News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

UHaul car trailers...anyone had any experience with them?

Started by 49caddyman, May 21, 2014, 11:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txturbo

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on May 21, 2014, 02:58:58 PM
Yes, and if you read the fine print of the contract, if you are hauling any other vehichle other than what's described in the contract and an accident occurs, you are responsible for the cost of the trailer and the lost rental income until the unit is replaced even if you take their insurance.  If you read the fine print of your automobile policy, your insurance does not cover you for rented trailers.
i have insurance that covers my car no matter how it's transported. If there is an accident I'm not worried about the cost of the trailer.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

TJ Hopland

U haul can be pretty picky and a pain to deal with.   I just helped a friend move a car because they would not rent to him to tow with his 1 ton van.   No good reason given, just computer says no.   They had it hitched up and ready to go then came out at the last minute and said cant do it.   I don't think that trailer had fold down fenders.  Not sure which size it was , it was the only one on the lot and looked to be older and pretty beat up.   They also did not want to give him back his reservation fee.   We had to get really angry with them to get that back.  I pointed out that the tow vehicle was listed correctly on the reservation so they had plenty of time to tell us that was not an approved combo.   Oddly they never asked what sort of car we intended to haul.    I try my best to avoid Uhaul especially the larger (possibly corporate run stores?).  If I do have to deal with them I look for some hole in the wall sort of 'gas station' place.   Those guys seem to me much easier to deal with.   

I used to think a 1/2 truck could tow just about anything and often did tow some pretty heavy things with them.   I then got a heavy 1 ton dually.   Now I am uncomfortable with my 3/4 ton if I got more than about 3000lbs.   Sold the 1 ton because maintenance was kinda high for how often I used it and then in my state insurance was insanely high.   The 3/4's actually do a decent job but the dually was so much more stable and overbuilt.  Even though the current 1/2 tons have a very high tow rating they just don't have any safety margin and its very hard on them if you do it very often.   You look at the difference in the transmission, brakes, rear axle, and such between a 1/2 and 3/4 you will see and feel the difference. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

I had to rent this U-Haul trailer to tow my '49 Club Coupe some 300+ miles home
after the tranny went out. NO PROBLEMS , TOWED EASILY at 65-70 MPH

Mike Lynch
MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

TJ Hopland

No one gave you any crap for having that much hanging over the back of the trailer?    I have been called on half that much overhang.   Maybe they were just being picky because they could not find anything else wrong with my setup?    I looked it up one time and most states you only get a foot or two, over that it has to be specially flagged and lit and over something not much further you have to have special permits and a oversize load sign in several states.   

gary griffin

I have found that  a set of magnetic tail lights on the overhang eliminates the overhang issue. About $15 at Harbor freight.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

I was wondering about those magnetic lights.   I notice them on tow trucks all the time these days. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is no good towing a disabled vehicle, and people travelling behind haven't a clue what the vehicle in front is going to do.

At least with tail, indicator and brake lights replicating what the towing vehicle is doing is a safety item.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

When I had to have my S10 towed home the tow operator used those magnetic lights.  The best part of it was they were also wireless.  He just turned them on and stuck them on the hood of the S10 as it was towed with the rear wheels off the ground.  I believe the transmitter is just plugged into the electrical connection for the trailer.  So easy to use. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

I saw a setup like that on a HD tow rig.   It was one of those things you can't quite tell what it was when approaching it from the rear.  When I got closer I saw it was a 'cube van' being towed.    When I passed I saw it was what appeared to be about a 4' wide light bar.  I didn't see any wires so it must have been wireless.   It had the normal tail and turn lights at the end.  It then had the red center marker lights.   Guessing this was because it was a commercial rig and seems like I read that over about 5-6 feet in width you have to have those center lights.    I would imagine there must be a re chargeable battery pack in those things?   Likely something that plugs into the truck somewhere and can charge on the road.    Not the kind of thing the average hobbyist is going to have but pretty cool stuff.   

russ austin

Look at harbor freight for the lights. They have some of the neatest stuff.  There reputation is slowly improving. I have several Harbor freight large tools at the home garage now.  Thinking about adding a metal brake soon.
R.Austin

35-709

I was looking at the Harbor Freight magnetic trailer lights just last night --- they got poor reviews for quality and brightness.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

gary griffin

Harbor freight has two versions of magnetic lights and I suspect the ratings were for the cheapest ones. The others cost about $10 more as I recall.

I am not a big Harbor Freight guy but some tools that I will only use a few times it only makes sense to buy theirs!
Gary Griffin

TJ Hopland

I just looked up those online and they do list two different part numbers but the descriptions and prices are the same.    I could see where something like that could be handy to keep in the truck for all the times trailer lights don't work.   If you don't have time to fix em you could just stick those on.   

I suppose you could put a connector on the back of your trailer had have those stuck on say the car bumper you were hauling just to make sure you had enough light.

I would imagine if you look at some of the more popular trailer towing websites they would have similar offerings.   

Although they are not in the pictures, I DID buy and use and auxiliary lighting.
It's a harness with two large lights that have magnets on them that fastened to the underside of the rear bumper frame.
MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

TJ Hopland

Here is an example of the wireless ones.   This brand seems to be sold by a lot of places.   Looks like $100-150.

http://www.blazer-international.com/productdetail.php?itemno=C6304&cat=3 

They are LED's.  Says 4 AA batteries each side.  I'm thinking of picking up a set just to have for whatever comes up.

U17

Our 1947 7523 is on one now. We were on the Hot Rod Power Tour..Overheating was our BIG issue,brakes next biggest, right up until the transmission let loose... The mountains between Knoxville and Charleston killed several cars... Wreckers were busy all day...   W.Sanders
The red line is not a limit... It is a goal ...

gary griffin

Wow, with an overhang like that I wish you good luck in getting to your destination.  You must have great confidence in the front anchorage.

I have came home from auto tours and shows on trailers and on flatbed wreckers a few times myself. It sure ruins the event especially if it happens on the way instead of on the way home.
Gary Griffin

The Tassie Devil(le)

Probably too late now, but I would have obtained a piece of lumber 8" x 2" x 6', or a couple of planks, and put that under each tyre, with just a bit poking out the end, to protect the tread, plus even the load.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon