News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Bringing a 53 Sedan Back From the Dead

Started by Dan LeBlanc, November 07, 2014, 09:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Ok, so Moby Dick has surfaced again.

A car that was first dangled under my nose in 2005 has surfaced again.  It's a 1953 Series 62 Sedan.  The car needs every square inch gone over, but is reasonably priced for a project.  The intent here is not to rush to get it on the road as I already have the 61 Fleetwood to satisfy my urges with, but rather, something that if I have a few extra hours here and an extra few $ there, just to have something to do.  The goal is a long term hobby with a distant outcome to someday drive the car.

I'm going to put this out there - I do my own body, paint, and mechanical, so labour is not a factor here.  Money is not really a factor here.  Not saying money is no object, as we all have to be reasonable in our expenditures.  It's a car that's going to be done well, but not a Concours quality car.

So, I'm looking for the experience of other 49-53 owners of what were some of the challenges encountered when doing your project.  Parts availability.  Ease of working on the car.  What the driving experience is like. 

Pretty much any helpful tidbit without delving into a heated discussion of expense versus return. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

53 engines and running gear are very good.  Cad went 12v in 53, a real plus.  If the car has power windows, that would be a negative (HydroElectric).  Some 53s have the Buick transmission due to a fire at the Hydromatic factory -- that is a negative to me and many others.  Styling is rather aggressive, perhaps the toothiest of all Cads from 49 up.  Lots of chrome and stainless, so if the chrome needs to be done, much $ will be required.  Some one-year items (like rear bumpers, front bumpers, hubcaps, etc).  Carburetor a little quirky (by 54 and 55 they had refined the 4-bbl carb some more).  Pretty dash paint treatment can be hard to replicate.  Last year for the shorter wheelbase (126 vs 129 for S62, 129 vs 133 for S60, I think).

The 53 331 engine is a very, very good engine with few problems.  Same for the Hydromatic.  Engine has plenty of power and trans is trouble-free and fairly smooth (but 2-3 shift is clunkier than in the 1960s cars).  Power steering was new in 52, but was not troublesome.  All other drivetrain items are very good as well.  Last year for dangerous cloth-covered wiring, I think (another negative).  Wiring harnesses are expensive and difficult to replace (but folks at Rhode Island Wiring should be able to make you a new harness with plastic covering covered by cloth for safety and original appearance).  By 54 Cad was using plastic coated wire, which holds up very well over the decades.

Solid B-pillar will take shoulder belt mounting point, if you so desire.

50-55 Sedans are wonderful cars to own, work on, and drive.  They are relatively easy to work on and make excellent "drivers".  Put a fatter sway bar on it -- you'll be glad you did.

Overall, I would have no reservations about a 53 sedan, other than if it has Hydro-Electric windows and seat (last year for that) or the DynaFlow transmission. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks for the insight Art.  I knew you'd have some good advice.

Luckily for me, the car is a pretty spartan sedan.  Manual windows, dog dish hub caps with beauty rings, Autronic eye, radio, and heater.  Nothing else.
Dan LeBlanc

Caddy Wizard

Well, check to see if it has the Buick trans.  If it does, even the crankshaft is different.  You can crawl under the car and look for the transmission name stamped into the bottom pan of the transmission (Hydramatic or Dynaflow).  Or you can look at the shift pattern on the gear indicator on the steering column, as the two transmissions have different gear selection patterns (but I forget the pattern for the Dynaflow).  Also, the Dynaflow was introduced well into the model year, so you should be able to tell by the engine number (below a certain engine/chassis number the transmissions were Hydramatics and above a certain serial number they were Dynaflows).

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

C.R. Patton II

Hello Dan

Great to read that you are interested in acquiring another Cadillac.  Art has done a great job sharing his experience and knowledge with this era and model. 

Here is some additional numbers to assist with your decision.

