News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

A/C Charging Question

Started by CadillacFlashback, July 19, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
You are correct. The Blue and Red parts are (supposed to be) connected by the three rivets. With the engine off, the key on and the control lever set at "auto" see what happens when you turn the outer (Blue) part.  This is the component that is directly connected to the compressor shaft.  The Red part is the clutch disc and if this has truly separated it should be held firmly in place by the magnetic force of the clutch coil.  You can find the replacement clutch at the site below.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=84220&cc=1320220
Even though this is listed for an earlier car it is what you need.  That is, if "the Blue part and the red part" are truly separated.\
Any problems finding the part or the tool (try this http://www.tooltopia.com/ac-tools-tools-and-accessories-ac-clutch-service-tools.aspx) send me a PM and I can give you some additional directions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

CadillacFlashback

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on July 22, 2014, 09:05:47 PM
Scott,
You are correct. The Blue and Red parts are (supposed to be) connected by the three rivets. With the engine off, the key on and the control lever set at "auto" see what happens when you turn the outer (Blue) part.  This is the component that is directly connected to the compressor shaft.  The Red part is the clutch disc and if this has truly separated it should be held firmly in place by the magnetic force of the clutch coil.  You can find the replacement clutch at the site below.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=84220&cc=1320220
Even though this is listed for an earlier car it is what you need.  That is, if "the Blue part and the red part" are truly separated.\
Any problems finding the part or the tool (try this http://www.tooltopia.com/ac-tools-tools-and-accessories-ac-clutch-service-tools.aspx) send me a PM and I can give you some additional directions.
Greg Surfas

OK...key on, engine off, AC on, I cannot turn clutch.  Start engine and the two parts are no longer attached. 

This is getting comical.

Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

chrisntam

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 22, 2014, 08:57:14 PM
Chris,

Nice looking engine bay.  looks like you have not started it up yet at the time of the picture.  My Hirsch blue paint burned off the heads at exhaust connections in about ten minutes after I started it.  Did yours hold up?, and if so how did you make it happen?

Thanks,

Scot

Thanks Scot, it does look pretty, the chrome valve covers are growing on me.  I used an MTS shaft rocker system, thus had to switch to them.  The paint is holding up pretty well.  I have about 100 miles on the engine so far (+ 30 minute cam break in).  I got the exhaust manifolds "Jet Hot" coated, don't know if that's making a difference, don't think it would, but you never know.  Marty built the motor for me, maybe he used extra on the heads????  I was worried it was running lean because some is starting to burn off, though not completely evenly, like I thought it would.

Tiger - if your system is charged up, I would try replacing the clutch first.  If that doesn't fix it, you're not out too much money.  Breaking the seal on the a/c system runs the price up.  You never know, I say go for it!  Changing the clutch out is easy, but you do have to have the right tool.  I bet there's a you tube video on how its done. 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TJ Hopland

So does anyone know why these clutches the disc is not riveted directly to the hub?  Its seems that in almost every case there are those flat strut spoke sort of things.   In most of the GM ones including the A6 they are not real obvious but in some they are clearly visible.  Some cases it looks like there could be some sort of shock mount.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Nothing good on TV tonight so spending some time on the internet.   Looks like I have not really looked at these things that close and pondered how they work.   It appears those strut things I was wondering about are what allows that disc to move into contact with the pulley.   Thinking about it now that should have been obvious.   

Found this online that explains it.
http://www.ogura-clutch.com/products/mobile/whytheywork/principles-of-operation.html

TJ Hopland

Picture on the troubleshooting section of the site in the above link. 

Slightly different design but I bet that is what has happened in his case.

Scott (F),
It is not comical, you have a bad clutch disc. Easily replaced.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

CadillacFlashback

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on July 22, 2014, 11:57:37 PM
Scott (F),
It is not comical, you have a bad clutch disc. Easily replaced.
Greg Surfas

So I guess the question of the day is...did the clutch likely fail because the compressor is shot?  I'm not the most experienced car guy in the world, but I've never seen one of these fail, seems to me like it's likely an indication of a larger problem.  Agree? 
Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

chrisntam

Nah, I'd say no.  The clutch is sold as a replacement part so the manufacturers know they fail.  The compressor's not frozen because you can rotate it (right?) by grabbing the front of the clutch and you can spin it (the compressor).  Is your system charged with refrigerant?

It appears that based on your pictures, your description and the experience here, the clutch is bad.  Obviously, we're not there diagnosing the problem (and can't tell if the innards of the compressor are bad), but it appears to be broken.  You can spend $20 for the tool (or get a free loaner from a local parts store), $55 for a clutch + your labor to remove/install.  So for around $60 to $100 you can try it.  Or you can take it to a mechanic to evaluate it, they'd prolly charge $50 to look at it (they may provide a free estimate).  Or you can put a remanufactured compressor on it and get into the system for prolly no less than $500.

So whadda ya gonna do?    It's time to poop, or get off the pot, meaning decide, move forward and get 'er done. 

Iffin it were me, I'd gamble on choice A or B.

Anyone around Memphis that can help?  I'm in Dallas.........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scott (F),
These parts are3 getting old, and things intended to last 10, 20, 30 years are in their 5th and 6th decade of operation.  As Chris said, the choice is yours, OR you can wait until November when the weather cdools off.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille