News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

57 Batwing Dual Quad Air Cleaner

Started by 59-in-pieces, May 10, 2016, 11:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

I know, but it wasn't until I bought the car a year ago or more that I took a detailed interest in how to restore it - frame off.
I have read all the search results from this form - in each of the cataories, and even Googled a bit.
I found that the 57 batwing is unique in its design, and other years are too tall and will hit the underneath of the hood when closed.
I need help in determining the neck size - how tall - are the tubes that sit on top of each carb.
So far in looking at pictures and seeing what is for sale, I've found 3/4" to 2" to 1" to 2-3/8" and one cut down to 1-3/4" (without being flanged to the carb), all from air cleaners on 57's - everyone swearing they were OEM.
Now that just can't be right - one of those should be OEM, but which one.
Can anybody help with a documented size or pics and preferably with a ruler showing the length. It would be much appreciated.
Have fun, I'm not yet,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Quentin Hall

Remember that the oilbaths are offset on the 57. Makes ID easy. Google a 57 Brougham. The air cleaner is the same apart from the Brougham having a further indent in the air cleaner to sit the even lower hood. I have a correct 57 dualquad setup nearly restored for my Biarritz (not for sale, and I can't go near it just yet to give dimensions). . . also Brougham used 4 of the big chromed wingnuts but all other 57s just used two and then two small wing nuts. Odd.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

DBDB

i have an air cleaner that came from a converted 1957 seville to one carb ages ago .I measured the neck and it is 13/4 inch high .I did get that along when i bought the car in 1993.If i am not wrong i still have the manifold also .The only problem is i am in Belgium and those parts are heavy to ship if i want to sell it .

Seville1957

Quote from: DBDB on May 11, 2016, 01:17:15 PM
i have an air cleaner that came from a converted 1957 seville to one carb ages ago .I measured the neck and it is 13/4 inch high .I did get that along when i bought the car in 1993.If i am not wrong i still have the manifold also .The only problem is i am in Belgium and those parts are heavy to ship if i want to sell it .

Daniel,

if you are considering just selling the batwing air cleaner let me know, I made the dumb decision to sell mine when I bought my 57 Seville. Wasn't sure I was going to keep the motor, now that I decided to go the purist route, I'm screwed!

vegas49er

Hi, Yes the air cleaners are taller for the dual quads prior to 1957. Don't just saw off the flange that goes on the carbs. A friend has previously drilled out the spot welds on the earlier units and thus lowered the assembly to fit on a 1957. He then spot welded it to the correct height for a 1957. I didn't ask about excess having to then be removed at the top near the welds. The unit will then work on a 1957 although you won't have the offset canisters. I have the correct unit on my 1957 and can send a few shots tomorrow if needed. P.M. me with an e-mail if you want and I can e-mail you from my end. F. Johnson. Member 25203.

cadelec

here is an article wriiten about pontiac dual quad air cleaners but it references other GM makes as well

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1EarlyV8Pontiacs/56DualQuad/BatwingAircleanerGuide.pdf
CLC# 25054
Trevor Pordage
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1958 Eldorado Brougham #656
1950 Series 62 Sedan

Paul Tesone

Thank you Trevor for posting that most informative article . Although I am no longer in need of a batwing aircleaner ,  this information will help those who are new to the hunt from making an expensive mistake .  Paul Tesone CLC #6876

59-in-pieces

Trevor,
Along with Paul, thanks.
I had seen the report and it is very comprehensive, with the exception of the actual length of the tubes - long and short lengths in inches is what I am focusing in on.
You would think that there are only 2 lengths - long and short.
Ah but not so.
I have been contacted directly by a number of folks offering up pics and lengths - and it is almost true that no 2 lengths matched.
When I settle down on a length, I will re-post.
In the mean time, thanks to all who contributed to my quest.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Paul Tesone

Steven - I know I sent you these pictures , but I thought I would post them here in case someone else was interested  . . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876