News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Fuel recommendations for 1955 Eldorado 331 CI.

Started by Toddunger, February 26, 2017, 01:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddunger

Greetings again.
I'm hoping to visit Sedona in a few months and take Dads Eldorado for a spin.  I'm wondering what fuel, (and additives, if necessary) I should use.  I've researched all over and it's hard to choose the best option from the wide variety of comments I have discovered.  Sadly, I don't have the service history on this car, so I don't know if the valve train has been updated for unleaded fuel.

Any ideas?
1955 Eldorado Sport Convertible
1984 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
1991 Porsche Carrera 2

35-709

If by "updated for unleaded fuel" you mean hardened valve seats, it has been pretty well established for quite some time that unless the engine is used for racing or marine service where it is under a constant heavy load, hardened valve seats are not necessary.  Same with "snake oils" --- I mean additives. 

The best gasoline, more or less readily available today, to use is 89-90 octane ethanol free gasoline, sometimes called "boat gas", available at marinas and (at least here in Florida) at an ever increasing number of gas stations.  There are several gas stations here in my town that now carry it, yes, it is more expensive.

If the car sits a lot with ethanol laced fuel in it you should absolutely use a preservative such as STA-BIL, added just before you fill the tank.  Actually, it wouldn't hurt to use it with non-ethanol fuel either for a car that sits idle a lot.

Otherwise, if you can only find ethanol laced fuel, use mid-grade or Premium.

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

carguyblack

Following up on the ethanol gas comment, I would highly recommend burning non-ethanol gas if you can find it. My experience is that I wrecked my accelerator pump and fuel pump diaphragm rubber due to ethanol gas deterioration. A the least, put non-ethanol in an empty tank to run through the system prior to any lengthy storage. Good for the peace of mind to know your rubber isn't being deteriorated while the car sits.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Carl Fielding

Do you guys know the compression ratio on these 55 Eldos ? Also , I think Sedona is at about the same elevation as "The Mile High City".  - Carl

David Greenburg

Certainly use an ethanol treatment if no ethanol free gas is available.  There is no E-0 available here in N. Cailif.  I use Marine Sta-bil or Lucas ethanol treatment at every fill up. You might also want to keep some octane booster on hand.  My '61 does not like certain hills without it.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special