News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (SOLD)

Started by CaddyGirl, March 30, 2014, 11:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Owen

Ken , I haven't seen your restorations so I can't comment there are restorations & Bondo jobs with a quick coat of paint.
Even doing a lot of the work yourself it would cost 50K minimum.
60 Seville spend $50K   Value $35,000
59 Biarritz spend $50K   Value $100,000+ 
I know these figures are very rough depending on the type of restoration it could cost thousands more & depending on the restoration the car could be worth thousands more or thousands less.
"60 Eldorados are the next one in line" what about 57's 58's ………..

Smedly

I would have to agree with Ken. Some people just want to be in the shop working on something. The money invested seldom matters and in the end you usually have more invested than you could ever get back out of the project. Hopefully someone snaps this car up, has a lot of fun fixin her, and drives it when she is finished.
Just sayin.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Ken Perry

Why is it when people talk about restoration,if it's not a 100 point Concorse restoration,it's a hak job? What about the guy that just wants a nice driver,nice streight good looking dependable,driver? Also a point to remember the bigest part of the money goes for labor! When you are skilled and cut that cost,the price goes way down! I am in no way talking about doing a 100 point Concorse resto on that car!     Why does it have to be, all or nothing? Is there no place for nice enjoyable,driveable cars???  57 & 58 Eldorados being compared to 59 & 60 Eldorados,is like comparing apples to oranges !  I believe 57 & 58s already bring good money,60 Sevilles are still a good deal !!! You can get a nice one cheaper than a high production 59 coupe???   $35000 for a very nice,air ride,tri power 60 Eldorado Seville ,that is a lot of car for the money and I don't think it's going to stay that way! 8)Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

David Greenburg

As the owner of a nice driver Seville, I hope you're right, Ken. Although I suppose it doesn't really matter to me, since I won't be selling any time soon, and in the meantime will probably spend plenty just keeping it up.  My neighbors think it's a 100 point show car, and it does just fine at local shows, but I don't think it would contend for anything at a GN (assuming there ever is another one on the west coast), and that's not my goal.  I want to drive it and share it's uniqueness/outrageousness. If it were a true #1, I'd be afraid to do that.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Chris Conklin

Quote from: David Greenburg on April 03, 2014, 02:50:39 PM
but I don't think it would contend for anything at a GN (assuming there ever is another one on the west coast)
Is the GN coming to Vegas again in 2016? That's fairly close for us West Coasters.
Chris Conklin

CaddyGirl

In my opinion Caddy's surely don't need to be perfect in looks just perfect under the hood so I know for a fact that I can go anywhere I please in it!  :)
The CaddyGirl

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Chris Conklin on April 03, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
Is the GN coming to Vegas again in 2016? That's fairly close for us West Coasters.

Yupper.  I'm already planning to be at that one too, sans car, however.  My Fleetwood will be at this year's and will make a return once it gets back to the East coast.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Grant Owen

I wasn't talking about restoring this particular car into a #1 show car , spending 50K on this particular car "might" get you a nice driver.
It would be madness to attempt to restore it for what she is asking you could get a rust free 60 Seville needing a lot less work.
And has everyone forgotten there is still a question over this cars originality.
I have noticed that Sarah hasn't confirmed the Vin on frame & engine only the Vin on the Title !!!!

CaddyGirl

Grant I haven't been home at all today or yesterday so that's why I haven't photographed it yet. And AGAIN my price is negotiable. I'd like to get $8000 for this car. Parts alone are worth that.

S. Erickson
The CaddyGirl

Grant Owen

Sarah great idea any doubts over its Authenticity sell the the rare parts & put it out of its misery & send it to the crusher.

Ken Perry

If the frame and engine match the Eldorado VIN,even if you change the complete body,IT's still that car!!! They didn't make Eldorado bodies out of some special magic metal!!!! It's only different holes drilled in the same body! There were no Eldorado GODs that came down and blessed the sheet metal,Sorry Eldorado guys,it's just sheet metal !!!! I have a rust free Ca, 60 Coupe deVille I would take $4000 for, nice bumpers A/C car all good body parts,a few days and you would have a solid Eldorado! People make trim tags,just reserch it and get it rite,it's legal ! Mess with the VIN and Cops will put a gun to your head and you will go to Jail !!!  Even if you want to Lawyer it all up and say it's a fixed Eldorado,,,,IT's still a Eldorado !!!!!!!!!!!   Most of all, be up front and tell people about how the car was fixed !!! A lot of people would love to have a FIXED Eldorado! I'm sure back in the day there were a lot of 59 & 60 Cad Biarritzs and 62 series convertibles that were crushed, that we would love to have back to fix now!   I build Cadillacs,not Kill them !               Ken Perry         
Cadillac Ken

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Ken,

Most everybody here knows what 59/60 Seville/Biarritz are - as well as what they are not.   

Whether you accept it or not, there is most certainly is a difference in collectability, desirability & value between two otherwise identical cars - except that one had been born an Eldorado series car while the other had been altered to make it appear to be an Eldorado series car.

They are not the same any more than an exact copy of the Mona Lisa is not the same as the original work. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Grant Owen

Ken you make it sound so EASY $4000 for a donor car a few days work & you have a nice 60 Seville ,  wish I had your magic Wand will your Wand do the mechanical interior & all the other things that will be needed. Some cars are just to much & would be better suited for parts to help other better examples survive. As for the comments not everyone wants a fully restored car & just a car to Tinker with in their garage the advise I would give anyone start with the best possible car you can afford & for the money this car is not it. Sarah likes to Wheel & Deal in old Cadillacs & make a profit no one can blame her for that , but any good Salesman (sorry lets be PC correct)
Salesperson should know their product .

60eldo

Grant I agree 100%. This thing is a basket case, and is probably worth maybe 4000.00. And then the buyer could maybe get 5-6000 parting it out. Remember the buyer still has to go get it paying towing fees. I would like to see this car survive, and I just partially restored my car 1960 Seville, I bought it for 9000,, Ive got about 30,000 into it and its not even painted, chrome needs to be done and the interior. Ive stopped here cause its just not worth it. I love my car just the way it is,,
Jon. Kluczynski

Ken Perry

I said (solid) not nice! I have no magic wand,just some skill and determination,OH and a back yard full of 59 and 60 Cads. I have No Eldorados,they are expensive and hard to find! Does everything in life have to be looked at from a business point of view? I sometimes find shells of 59 or 60 Cads,even 4 doors  and find parts here and there and put them back together,Becouse I want to!!! I help people,becouse they need help,things like that. I am known as Cadillac Ken becouse I have a lot of Cadillacs and know a lot about them,Not becouse I have 1 nice Cadillac and a pile of money! I have a few nice ones and some of the cars would not make sence for most people to fix,but I fix them becouse I want to and can,and for reasonable $ !If every thing you do in life is for money,then all you have is money!Some cars I have were raped for there parts and left for dead(It's all about the easy money) I pick up a rust free California, Say, 59 flat top Cadillac shell for cheap and put it back together and for less than a complete 59 Cadillac would cost. Some times it is a coupe that got parted for a convert. Bottom line Sarahs Eldorado is savable,it's in California now,there are plenty of rust free parts to fix it here and if a guy shops around,for cheap! Go look at some of the high dollar Cadillacs and you will find fenders,hoods,trunk lids and bumpers from 4 doors,doors and quarter skins from series 62 coupes,parts is parts! Her 60 Seville has most of the Eldo goodies and VIN,whoever gets it can do what they want,I hope it gets fixed! Funny acording to the 60 Seville registry here on the CLC there are not a lot of them left! I gues I will go back to working on my regular 59 and 60 Cads,where nobody gives a crap about numbers matching and where a good part comes from! Ken Perry             
Cadillac Ken

INTMD8

Quote from: Ken Perry on April 04, 2014, 03:01:46 PM
If the frame and engine match the Eldorado VIN,even if you change the complete body,IT's still that car!!! They didn't make Eldorado bodies out of some special magic metal!!!!

Well I have to disagree with the above.  The frame and engine weren't made out of some special magic metal either so if it's ok to re-body why not re-stamp?

I'm fine with whatever is necessary to repair something, if someone wants to do that for themselves as long as there is full disclosure at the time of sale.

In my opinion, the history of a car is as important as the sum of it's parts and I wouldn't personally want a re-bodied Eldo, or hardtop converted to convertible, or even a severely rusted car that has been repaired.

Ken Perry

To change the VIN is a crime ! To change the engine number is not. But should be disclosed to the new  or prospective owner ! When some cars are fixed,like a Duesenburg,they sometimes have to comepletly make some new parts! A man once told me, Boy anything can be fixed,we have a aircraft machine shop at our disposal,if we cant find it we will make it!  I believe all the old Cads are cool! Some people have never even seen a tail fin Cadillac ! And some people wouldn't own one, if you gave it to them,even one that is rare with good history. Myself I like to fix old Cadillacs! Not just shine them. Who knows Sarahs 60 Seville might have a interesting history,average Joe did not go out in 1960 and buy a new 60 Eldorado! If a person buys that car and wants to fix it and has a good time doing it,what is wrong with that? And if it has that VIN it will always be a 60 Eldorado. Ken Perry   
Cadillac Ken

INTMD8

I'm familiar with and enjoy making parts and fixing cars, I just don't believe that you can change the entire body on a car and simply call it the same car.

It really isn't and always needs to have the re-body label attached to it.

"If it has that VIN it will always be a 60 Eldorado"

Well what if it has that vin and a 62 series body with 62 series trim? What if someone put a 60 Impala body on that frame? All I'm saying is it's a little more complicated than the above quoted statement.

Grant Owen

Ken, not everyone has a back yard of spare cars & an aircraft machine shop at they disposal !!. With the car being this rusty surly the frame will have rust what would you do then cut out both frame vin #'s & weld them to another frame. I have restored many Cadillacs & make Cadillac parts I would not even consider working on this car when you can buy a good rust free 60 Seville project for similar money. Even if this car turns out to be Authentic  (Sarah being very slow in providing this) , my opinion will never change it is a parts car & that's all it will ever be.

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T