News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

straight weight vs multi-weight oil - 331

Started by bullet bob, August 01, 2015, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

Let me start by saying I'm sorry, another oil thread. But I've done the search, and I can't find the answer. My mechanic says I need to run a straight 30W in my "53 331. I understand that's what it called for, "back in the day." But I've been running 10W30. along with a bottle of DZZT, or whatever it's called. Has the optional oil filter. Do I go back to a straight 30W or is the 10W30 OK? Thanks all. BB
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Philippe M. Ruel

These engines needed 20W in the summer (30W under hot climates) and 10W in the winter, involving draining oil twice a year.

Fortunately a few years later someone invented multi-weight oil that all 331s could use, and they lived happily ever after.
1952 60 Special in France.

TJ Hopland

My 2 cents knowing nothing specifically about the 331.   As you said at one point multi viscosity oils didn't exist and when they first came out there were two issues.   One issue was that the polymer? used to make the bits bind together when warm broke down fairly quickly which then essentially left you with the lower number which was usually not good for a hot hard working engine.  The other issue was that the lubrication properties of that polymer were not the best plus took up space that could be used for the real lubricant.  I believe that was also a down side to detergent oils, the detergents were not especially good lubricants and took up space.   A person (or engineer) had to weigh the pros and cons and make some tradeoffs to come up with what would work the best under most conditions and over time.  With the fairly current oils I don't think any of those are significant issues anymore so you might as well get the benefits of better flow on cold starts.   If you had to deal with and operate in freezing conditions I would say for sure go for the multi but since most of the cars in question here don't need to operate in those conditions it may be less of a problem so either will be fine.   

Another sign that the multis are getting better is the last small engine I bought (Briggs and Stratton) actually recommended 5w-30 full synthetic as preferred all weather oil.   They still had the full chart showing 30w and so on but as always these didn't cover the full range of possible temps for all climates.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Ask your mechanic if he is recommending a straight 30 Non Detergent oil.  Maybe he is worried about putting sludge in suspension in the oil passages.  I don't think they make multi viscosity non detergent.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bullet bob

He (mechanic) is in the process of dropping the tranny and replacing the seals, and noticed the blow-by tube had some residual oil in it. He felt that the "10" (10W30) was too thin for the engine and I should be running straight 30. I've always felt on the first start-up, your oil SHOULD be a little thinner. Hence, my question. Wanna run what's best. Again, thanks. BB

Jon S

Most mechanics today are clueless regarding the 1950's cars!  The blow by should have residual oil on it.  I've been using 10W/40 in the 1958 for over 40 years.  Straight weight oils are obsolete and have been replaced with significantly better lubricants.  Just DO NOT put synthetic oil in your engine.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

Agreed, 10W-30 or even 10W-40 is just fine.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jay Friedman

In my '49 331 motor I use 10W-30 in cold weather and 10W-40 in hot weather. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The Cadillac Technical Service bulletins for the 331 engine recognized in 1955 that
the then "new" multi-grade oils, were approved for use.  In other words, using a
"straight weight" 30 HD in summer and a 20 HD weight in winter was no longer
necessary.

Use a 10W-30 weight OR 10W-40 year around with confidence and it will work fine for
you.  Stick to well know brands, API (American Petroleum Institute) approved brands,
which cover all the major brands out there.  Avoid bargain brands as they may not
have the proper additive package, an easy way to make a cheaper product.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

bullet bob

Great information here guys. Appreciate all the replies. 10W30 it is. Thanks. BB

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Bob,

I've been using 20W 40 in my car for the past several years. I change it once a year. Oil on the stick is always nice and clean. I've been getting it from Classic Car Motor Oil. It already has plenty of zinc in it for the flat lifters. Works for me.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

35-709

A Google search --- http://classiccarmotoroil.com/index.html 
Click on "Products"

Looks like they sell it direct.

Reading further at their site, the FAQs reveal this ---
Classic Car Motor Oil is sold by the case (12 quarts). The oil can be ordered from our website, www.classiccarmotoroil.com or by phone at (317) 225-0040. Classic Car Motor Oil can only be purchased through the Indiana Region of the Classic Car Club of America.

Jon S

Save your self some money and buy 10W/30 or 10W/40 Pennzoil or Quaker State and add 1/2 bottle (8 oz) of Red Line's Engine Oil Break In Additive.  Toy will have the correct ZDDP levels and great oil!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

I run Mobil 1 15W-50 which has "enhanced" levels of ZDDP (reportedly 1300 PPM) in both my 472s.  I buy it at Walmart in 5 quart jugs which brings the price down to a reasonable (for me) level. 

Jon S

Quote from: 35-709 on August 02, 2015, 01:54:13 PM
I run Mobil 1 15W-50 which has "enhanced" levels of ZDDP (reportedly 1300 PPM) in both my 472s.  I buy it at Walmart in 5 quart jugs which brings the price down to a reasonable (for me) level.

I would never run Synthetic oil in a classic car!  You're asking for leaks!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

No leaks in mine.  Both are tight and have been on Mobil 1 since after break-in.  About 12,000 on the Caribou with an MTS engine and 22,000+ on the 472 in the '35.  Wouldn't run anything else anymore.

TJ Hopland

I have not found synthetic to leak (or burn) any worse than regular oil.  Stuff that leaks or burns synthetic still leaks and burns with regular oil.   Getting it at wally world is for sure a way to lessen the impact on the wallet if that is your issue with synthetics.   The last couple years I have been running a blend.  Price is good and I don't have to fully commit one way or another.   I also like that the blend gets you a wider range like a full synthetic does.   I'm running 5w-40 in just about everything I own.  Makes a big difference in the cool mornings and winters.

Another way to save money on oil is watch the parts store for sales.   Most of the big chains do a monthly special so you just have to wait for your brand to come around.  I was picking up the Napa brand full synthetic on sale for less than the regular price regular oil.  I think I still have a case and a half I bought for the daily driver I sold 2 years ago.  Wife's Mustang uses the same oil but with the miles she puts on that car its a several year supply.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dadscad

I agree with TJ's analogy of oil usage. I've been using Amsoil full synthetic motor oil, transmission fluid and differential gear oil in my 63 since 2002, that's about 70K miles of driving. I have not found any negative issues, only benefits.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

gary griffin

There is some confusion about multi grade oil. It is simple, they pass a test for the proper thickness at the higher temperature and the appropriate thinness at the lower temperature, according to standards.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver