News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Mr. Artistic Precision Signing In.

Started by Artistic Precision, April 25, 2014, 05:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artistic Precision

I just picked up a 39 Lasalle today. The first Cadillac I've ever owned. Did some nice lil burn outs in it after cruising through the drive through for some food.

Planning full complete kustom frame off restoration. Everything will be touched, top to bottom.

I have been building high end kustom hot rods for the past 11 years. Started in other shops. But I've been doing it on my own for the last 7.

I specialize in high end kustom body and paint. My good friend specializes in amazing sheet metal fabrication. We will be teaming up on this build to create one of the baddest cars we've ever built in our careers.

This car will be built to show, and sell. I will be documenting the entire build through pictures and video, posting weekly on youtube. Plans to take it to all the major shows in California next year as well as SEMA 2015.

I'm in need of some parts. I need a new grill, all 3 pieces. These are too pitted, and one is slightly bent. I'm looking for an original steering wheel, refinished or not. Original Interior pieces, dome light/s door cranks etc. I have a lot of parts I will be taking off and selling. Complete clean side trim, some outer stainless window trims, tail lights, & more. I'll keep you guys updated as I dig into it.

Glad to be here. Till next time...

Davidinhartford

I can see a whole bunch of guys reading this biting their tongues.   

Blade

Congrats on your purchase, looks like it's a lucky find, mostly complete car with a solid body. Just my 2 cents: I wouldn't do too much customizing on a rare car as any LaSalle, remember they were only made for a few years and hard to find anywhere today with probably just a few thousands surviving. I strongly suggest to keep it as original as possible, even possibly selling it to a collector, there are serious fans of these cars here and probably someone would be interested. If you are a hard core customizer perhaps it's best to purchase a more common, higher production car to modify as this car only keeps its high value if it's restored to original condition.

Good luck with your hobby!

Martin Michaels

Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

C.R. Patton II

Hello Mr. Porrino

I will express my viewpoint with a Henry Kissinger impression.

Glad to read of your LaSalle acquisition.  Enjoy!

(I owe Tibor dinner for distibuting my true fellings).
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Artistic Precision

Thanks guys. Well, I understand where you guys are coming from. But I have one word to say "Sophia". Are you guys familiar with John Diagostino's Lesalle? That car is the style I'm going for. Chopped roof, no post, with hirohata style windows. Welding the fenders on and molding everything, bumper guard tail lights instead of stocks, custom sheet metal interior treatment, full new hand built frame and modern air ride suspension, and more than likely a fuel injected Cadillac motor, possibly a northstar or a supercharged V motor from the CTS.

I appreciate original builds and know the passion guys have for them, but this car is far from one of those cars. The body is decent. Fairly straight, but has some cancer along the bottom that needs fixing as well as a little floor work. I don't have the original motor and I'm missing other original parts.

What would an original style restoration sell for? I'm looking to build an expensive car that will sell for as much as possible. I love these things slammed and chopped. I fell in love with Sophia the first time I saw her. Granted it's a 40 with a different grill. As well as Brian Nieri's Brandywine 40.

Check out this car that just sold at Barrett Jackson last year http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=5044&aid=466

Artistic Precision

Brian's 40

Artistic Precision

Artistic Precision

I HATE the stock roof line, it's so big and boxy compared to the sleek roundness of everything else, and it makes me nauseous seeing this car sitting almost a foot off the ground, looks like a damn 4x4 haha

INTMD8

There are those among us that modify these cars (myself included) but I think you will find the great majority on this forum displeased by the thought.

I'm sure the modified forum would love to hear about your build-

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/

harvey b

There was a recent thread about another 39 lasalle that was to far gone to be repaired,possibly some parts there, Will look for it at SEMA,  Harvey
Harvey Bowness

TonyZappone #2624

Perhaps if we only let club members post, I would not have to read about this kind of stuff at 7:00 in the morning.  I have spent over fifty years preserving history with God knows how many old cars.  But as many of you will say, one can do with ones car what one wants to do.  So do it. 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Artistic Precision

Thanks  INTMD8 for the link I'll check it out. I totally respect period correct originals. But this is not one of those cars. It has a decent amount of rust that needs to be repaired and not enough original parks to be re done original. This is a car for my good friend and I to showcase our skills on. Something we can both be extremely proud to have built, and be able to sell for a good amount, as well as show at all the big kustom shows. I respect all opinions but they are just that opinions. I'm not affected by them and don't take offense to them.

I appreciate feedback from purists, the more communication from the more different people the better. Thanks for your comments

Artistic Precision

Thanks harvey b I'll see if I can find it.

Dan LeBlanc

Mr. Porrino, let me say welcome to the forum and I hope that some of the comments received here do not tarnish your perception of the Cadillac and Lasalle Club.

Let me take a moment to remind everyone of one of the rules of the forum:

No disparaging remarks or personal attacks against fellow forum members, club members, club directors & officers, forum moderators, or any business will be tolerated.  Discussion threads containing such remarks will be removed, and may result in the loss of the poster's privilege to post on the CLC Message Board

What kind of message are we sending to new members of the forum?  What does this do to future enrollment?  We are faced with enough of a challenge recruiting new members in a dying hobby, so this is how we welcome new people to the fold?  I lurked about here for five years before deciding to join the Club.  If I were Mr. Porrino, I'd be running away so fast after such a cold reception, it would be like I was running from a bear chasing me.

Need I also remind everyone of what the CLC is about?

General Overview

The Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Inc. (CLC) is an international organization of over 7,000 members with 18,000+ collectible automobiles built by Cadillac. The Club provides activities and services for enthusiasts of all Cadillacs, from the single cylinder models to the exotic V-16's. Membership is open to persons anywhere in the world and ownership of a Cadillac is not required.

Who we are

The Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Inc. (CLC) was founded in Detroit in 1958. We are the largest active international organization for Cadillac enthusiasts, with almost 50 domestic regions, 18 international affiliate clubs, and eleven chapters that focus on special interests such as LaSalles, '41 Cadillacs, Allantés, Broughams, etc.

Our purpose

We were initially founded to encourage enthusiasts to maintain, preserve, and restore collectible Cadillacs and LaSalles built from 1902-1942. Now the CLC recognizes all vehicles built by Cadillac. We promote the development, collection, publication and exchange of helpful information pertaining to our cars. We also promote social fellowship for club members.

So, with that said, the club will recognize his car.  While it may not qualify for class judging, it is definitely a car that can be exhibited at any local CLC event or Grand National.  Wake up and smell the roses people!  Cars like this will be the future.  As well, the original poster has indicated that the original drivetrain is gone and what he is going to do with the car seems quite tasteful actually and accentuating the lines of the car, rather than destroying them.  Resurrecting a car that most would crush or part out is commendable.  It may not be in original form it's better than the alternative.  But that's not the debate here.

How is a cold welcome promoting social fellowship???  I've talked to folks outside the club and there is a stigmatism associated with the club that we are a bunch of stuffed shirts who don't appreciate all Cadillacs or Lasalles because some may be in altered form.  However, the Modified Chapter (yes, a CLC Chapter) accepts the car which also means that the CLC accepts such automobiles.  So let's remove the division between preservation and modification and move toward appreciating the remaining cars that exist.

For those of you who don't like reading about cars being modified, hit the BACK button and go on to the next thread.  After all, do we read the articles in the newspaper that don't interest us and then call the newspaper no not publish articles of that nature?  I don't like sports so I don't read the sports section, but do you think the newspaper will stop publishing it because it doesn't interest me.

Same principle here guys!

Now lets get our heads out of the sand and be more welcoming to those whose opinions or intentions differ from ours.  After all, the future viability of the club depends on it.

Once again, WELCOME!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Artistic Precision

Thank you TonyZappone I would love to see some of your cars. I respect anyone who has dedicated their lives to classic American vehicles, as I am one of those people myself. I have been an artist all my life since I was a kid and my artistic skills have progressed to and airbrush, pinstriping brush, welder, hammer & dolly, a sanding block, and a spray gun. Building these cars is how I express my self. My love for art, and my love for cars, beautifully blended into a rolling work of art. I very much respect originals and wish I had one but those kind of cars I'll be able to do later in my life. While I'm young I need to take advantage of my creative energy and physical energy and ability to create art. My way of giving my art to the world. I have had vehicles I liked and wanted to keep, but I build them and I like so many. I can build more. I want to build as many unique customs as I can and give them to other people to enjoy. I plan to travel internationally building customs for people in other countries. This car will help make that dream become reality. All communication is appreciated, positive or negative. Doesn't matter. Thank You.

mario

Mr. Leblanc:
it was nice to hear you state that all people are welcome on this board because it is precisely that reason why I let my membership lapse. I'm tired of the puffy chested old men that can't stand the fact that some people see the futuristic beauty these Cadillac can have.
thank you again Mr Le Blanc, maybe when enough of these old timers start respecting other people's vehicles rather than disparaging them I'll renew my membership. Until then, I'll just sit on the sideline.
Mario Caimotto.

Jeff Wilk

I guess I still cant help myself so here I go.... :-\

No place in the posts below do I see anybody telling the original poster to go away and that they are not welcome. No place do I see words stating that they have no place posting here. What I do see is the purest form of what an OPEN FORUM is about.....the freedom to express ones OPINION whether everyone else agrees with it or not is NOT a requirement.

I happen to LOVE original classics and enjoy the artistry and courage of the customs as well. But BOTH views are valid and the suggestion to squash either opinion is simply wrong. While I personally applaud the ARTISTIC posters talent and drive and motivation and goals, I even more wish more people would copy his attitude toward the posters who have a different goal or opinion about what to do with this car. Read his posts.....he is fine with the opposing views!

Sorry, but I am disturbed by the chastising that the other forum members received here from our own. I would draw the line if the remarks were derogatory, nasty, destructive or the like, but I don't see that here. All I see is open feedback and discussion on a forum. Actually, its no different than what I hear at car shows, our own Grand Nationals, and yes even in art galleries and the best Art Museums.

So come on,  keep it civil, express all views, respect all views, silence only the nasty ones, help each other out with this great hobby regardless of which image any one of us would prefer to see on or under that canvas we have in our garage.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Paul Tesone

AP -Since selling this finished car for the highest profit seems to be your ultimate goal , I'm sure you must have a feel for which costs more to restore : (1) a high end custom restoration , or (2) a high end restoration to as near original as possible . Also , which market will have the greater number of interesred , potential buyers ? I don't know the answer to these questions . Perhaps you can share your experiences . Personally , I hope it turns out to be the restoration to original ; but whatever you decide , good luck and look to the Forum experts ( of which I am not one ) for help . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

76eldo

I think there is room for customs and original cars in this hobby. The focus of the CLC is to preserve original cars and keep them authentic, but that's our focus and agenda, not everyone's.

In the recent post with the really rough car the discussion and guidance for that person was pretty much the car is to rough, the project too difficult, and the poster should run away from that car.  Presumably to leave it to be scrapped.

The most cherished of the Classic cars of the CCCA are custom bodied creations by Dietrich, Brunn, Waterhouse, Derham, Fleetwood, Darren, and others.  If you follow some thinking, these cars should be worthless because the are nowhere like the way they left the factory.

I've got some Hess and Eisenhardt convertibles that I consider to be modern cars built in the spirit of the coach built era.

The car this poster bought is an unrestored car needing a lot of work by the sound of it and he sees it as a blank canvas and wants to restyle the body and modernize the drivetrain and electronics and create a high end custom out of it.

In the end, it's just another car.  I say it's better for this guy to use it to create a high end custom that let it sit for another 20-30-50 years unrestored because its one of those cars that cost more to restore than what it is worth.

I understand the dismay of people here that only like their cars to be factory correct and completely authentic but this guy isn't talking about just ripping out the engine and throwing in a small block Chevy and a set of Cragers and a bunch of crap from Pep Boys.  Some of these customs are absolutely mind blowing and people are paying huge sums of money to build them and some of the shops turning them out are state of the art facilities.

Although the club has made room for modified and custom cars at CLC events, they are pretty much shunned and made to feel unwelcome at events I have been to but that's because the main focus of the club is preservation and restoration of original cars.

The street rod and custom guys have always been on the car scene.  I say we can co-exist.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)