News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Correct wheel color for 1970 Convertible?

Started by chrisntam, May 31, 2014, 11:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadolac

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 23, 2014, 08:15:34 PM
My 32k miles Cadillac SDV has a black rim for the spare (not original dual white side wall tire though), and I doubt it was painted black by others subsequent to leaving the factory.  Since the parts book reads black or gray, I doubt points would be deducted ever, so it really is not too serious.

The parts book shows black only for 1970. Please read it again .

cadillacmike68

My 1970 Fleetwood Brougham and my brother's 1970 Fleetwood 75 Sedan both had grey wheels. My car was built Dec 1969 and my brothers June 1970.

I can't remember the wheels colors on the 69 DeVille convertible, but my 1968s were all grey, and bent so I got replacement wheels which are now Cadillac Dark Blue.

I'd say gray, but won't rule out some black ones were possible. They would have to have the extra long rim flange to hold the hubcaps though. If the they have the shorter flanges, (hub cap still fits) they are definitely not the original wheels.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dadolac

Quote from: chrisntam on August 23, 2014, 09:46:32 PM
Yes, but that could be a "file" photo.  It sounds like either is correct, but regarding my original post and the subsequent answers, I would say it's safe to assume a production car wouldn't have wheels both gray and black in color?  But then again, my car might  have been produced right when the factory made the change in color, making my car 1 of 1!!   ;D

I always get a kick and roll my eyes when people with collector cars (like 1967 corvettes) say their car is 1 of 30 with this exterior color and that group of options.  Yeah, but they made TWENTY THREE THOUSAND '67 corvettes.  I say, meah, big deal......

Not a file photo. The tire shown in that picture is a dual stripe whitewall which was new for the 1970 model year.

Still not a single piece of Cadillac paperwork that says the wheels were grey. Can anyone prove grey wheels were used? Cadillac says black only, before, during and after production.   

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 23, 2014, 10:13:29 PM
Factory made changes mid year in 1970, take for example the door panels, first part of year in closed body DeVilles they were uphlostered, and second part they were wood matching dash.  That is what my friend who worked for the Caddy dealer tells me.

Leather seats got the wood grain look door panels, this was the norm from the 60s.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dadolac

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 23, 2014, 10:13:29 PM
Factory made changes mid year in 1970, take for example the door panels, first part of year in closed body DeVilles they were uphlostered, and second part they were wood matching dash.  That is what my friend who worked for the Caddy dealer tells me.

This was not a mid year change. From day one, Devilles got the tamo wood. Calais cars did not.

chrisntam

Quote from: dadolac on August 23, 2014, 10:36:11 PM
This was not a mid year change. From day one, Devilles got the tamo wood. Calis cars did not.

I thought the tamo wood came with the leather seats.  Upholstered seats got the polished aluminum trim (at least on the dash).  Or are we talking door panels only?

This is kind of like debating how far away the moon is........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

dadolac

Correct. I got Devilles on my mind which were leather only. The coupe and sedan deville had tamo when equipped with leather. Otherwise it was matching cloth on cloth coupes(door panels). The aluminum trim on the doors was Calais series only.

cadillacmike68

This stuff wasn't even real wood in 69-70, correct?  I don't remember the "wood" on my Fleetwood's doors looking real back when i had it.

The brochure says" the rich look of oriental tamo wood on the doors and instrument panel".

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

The 1970 Cadillac wood is not real, but it is very high quality durable simulation, I think 1968 was the last year of real wood used in Cadillacs.  The 1969 wood grain is different than 1970, but especially realistic too.

My 1970 Cadillac SDV had the cloth with leather bolsters upholstery and the metal dash trim on passenger side with no wood on doors.  My friend who worked at Cadillac dealer says this is an early production issue, and later in the year it was wood, but the explanation of leather interior included the wood makes more sense - thanks.

If wrefakis was around in 1969 buying and driving these cars new, then I guess will go along with gray.  Still never ever seen a gray rim even on the an original dual striped bias ply original unused spare in trunk.

I started driving in 1976 and remember how nice these cars drove used, but never noticed the rims.  That is why when anyone ever accepts a poor running or driving older classic car as that is how it was when new, I always disagree.  Then think would my grandmother who owned and drove new Cadillacs the last 30 years of her life accepted this?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jon S

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 24, 2014, 10:37:27 AM

I started driving in 1976 and remember how nice these cars drove used, but never noticed the rims.  That is why when anyone ever accepts a poor running or driving older classic car as that is how it was when new, I always disagree.  Then think would my grandmother who owned and drove new Cadillacs the last 30 years of her life accepted this?

Scot -

You are completely correct!  When the older classic cars were new they drove beautifully and were realitively trouble-free.  Well maintained classics still drive that way.  I know my 1958 still drives and handles as well as the day my dad bought it in 1958 and with the addition of radial tires, it handles even better.  These cars were designed to start easily, shift smoothly and stop well for the road conditions that existed when they were produced.  The only negative affecting their functionality is the advent of ethanol gasoline which by the way was around since the 1920's, but didn't become mandatory in certain parts of the country until recently.  Even with ethanol, there are ways to raise the gasoline boiling point and keep these cars running well on the hottest of days.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

wrefakis

Guys,do not mean to be a know it all,BUT
1- parts book notes 69-74 all exc 75,cc only black, no grey at all
2-manual NO TIRE WITH SHOWN TREAD EVER WENT ON A CAR FROM THE FACTORY
3- the alternated the wheel color
67- black
68-grey
69-black
70-grey
here are photos of correct ORIGINAL TIRES AND RIMS,the cars were 67 coupe 6500 miles,68 sedan 4100 miles 69 sedan 32k miles 70 coupe 20k miles
if you still have questions let me know

forgot check out the 70 brougham photo taken in 70 with DEALER added items,OPTIONS?? i think not

wrefakis

wrefakis

here they are

wrefakis

on the wood leather = wood
cloth= no wood period
again i have owned early sept 69 prod cars to the last dvc built on the last day of production
this is how it was
70 used a one year only tire,very ,very few july 69 prod 69's got them tire pressure label will show L78 instead of 900-15
67-69 were 900-15 2 stripe various brands,tire shown in manual photo is rendering,look close and the look at originals

cadillacmike68

W. I'm trying to parse your writing into English.

Cadillac alternated the wheel colors, black and grey from 67-70 with the odd years black and the even years grey.

The illustrations in the manual of the spare are renditions, not actual photos  of actual spare tire  & wheel

The parts book, though it says black for 1969-74 is wrong.

Is the above a correct summation.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

wrefakis

67-black
68-grey
69-black
70-grey oem factory installed on car

parts book lists universal replacements black only

mike , i took the time to compile this stuff,you make snide remarks,if you really had trouble reading my post, you have bigger problems than the color of your rims

Scot Minesinger

wrefakis,

Worked on a low mileage 68 Cadillac today, that was knocking under load:

Found two vacuum leaks, which when cured greatly helped reduce knocking, but still had to retard it to 4.5' (instead of 5') to get it to stop completely.  The owner wanted this and I did not see a big deal with it.

And the rim on the spare in the trunk was gray.

You were right.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: wrefakis on August 24, 2014, 08:13:26 PM
67-black
68-grey
69-black
70-grey oem factory installed on car

parts book lists universal replacements black only

mike , i took the time to compile this stuff,you make snide remarks,if you really had trouble reading my post, you have bigger problems than the color of your rims

I already wrote that my wheels are all replacements, the originals being bent. And that they are now dark blue, because that's the color I wanted them to be. They have the wheel covers on all the time anyway. The black metal cover that goes over the spare in the trunk - that's dark blue as well.

I'm actually looking (not very hard) for original wheels, because they have a longer flange to better hold the Cadillac wheel cover.

I really don't care.

I appreciate your knowledge, but I also find it amusing trying to read your non-punctuated writing. 

Don't make me get the grammar police out; they would take a year just to fix this thread and the 59 'ritz thread.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

wrefakis, mike,

Enjoy your posts, appreciate both of your experience/knowledge, understand everything, and hope to continue reading them.

Keeping it about the cars is the best way.  Hope to meet you both at GN 2015 in WI.

Today was a good Cadillac day for me:

1.  Replaced windshield motor on my 1970.
2.  Started repairs on a 1974 Cadillac climate control
3.  Repaired a 1968 Cadillac knocking issue
4.  Replaced the regulator on my compressor (not Cadillac, but a necessary shop tool)
5.  Drove the red Caddy out to dinner tonight.

My 14 year old daughter riding with me on the way home asked what happens if you floor this red Cadillac?  It was fun showing her.

cadillacmike68

Scot, were the 1974 already using VIR in the AC system? Those are a pain if they go bad. the older POA is easier to service.

Is it your car? Perhaps you or the owner might consider converting it to R134a.  I was extremely skeptical of such a conversion, having read that R134 will not cool as efficiently as R12, unless a larger condenser is used, and there's no room for a larger condenser in our cars, but after the R12 leaked out for a 3rd time, and the shop swore that it would cool just as well, I decided to let them convert it.

It cools great. I guess our cars with their gigantic condensers have no problem with R134.  I did Not have to change the condenser, compressor or evaporator core. The receiver / dryer is different, and the R314a POA looks a little different, but not by much. It did require a thorough flushing, but that didn't raise any issues.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike