News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Opinion Sought

Started by Whit, August 30, 2015, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

I have restored several cars and I always have placed Dynamat under the carpeting to provide sound deadening and a tight seal to the floor. I plan on doing that on my '60 Eldorado but I thought I would ask if that might 'offend' purist who may someday purchase the car. I have tried to keep the car as original as practical, but this seems like a positive improvement that would never show.

Any thoughts...?

Whit

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Not being an item that's normally visible, I doubt it would make much of a difference.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

Can't hurt anything and it's relatively easy to undo.  Not like paint or putting the wrong tires on the car.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

RobW

Relatively easy to undo"? Have you ever tried to get that crap off? It's nearly impossible!  If you heat it with a heat gun it turns to a gooey mess. If you try and peel it, it just breaks away. Not to mention the aluminum will tear your hands ups.
Rob Wirsing

rwchatham CLC 21892

I always use it under the carpet . It is never seen and the car is quieter and cooler with it there.  And as far as removing it forget about it, no need.
R. Waligora

Walter Youshock

Sorry, Rob, no I haven't had any experience with the product.  I figured it was just an underlay like jute.  Thank you so much for enlightening me.  I guess I'll stay away from it AND the heat gun.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Grant Owen

Dynamat YUCK who wants to lift carpet etc & see dynamat dynamat everywhere . I use a Wurth product 890 100 070 . Here in New Zealand it is the fraction of the price of Dynamat it is just black can be easily moulded with a heat gun it has just as good if not better sound deadening properties as Dynamat. You do not need to cover every square inch with sound deadening as placed correctly it will take the drum & noise away. I have attached a couple of pictures of what I do using the Wurth product.

The observations and admonitions of those with experience with this product are appreciated, however the OP's question was whether installation of the product would do harm to the value of the car.

Curious as to why it would need to be removed once installed... ???

76eldo

If it's under the carpet and it has beneficial qualities I'd use it if your car is that far apart.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

INTMD8

I can't see how it could hurt. Who will see it? Has to be better than the nasty sheets of tar it originally had. (that is if these came with the same stuff my 57 had)

Whit

Thanks to all for your input. I have used it before and I think I will use it again on this car. It indeed is not easy to undo, once it is on you can't get it off. It does make a difference on how quiet the car drives and it protects the floor from rusting from the inside out. I will check on the Wurth product, not one that I'm familiar with.

Thanks Whit

David Greenburg

Whit:

If you're doing the car to be driven, I would absolutely use modern sound/heat insulation. Everybody will have an opinion on what to use ( I think Dynamat is overpriced, but you can read for hours on this and other sites about the relative merits of the various products).  If down the road you have a prospective buyer who is put off by the use of this modern technology to make the car quieter and cooler, you can bet they will find a bunch of other "issues" as well.  Do the car for you, not for some future hypothetical buyer.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillac ken

We no longer repaint our cars in Lacquer-- even when that is what the car (insert model here)  had as an original finish.  I would not devalue a car with dynamate or a similar type product installed. 

Those that know me know my motto:  Build the car for yourself, not the next guy.

N Kahn

Good to know Grant, there's a Wurth near my work.

Caddy Wizard

I like adding modern sound and heat insulation to these cars.  It can't be seen and really makes the cars more luxurious.  I have done it a few times and was really glad I did.  I can't say that about every "upgrade" I have made over the years...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

gary griffin

I used an advanced version called "Rattle Trap" It is a little thicker and even the doors sound better (More solid) when closed.  I notice in my 1942, they used a product similar to undercoat in several places like the inside of the rear fenders.

I doubt a judge will be peeling the carpets back to see if you are authentic. I am restoring the car to drive!  Judging standards seem to allow undercoat as many dealers installed it. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

I have never heard of any judging procedure in which carpet underlayment was inspected and I'm sure few participants would even allow it if it was.

As far as CLC judging is concerned, it's a dead issue.

russ austin

A product called lizard skin is great.  It sprays on, and works great. Its in 2 of the cars I fixed up.
R.Austin

Whit

Good thoughts from all. I will check out some of the other recommendations. I have also used a product called FatMat, which is about the same as Dynamat and much less expensive.

Again...thanks to all for the input.    Whit

RobW

The problem is if/when it has to be removed as in a collision repair. We sometimes get "ricers" in the shop and this crap is everywhere! Try removing a rear body panel covered in it or a trunk floor, or quarter panel or...well you get the idea.
The sound pads are much better and more OEM looking if done right as in the example above.
Rob Wirsing