News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1959 390 Engine Rebuild HELP

Started by 66/440, June 08, 2015, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66/440

Gentlemen,
I am beginning the process of removing the 390 from my '59 Series 62 for rebuilding.
I am very comfortable with the removal process, HOWEVER
I am wondering if there is any thing that I need to be particularly aware of for the rebuild process. Basically any "Gotcha's" that I should be aware of. I have been in the hobby a long time and have had dozens of engines rebuilt but this is my first Cadillac 390. I know that most of the machine shops have probably never seen one so I want to know what to tell them to watch for and what I need to check myself before reinstalling.
I plan on having hardened seats installed in the heads but beyond that it is a stock rebuild.....unless there are recommendations to the contrary.

Thank You! in advance for your knowledge and expertise and your willingness to share.

Glenn Jones
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
CLC Member 28906

Joshua

Good Evening Glenn,

My dad and I rebuilt my '59 390 last summer.  I cannot recall any "gotchas", but I can say, take A LOT of pictures of everything.  Do not let even the smallest detail go un-photographed.  I can say this because, I took precisely zero photographs of anything.  Fortunately, I happen to have a second all original never restored '59.  So I was constantly going back and forth between the cars to see where certain parts went.  One good thing I did was to label all the bolts and nuts and miscellaneous items, however just because I knew what the part was, didn't mean I knew how it went back on.

Needless to say, I will never pull another engine apart without first taking pictures.  My shop manual was worth its weight in gold, definitely a must have.  I will go back and read my journal and see if anything important pops out.  If I do find something, I will let you know.

Good Luck,
Joshua Cross
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window
1964 Volkswagen Type I

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on wanting to tackle the task yourself.

I take it that you do have the Shop Manual?

But, as you remove the transmission from the engine, make sure that you do not lose the small metal disc that sits in the end of the crankshaft, and applies pressure to the Fluid Drive.

These things usually will stay in place, and fall out at any time, and most do not realise that it has fallen out, and these do get lost.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Blade

Are you also going to do the transmission? The transmission will require a special tool (KM J 6282) at one point during the restoration and this tool is not easy to come by.

Also Joshua's advice should go to the restoration of the body, take LOTS of detailed pictures as they come very valuable during reassembly, especially if you don't have another car to refer back to.

Good luck with the restoration and let us know if you have any more questions.

russ austin

Make sure the rocker arms are put together correctly.
R.Austin

66/440

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 08, 2015, 10:39:22 PM
Congratulations on wanting to tackle the task yourself.

I take it that you do have the Shop Manual?

But, as you remove the transmission from the engine, make sure that you do not lose the small metal disc that sits in the end of the crankshaft, and applies pressure to the Fluid Drive.

These things usually will stay in place, and fall out at any time, and most do not realise that it has fallen out, and these do get lost.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce,
Thanks!
This is exactly the kind of thing I was talk about, great information.

Any thing special I should know about the valve gear? Especially the rocker arms?
CLC Member 28906

66/440

Quote from: Joshua on June 08, 2015, 09:10:02 PM
Good Evening Glenn,

My dad and I rebuilt my '59 390 last summer.  I cannot recall any "gotchas", but I can say, take A LOT of pictures of everything.  Do not let even the smallest detail go un-photographed.  I can say this because, I took precisely zero photographs of anything.  Fortunately, I happen to have a second all original never restored '59.  So I was constantly going back and forth between the cars to see where certain parts went.  One good thing I did was to label all the bolts and nuts and miscellaneous items, however just because I knew what the part was, didn't mean I knew how it went back on.

Needless to say, I will never pull another engine apart without first taking pictures.  My shop manual was worth its weight in gold, definitely a must have.  I will go back and read my journal and see if anything important pops out.  If I do find something, I will let you know.

Good Luck,
Joshua Cross

Joshua,
Great suggestions. I do have a FSM and rely on it heavily.
I probably should take more photos than I have and will do so beginning now.

Appreciate your advise.

Glenn
CLC Member 28906

66/440

Quote from: Blade on June 08, 2015, 11:03:10 PM
Are you also going to do the transmission? The transmission will require a special tool (KM J 6282) at one point during the restoration and this tool is not easy to come by.

Also Joshua's advice should go to the restoration of the body, take LOTS of detailed pictures as they come very valuable during reassembly, especially if you don't have another car to refer back to.

Good luck with the restoration and let us know if you have any more questions.

Tibor,
My transmission seems to shift and drive well. I plan on replacing gaskets and seal at this time but had not planned on a full on rebuild. I am planning on replacing the torus gasket/"O" ring. Anything I should know about this?

Glenn
CLC Member 28906

66/440

Quote from: russ austin on June 09, 2015, 07:59:22 AM
Make sure the rocker arms are put together correctly.

Russ,
Thanks for the input.
OK, there sounds like there must be something important I should be paying attention to. Care to elaborate?

Glenn
CLC Member 28906

russ austin

The lube holes have to point in a specific direction. Either up or down, don't recall off hand.  On the end of the shaft is an index mark. Has to point inwards.
R.Austin

66/440

Quote from: russ austin on June 10, 2015, 08:07:21 AM
The lube holes have to point in a specific direction. Either up or down, don't recall off hand.  On the end of the shaft is an index mark. Has to point inwards.
Excellent info! These are the kind of things that most rebuilders don't know, and will be on my list when I deliver the engine to the machine shop.
Thanks for your response
CLC Member 28906

eldo59

Mauro Bonfitto