News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Lack of Classic Cadillacs on the road

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, November 28, 2015, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: FinCad on December 19, 2015, 03:14:52 PM
Hi,

I have been wondering in general when driving in USA how few classic cars in general you can see on the road especially in big modern cities and close by.

Here in Finland & Sweden for example we are seeing classic american cars on the road all the time...even the best cars are normally driven quite a lot. This is despite the fuel is 3 times more expensive. People are still widely thinking that cars are made for driving independently if the are collector cars or not. During the summer time if you sat down to the bus stop in your village or city you seen old Americans within a few minutes intervals.

That is awesome to hear!  I wish more people here in the U.S. would drive their classics like a normal thing. Not as a weekend cruiser or a once in a blue moon drive. I personally try to drive my 64 every other day. I hate letting my cars sit too long, so it's good to get the fluids moving and give the parts a work out.

You tend to see more classic Mustangs, Camaros, typical muscle cars and hot rods being driven around out here, but not really anything interesting or intriguing or even quirky for that matter.

I still remember a couple of years ago I saw this beautiful 1960 Chrysler Imperial on the freeway, it was like a sculpture cruising down the road, and seeing all the other small modern cars around it, just made it that more powerful  and cool looking. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

That is great, wish that were more the case here in and around the capital of USA.  This warm December is proving to be nice weather and I will driving one of my 1970 Cadillacs today, probably the SDV because it is 25'F now.  Last week during a short drive in my 1970 Cadillac DVC when it was sunny 60'F, I saw a 66 Barracuda, a 61 Corvette, and a 1975 Chevelle.  The Chevelle had a bunch of teenagers in it and was in primer gray, and the corvette had an older couple riding with top down (me too), and it was fun to see them.  On nice weekend days, I often see at least one classic out driving, but I have seen very few Cadillacs in like ten years of local driving 35k miles or so.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadman56

I will add my 2 cents worth.  I have a 91 Brougham.  About 5 yrs. ago I drove it to SW Colorado  on vacation.  Big mistake....  The speedometer died between Pagosa Springs & Durango, cruise control & OD died too.  The Cadillac dealer in Durango told me to not bring it to him, literally, he didn't want it on his lot anywhere.  We made it to Ouray & then over to Gunnison.  Then over to Canon City where the smog pump locked.  The Cadillac dealer there said they would look at it but I took the belt off & the noise went away.  They installed a new smog pump.  We finally got home in Wichita at 4:00 AM next morning.
My repair shop in Wichita, owned by a Cadillac service mgr. of 18 yrs., had the car for 5 weeks trying to find  the problem & parts to fix it.
The car had 190K mile on it when we left on vacation.
I only reiterate the story to tell you why young people don't want to mess with old cars today.  Cost, parts availability & people who know how to work on them.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

carguyblack

Hey Larry,
The problem is that your 1991 car was too new!! The good old cars from the 50's would never have had those tragedies.......Just kidding!  I'm sure what you say holds true for many today, not just the younger folks.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

cadman56

I guess you are right Chuck. 
Wait till I get the 68 CVT on the road. 
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)