1953 Cadillac 6219 Sedan
Manufactured=47,640
2015 CLC Directory=20
Current book maximum=25k

All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Dan LeBlanc

I believe another member here has a Dynaflow equipped car and has had relatively reliable service from it. 

It's been quite some time since I've seen the car but I seem to recall it being a Hydramatic.  I've got a great photographic memory but it's extremely low on film.  I don't think the Dynaflow is enough of a deterrent to me to ward me off of the car. 

Thanks, CR.  It's not the most rare 1953 on the planet, but there is an interesting back story behind it that I'll tell shortly.
Dan LeBlanc

kav

Welcome to the 53 sedan , poverty pack owners club Dan . I love my non power windows , simplicity , so much less to go wrong or fix . Parts availability I haven't found any problem yet . But I may be about to. Anyone got a spare 53 flywheel with all it's teeth ? Or know where to get a vacuum advance for a 53 distributor . I've done only mechanical repairs so far and have gotten all my parts from Rockauto or USA parts supply or ebay  .I can order parts and they arrive on my doorstep in Australia in 3 days . A big thanks to Art on the hydramatic info , I think you just saved me close to a thousand bucks . I was going to pull down my hydramatic to try and fix the clunky shift from 2nd to 3rd , I don't think I will bother now . Cheers guys and thanks . Post up some pictures Dan , I'll show you mine if you show me yours .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Quentin Hall

Easiest way to tell a Dynaflow is to look for a P for park on the column. Only Dynaflows have park. Fire was on Aug 12 , the day my azure Eldo was built its serial number is 80000 ish so cars around this vin are the changeover. Fleetwood and Eldos got the remaining Hyxramatics everything else got Dynaflows. Hydramatic utilized reverse as the holding . I've not had experience with aDynaflow . Paul Allen has a coupe thus equipped and is happy with its smoothness.
       I concur with all that Art has said. I probably would think about the long term value in doing a sedan. The short deck styling, unless its a Fleetwood make them look quite pregnant. . .especially when parked beside a more elegant and lower coupe or conv. Other thing I would consider is return on your investment. It will soak up the same money as a coupe or conv. Sure a lesser purchase cost initially, but perhaps a greater cost to be felt when the time comes to sell.
        If it us a beautiful model just needing love and affection that would work. But if she wants to move in and have a breakdown and fail apart , spend all your money and take over your life . . . ???. . .ask me, I know.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Caddy Wizard

I love the sedans and Fleetwoods of this 50-56 era.  Here are some of mine over the years (50 sedan, 54 sedan, 55 FW, 56 FW, 55 sedan)...
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

Art,

I do sedans all the time.  I do my own mechanical, paint and body, wiring, rubber, etc.  Everything except transmissions and upholstery.  So I keep the out of pocket costs as low as possible.  Even at that, I have to be very careful about the particular sedan to redo to avoid losing my shirt on a car.  Here is an example of one that I thought I was going to do and had to give up on it to avoid throwing good money after bad (a 54 FW).  I ended up parting it out and then sold the shell off to a guy who had a rusty example.

As for knee action shocks, that is why I prefer 1950 and up sedans...
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

I even spray my own cars at home.  Wife doesn't really like it, but I manage to avoid even a faint whiff of paint smell in the house while I am doing it.  Now the garage, that is different story.

Here are pics of a home paint job in progress and how it came out (on a 54 S62 Coupe)...
Art Gardner

Caddy Wizard

I draw the line at storing very pretty, nice, clean parts in the house (usually the dining room).  I don't paint parts in the house and never use a kitchen appliance for processing auto parts.  Instead, I have the largest toaster oven one can buy set up in the garage for curing paint, curing powder coat, etc.

Don't ever put auto parts in your kitchen oven, for the sake of your marriage and your health!
Art Gardner

Walter Youshock

I've boiled carburetors on the stove, baked parts in the oven then cleaned it and even washed wire wheelcovers in the dishwasher.   

Gotta do what you gotta do.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

I ended up taking the plunge and bought the car.  For $2300 including storage until spring, the risk is pretty minimal.  Some of the parts coming with it will enable me to cash out if it proves to be an unworthy project.  Like I said earlier, I'm not in it for a potential return and that the potential for being upside down is tremendous. 

Today has been a long and tiring day.  Pictures and the story behind the car tomorrow. 

Dan LeBlanc

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Dan,

Good luck with your new 53! I agree with all of the above except the Dynaflow and power window comments, but I'm biased because my car has both. On restoration costs, you do your own painting so no problem there, but the chrome! I had to pay around $3800.00 just for the bumpers alone. The fog/parking light housings were around $450.00 each. 
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Dan LeBlanc

This car and I go back to 2005.  At the time, I was working in a glass shop managing the commercial glass division.  My auto glass manager at the time came to me and said there's an elderly gentleman that comes in here every so often for a price on a back window on an old Cadillac.  He told me that he couldn't remember what year it was, but gave me his name and number to call him to see if he'd sell his car.  At the time, I was working on my first Cadillac, a 1962 Coupe.  I didn't really need another car, in the interest of curiousity, I figured I'd give the guy a shout.

So I called him up, and he said yes, the car was a 1953 Series 62 sedan.  "Not one of those little Cadillacs" he made sure to point out.  So I asked if he'd sell the car.  He said, yes, and that he'd take three-fifty for it.  Thought to myself, I should likely go to see the car.  We arranged a time to go see the car, and as soon as he opened the door, I was smitten.  So, he proceeds to tell me the story about how he got it.

Mr. Stordy was an insurance salesman and also owned a Kaiser-Frasier dealership in Truro, Nova Scotia.  On his honeymoon driving to Winnipeg, his old Dodge had broken down in Detroit.  While he was waiting for the burned valve to be replaced, he saw a brand new, 1953 Cadillac in a showroom.  He said, I need a Cadillac.  So, apparently, he goes down to the GM offices, and orders his own brand new, 1953 Series 62 Sedan and had it shipped to his K-F dealership in Nova Scotia.  I don't know how he did it, but he did.

I handed him my three-fifty (at the time, I was a poor newlywed, and three-fifty was a lot of money).  He counts the money and said there isn't three-fifty here.  Confused, I said to him, unless they can't count at the bank and I can't count either, there's three-fifty there.  He said, no, I'm looking for three-and-fifty.  You know, $3050.  The guy is 82 years old at the time, so trying to be polite, I said, I'm sorry sir, but there isn't $3050 worth of car here.  We agreed to disagree on the price.  His wife was quite happy to have $350 for the car and was urging him to let the young newlyweds to have the car, by the way.

Every once in awhile, he wouldn't call Bob for the back window price, he'd call me. 

One day, he called, but not for a price on the back window, but to say he sold the house where the car was parked at, and that he moved it to another property under a carport, but the city wanted him to move it under the eyesore bylaw, or else they would.  So, he asked if I'd give him $1500 for it.  I said, sure.  No problem.  My 62 was on the road, figured I'd tinker with that.  So, I show up to pick up the car, $1500 in hand, and he proceeds to tell me, someone offered him $2700 for it that morning.  I said that I can't come up that much, so he better sell it to that guy.

Every once in awhile, I'd drive by, and there the car sat. 

In 2009 for my birthday, my wife hands me a card and said here's your birthday present.  I opened the card, and out fell three pictures of the car.  I said, what, you bought it?  She said I've arranged for you to buy it for $1200.  So, I called up the owner, said you spoke with my wife about buying this car as a birthday present for me for $1200, and was wondering when we could pick it up.  He said, no, I need to have $3500 for the car. 

So, no birthday present for me that year.

Eventually the car disappeared, and I forgot about it.

Fast forward to October 2013 post-Hershey.  I'm in my hotel room in Freeport, Maine, and I see a friend on Facebook posts a pair of Cadillacs he had for sale.  A 1951 Coupe de Ville and a blue 1953 Sedan as a package deal, not willing to separate them.  So, I figured I'd send him a message and ask if he knew if this car had belonged to John Stordy (that was the original owner).  He confirmed and that yes, it was.  I figured it wasn't meant to be.  He wasn't separating the pair and I had no interest in the Coupe.

Finally, Thursday night, I see him share another ad listing the 9 Cadillacs he has for sale.  The 53 isn't part of a package anymore.  So, I Facebooked him and he sent me a bunch of pictures, and I was still hooked.  We chatted on the phone for a bit, agreed to the price, and I got the rest of the story from after the car disappeared.

In 2012, Mr. Stordy passed away at the age of 89.  A fellow insurance agent bought the car from the widow.  He then sold it to a chap near me who had intended to restore it.  Well, along come twins, and there go the restoration plans.  My friend bought it sight unseen as a parts car for the 51 Coupe.  The car shows up on his doorstep, he gets looking at the car, and said, wow, this is in better shape than the 51, way too good for a parts car.  He then finds Mr. Stordy's obituary in the paperwork for the car, and he said, that's it.  This was someone's prized possession, this needs to be restored, not cut up.

In comes me.  I bought the car.  He's keeping it in his warehouse for me until spring.  After all, we have a history. 

Mr. Stordy bought this car new, drove it into the late 1980's.  It is an unmolested car, never painted, just maintained and driven.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks Paul for the advice.  I know the chrome won't be cheap. 

I visit Art (49er) on a regular basis and he lives near Librandi's in PA.  They did beautiful work on his 49, so I'll likely be getting them to do the chrome on mine.  On winter, perhaps the headlight bezels, door handles, and small parts.  Another year a bumper, and so on and so forth.

It's early days yet, and the car isn't coming home until the spring, but if I can get it somewhat roadworthy and the body done, chrome and interior can be done on a progressive basis.
Dan LeBlanc

jdemerson

First, a huge THANK YOU to you, Dan, for posting the story of the history of this great 1953 Series 62 sedan. I can't help but feel that John Stordy would be very pleased that you have his car and that it will have another life down the road.  It is a great find for you!

This thread is an especially good and informative one so thanks to all who are contributors. My interest stems from having recently acquired a black 1952 Cadillac 6219X, which is essentially the same car except for its 6 volt electrical system and it HydroLectric windows and seat. The 6-volt system is in excellent shape with a very strong battery wrapped in an appropriate black Delco case. The HydroLectric system was completely refurbished a few years ago and the car is in flawless mechanical condition; not even a single light bulb or fuse is malfunctioning. It has no rust but cosmetically it is not perfect (a few dimples in the stainless steel, and bumpers that are nice but clouded and with a scratch or two).  The interior needs some work which I will give it next spring if all goes well. The car has every option that was available from the factory except for the Autronic eye. (Air was available only on the 75s in 1952.)

I am interested in the comments in this thread about the cost of doing interiors. The interior on mine is presentable and tastefully done, but the upholstery and carpet are definitely not authentic to the car. The rear package tray is in poor shape and I definitely plan to replace that. My questions have to do with whether and how far to do in upgrading the interior.

Does anyone have an estimate as to what it might cost to reupholster the seats and replace the carpets with materials that are authentic to that 1952 model?  (Of course this raises a question about whether one wants wool carpets or a more practical replacement that otherwise replicates the originals.)  I have Jenkins' contact information but have not called yet.  Any advice or relevant experience about costs, materials, and sources would be much appreciated.

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X Sedan
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Thanks for the interesting story Dan. It sounds like the car found the right home.

Good luck with it.

-Eric
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

What a story!  Best of luck with it
  I'm sure you'll make it into the most stellar refurbished '53 in existence.

Interesting that the Nash dealer drove a dodge and a Cadillac. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham