News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1960 4Dr, 4Window "Flat Top"

Started by JoeKarasinski, January 12, 2015, 12:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeKarasinski

Hi Everyone, I thought I would share here as we dive in this project. I bought this car over a year ago from fellow club member Brian and Bob Dowell and since then it's pretty much just sat gathering dust. At first my plan was to put the windows in it, carpet and just get it road worthy for the little bit of local use it might see and drive it around a bit a maybe sell it.  I mentioned to Gayle, my wife that the 2016 GN will be in Vegas a couple weeks ago and she told me I'd better get busy on this thing but that means over 4000 miles of driving so my original plans won't due now. Now I've got get deep into the mechanicals. I figure 55 years old at the very least bearings, seals and gaskets are a must. We'll do a compression test next week end. I'll have to find someone to look at the trans for again at least seals and filter. It runs and drives but I've not driven it other than in and out of the shop. Again I'd think new suspension bushings would make sense. So since I've got to take so much apart anyhow I'd might as well get new fuel and brake lines too and clean everything up and paint and so it has snowballed into being a full blown restoration with less than a year to complete it in. But the coolest part is that not only am I doing this with her blessings she's even helping so what more could anyone hope for.

So far there's not much progress. All of the windshield, back glass, roof trim and some of the quarter panel trim is pulled. I'll need to find 1 t-bolt for the left lower back lass molding the y's to the fin molding which I'm sure will be next to impossible to come up with.

Next weekend after the engine compression test I hope to get the hood, fenders and bumper pulled.

I noticed today that the headlights don't work, they will flash on sometimes when clicking the bright switch.

James Landi

So you're in to the "might as wells," stage and the list keeps growing.  For what it's worth, here's my unsolicited advice: having your wife partner with you is unusual and way more important than making it to the GN in that car.  Perhaps you should reorder your time line OR as you initially intended, get the car useable for local road trips and fly to the GN .  The time pressure and anxiety associated with driving the 4,000 mile trip could be the undoing of that marvelous partnership that's worth much than getting the car ready and able to make that gruelling mileage.  (this advice is not worth two cents)

Bill Young

Sounds like you are going to unscrew the left front turn indicator and slide a new Car in behind it. What overall condition is the Car in. How was it stored or cared for? would You share any photos?

JoeKarasinski

Thanks James, We're going to try to get this together in time but don't worry we won't let it become a problem. If we don't get the car done it won't be an issue either. We haven't had a real vacation in well over a decade so for us we're looking at the whole thing as an adventure. It's a big goal, not impossible and we'll have a lot of fun trying I think.

Yeah Bill, I guess it does sound like that, hopefully it won't be that bad.

Here's a picture where we're at with it. I'll post more as things move along

Gene Beaird

Considering how quickly those things became a big pile of rust and oil, that looks to be a pretty solid car!  Good luck on the restoration.  I'm into my 5th year of a restomod on our 86 SVO after we retired it from regular autocross service.  The plan was to get it fixed up for the Houston Autorama, which is during Thanksgiving Weekend every year.  Life, and our current regular autocross car, has eaten into most of our spare time.

Being married to your co-restorer has great benefits.  It helps things go by quicker, and the other is there to help calm the spirit when things don't go as planned.  And it REALLY helps with the budget.   ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

JoeKarasinski

2 weeks in and things are moving along. Last week I got the front end disassembled. Then this week the engine and trans are pulled and the engine mostly disassembled. Mean while I've had Gayle running the sand blasting cabinet.

Next up I'll get the trans over to the trans shop and the block and heads up to the machine shop, the carb to another guy, once I have the heater core out both it and the radiator will get tested by another guy. I need to find someone to check out the starter and generator.

I might have ran into a snag on getting the rotisserie I thought I could barrow so if anyone within a few hours of Detroit has one I could rent or barrow for a few months we'd really appreciate it.

Found out I don't have to do my own plating of the nuts and bolts. I've got a platter right down the street that did my dads stuff for very reasonable prices. I've still got to get them ready but I don't have to make room the operation. Plus at least a dozen fender bolts broke so I'll need to come up with new ones.

I did do a compression test to start with and 7 of the 8 were between 140 and 155 psi. one was 80. But my untrained eye doesn't see anything obvious after getting it apart so we'll wait and see what the pros say when I take it in.

JoeKarasinski

couple more pics.

James Landi

You've made some extraordinary progress.  I can't help but ask about the state of the engine.  The compression readings sound great, and if you took those readings without having had the engine running and up to temp for a long period of time, there may have been little mileage and wear on it.  Do you have any ideas regarding the mileage on the car?

James

JoeKarasinski

odometer reads 32,000. The engine was just cranking, I had the coil disconnected.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

You are making great progress!

Your methodology is excellent.  I'll have to come by to take notes.  Thank you for keeping us updated.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

James Landi

I have to wonder just what kind of engine work you'll need.  It is possible that your car was not at 132K or 232K but actually 32K, in which case, and especially given your compression readings taken with a stone cold engine (that has not run in how long?) that you'll need very little machine shop.  What would you have them do?  My sense is if you have an engine that is essentially up to specifications with few miles, what is necessary work.. such as oil seals, valve guides, seats, but what else?  James

JoeKarasinski

It may be 32 from the looks of the steering wheel and pedals which show very little wear, but we're not the 1st people to tear into this motor. I don't know when or why but on the right side of the engine the 1st 5 push rods are a different style than all the rest.

With the heads off my neighbor pointed out the leaking valve. So yeah hopefully not too much work needed, gaskets and seals and what ever the guys at the machine shop tell me. something about hardened valves or something so there won't be an issue using unleaded.

Rob Troxel

Thanks for sharing your adventure.  I love that "Flat Top" 60 Cadillac.  I even had the " Flat top hairstyle" in the early 60's to match!

JoeKarasinski

Still going, though not as fast as I'd like. I spent this past weekend mostly cleaning the shop. Trans is in the shop for service, Block and heads up at the machine shop. They called today and said the cylinders are in great shape and won't need to be bored the cam is there also and is also fine. Crank is at another shop to be polished and every thing should be done later this week.

Mean while I've cleaned up and sand blasted most every thing for the engine. I've ordered the paint and a new heat riser

I've also ordered 4 rust free doors from Arizona so that will make the body work a thousand hours shorter I'm sure.

I can see the suspension bushings a rotten from age but so far the ball joints, tie rods etc. seem nice and tight and well greased so hopefully I don't need more there.

Still need to get the starter, generator carb and fuel pump gone thru.

And its looking like I'll end up having to buy a rotisserie. I've got a 69 Chevelle that needs a frame off too so I guess I might as well quit worrying about it and spend the dough.

I've got tons of pictures but nothing that really shows any progress so next update I should have some thing to show.

James Landi

So...have you concluded on the actual (approximate) mileage on the car?  Or do you think someone had a rebuilt put in at some point?  Seemed mighty strange that you had all that compression after years of not running... your thoughts now?

JoeKarasinski

Unless some thing jumps out and bites me I think 32,000 is correct. The inside of the engine is in good shape, steering wheel and pedals show little wear the front seat although faded and stiff is not worn. It has a very old set of Firestone Champions on it. Motor mounts are original, still painted blue and the exhaust manifolds are still coated gray for the most part. And lastly it appears to be wearing its original paint.

JoeKarasinski

busy weekend on the 60 here. Basically all I have left to is the gas tank and rear bumper and I'll be ready to remove the body from the frame. I got my engine back from the machine shop, waiting on the crank still before I can start to reassemble that.

The trunk floor is a lot rustier than I had thought I'd find. I broke the dome light lens, so the hunt for that begins. Screws for the wiper motor were seized and I ended up ruining the mounts, so I don't know if that means I'll need a new motor or if I can get those isolators by them selves. Does anyone know where I can find this rubber duct that joins the heater with the blower motor?

JoeKarasinski

Been almost a month since I updated. Today I got the body mounted on the rotisserie! I still need to get it balanced properly but that shouldn't be too hard. The engine is almost built enough for paint and the trans is ready to pick up from the shop. I had to get a standard size rod and main bearings for the engine which turned out to be a discontinued size, luckily I found a set online. Also I got my doors from Arizona Vintage parts, excellent rust free parts.

gary griffin

Hi Joe,

Great car and great progress.  You have a special wife, mine only complains about her car being out in the Seattle weather while I use her garage space for restoration. As you know it takes at least 2 garage bays to restore a car.

I have 3 years in my 1942 restoration and am almost done and I am also targeting the G N in Vegas next year.   Hope to see your beautiful car there. What color will it be??

Keep the pictures coming we all love them.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

JoeKarasinski

Hi Gary,

This one will be going the original Fawn with the Olympic White roof. 42 is great year and 3 years is good time, I think it took about 4 or 5 years for the 41 we have.