz convertible. That's an ASC car.
There is a federal sticker on the driver's door edge showing the body company that modified the car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

sding

thanks 76eldo for the information 

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 76eldo on January 19, 2014, 09:12:15 AM
Cadillac offered Eldorado's as convertibles with a separate VIN designation in 1984 and 1985. There were 2300 made each year.

Weren't there 3300 made for 1984?

76eldo

As far as I have read over the years it's 2300 each year.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv