News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Correct wheel color for 1970 Convertible?

Started by chrisntam, May 31, 2014, 11:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Put new tires on the car today.   Went with Hankook Optima.  Whitewall was kinda narrow, but not much to choose from these days.  Had two wheels that were gray and three were black.  What's up with that?  What color did they come in from the factory?  Did one of the prior owners take a trip to the salvage yard?  Looks like something happened...........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

wrefakis

Scot Minesinger

I have 3 1970 Cadillacs, two are convertibles - all with semi-gloss black wheels, not gray. 

One has 32k miles all original.  When purchased it had original radiator hoses, heater hoses, shocks, spark plugs & wires, and etc.  Only battery, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, coolant, tires, and air filter had been changed.  Given this level of originality I doubt anyone painted the wheels black over a gray paint.  The spare was never out of the trunk.  The jack has a beautiful gold cad finish on it that looks new.  The rim on the spare is black semi-gloss.

Conclusion is that black is correct, not gray.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Tom Hall 7485

Why assume that only one color is correct? 
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

wrefakis

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Tom Hall 7485

I'm sure a lot of them were gray, Bill R.  My question is whether anyone is in a position to rule out things like multiple suppliers who used different color schemes, color-coding for tire brands or weight ratings, mid-year production changes and so on.  It is human nature to assume that the factory did something uniformly for eleven months, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.  That sort of assumption is how judges and exhibitors get themselves into trouble.  A great many 1971 De Villes had black wheels.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Jon S

Cadillac wheel color was pretty consistent and distinctive.  As I've stated many times, unless you've owned the car since new and know the complete history of the car, all bets are off and speculation takes over.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

dadolac

Quote from: Jon S on August 23, 2014, 12:44:30 PM
They were gray throughout the 1950's

Hate that this is my first post but this is not true. Black only on steel wheels 56, 57.  A bunch of colors available  from 50 to 55.

wrefakis

I am totally sure 70's had grey wheels, how many did anyone look at from 70-73??? I had over 100, remember I had cars from new to 5,000 miles many times, when you buy your first one in 06,there is a limit to what you can know
started with these cars in 69

dadolac

Quote from: wrefakis on August 23, 2014, 05:01:40 PM
I am totally sure 70's had grey wheels, how many did anyone look at from 70-73??? I had over 100, remember I had cars from new to 5,000 miles many times, when you buy your first one in 06,there is a limit to what you can know
started with these cars in 69

Confused. I guess I should use my parts book for a wheel chock  ;D

wrefakis

talking about factory installed on production line, not replacement parts

Jon S

Quote from: wrefakis on August 23, 2014, 05:34:49 PM
talking about factory installed on production line, not replacement parts

I agree!  Replacement wheels even from Cadillac may have been black, but production line installed wheels and spare tire rims were gray.

I found most "replacement" parts even from Cadillac were never the same as the factory-installed parts.  Good example - Fuel pumps.  Replacements were definitely different - be they crimped as opposed to screwed together or different physically.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

dadolac

Should we dismiss the 1970 Cadillac data book as well ? It says black. Still confused  ;D

dadolac

How about the owners manual? Clear shot of the wheel on left. Looks black to me.

Jon S

Yes, it does look black in the Owner's Manual.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

My 32k miles Cadillac SDV has a black rim for the spare (not original dual white side wall tire though), and I doubt it was painted black by others subsequent to leaving the factory.  Since the parts book reads black or gray, I doubt points would be deducted ever, so it really is not too serious.

chrisntam

Quote from: dadolac on August 23, 2014, 06:21:48 PM
How about the owners manual? Clear shot of the wheel on left. Looks black to me.

Yes, but that could be a "file" photo.  It sounds like either is correct, but regarding my original post and the subsequent answers, I would say it's safe to assume a production car wouldn't have wheels both gray and black in color?  But then again, my car might  have been produced right when the factory made the change in color, making my car 1 of 1!!   ;D

I always get a kick and roll my eyes when people with collector cars (like 1967 corvettes) say their car is 1 of 30 with this exterior color and that group of options.  Yeah, but they made TWENTY THREE THOUSAND '67 corvettes.  I say, meah, big deal......
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Factory made changes mid year in 1970, take for example the door panels, first part of year in closed body DeVilles they were uphlostered, and second part they were wood matching dash.  That is what my friend who worked for the Caddy dealer tells me.