News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1968 M&M Cadillac Hearse

Started by metalblessing, March 05, 2018, 01:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalblessing

Upon taking a closer look last week I realized one of the previous owners had connected the alternator to the battery with a blue monster speaker wire. I bought a 4 gauge battery cable to replace it with and I ended up breaking my alternator...

I had previously tightened the nut too tight on the battery bolt of the alternator. As a result the bolt would turn with the nut. Eventually I screwed the bolt right out. Which means the inner bolt fell off inside the alternator. I really didnt want to go through the pain of changing the thing again so I tried JB Welding it in, which worked, but it wouldnt provide much charge. So I find myself replacing my alternator yet again. This time I have learned not to tighten it too much
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

35-709

Check that new shop manual you just got!   :)  The wire from your battery to the alternator should be a #10.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

metalblessing

4 gauge wont hurt right? it will just be overkill I assume

Highwayman68

It can be too much of a strain on the connecting bolt if it is not supported properly. You would be better off using a #10 wire.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

metalblessing

When you say #10, does that mean 10 gauge? I am new to alot of this, so am unsure if # in this case means gauge, or if there is actually a number 10 wire

metalblessing

I might add that a previous owner adapted this thing to bypass the regulator and it is wired direct from the alternator to the positive battery terminal. If that matters

Highwayman68

Yes 10 gauge and I should add that you want an insulation that can withstand the heat so go to a NAPA store and ask for the wire to be used in an engine compartment.

35-709

It sounds like someone has converted it to an alternator with an internal regulator.  I would have someone knowledgeable look at the wiring, you are literally playing with fire here.   

metalblessing

Quote from: 35-709 on July 11, 2018, 10:17:41 PM
It sounds like someone has converted it to an alternator with an internal regulator.  I would have someone knowledgeable look at the wiring, you are literally playing with fire here.

You are correct, a previous owner bypassed the external regulator and installed a more common Delco-Remy alternator. Currently using one of these:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bestest-5350/charging---starting-16772/alternator-11425/f7cab2ae3cc0/bestest-55-amp-alternator-remanufactured/v111618b/4544576

In this picture I have it setup the same way the car came to me. Everything is attached to the "battery" post on the alternator, I have kept it as is for now because I really dont know how else it should be set. I am told elsewhere based on the pictures that the regulator appears to have been bypassed, but this alternator from what I am reading is listed as externally regulated, which would mean its currently not regulated at all it would seem.

I replaced the regulator a few months back before realizing it wasnt even being used.

DeVille68

the more interesting picture would be the one showing the connector at the regulator. There is a 4 way connector. If it is wired for a 10SI (internally regulated) the wire red would be connected to dark blue and white to brown-white.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

metalblessing

I really need to trace these cables and see where they go. My unplugged AC relay is also in that pic. Figured since my blower doesnt work theres no sense in having the potential power draw, so unplugged it.

Highwayman68

Quote from: metalblessing on July 12, 2018, 02:16:13 PM
Figured since my blower doesnt work theres no sense in having the potential power draw, so unplugged it.
New thread? We might be able to help you with that one too.

metalblessing

Yesterday I had my first meet with the Chariots of the Dead Hearse Club Tulsa chapter. 7 of us joined together, only 2 hearses this time though. We cruised downtown Tulsa and made a few stops along the way and gather quite a bit of looks, one parking garage attendant even told us he was sorry for our loss, which was pretty funny.

The other hearse was a 1996 Lincoln Towncar Sayers & Scoville (S&S) hearse

jaxops

This might be a combination ambulance-hearse.  I say that as it has a leather/vinyl rear compartment and is set up like an ambulance. A lot of hearses had brocade interiors with heavy curtains. The combos had a magnetic emergency light they could pop onto the roof for that, and remove it for funerals. 1968 is a beautiful car.  We had a number of those at my father's funeral home in Philadelphia.  Ours were all black.  I like the silver very much.  It has a nice bright interior also. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

67_Eldo

Quote from: metalblessing on July 16, 2018, 10:49:15 AM
one parking garage attendant even told us he was sorry for our loss
Maybe he was referring to your MPG?

:-)

metalblessing

Quote from: jaxops on July 22, 2018, 07:13:21 AM
This might be a combination ambulance-hearse.  I say that as it has a leather/vinyl rear compartment and is set up like an ambulance. A lot of hearses had brocade interiors with heavy curtains. The combos had a magnetic emergency light they could pop onto the roof for that, and remove it for funerals. 1968 is a beautiful car.  We had a number of those at my father's funeral home in Philadelphia.  Ours were all black.  I like the silver very much.  It has a nice bright interior also.

You are correct, this is a combination. The light is not magnetic but is secured to the top with a bolt. I removed the light over the weekend to have it rebuilt correctly, as a previous owner removed the actual Federal Beacon Ray and put an Ecco truck light inside.

Also this past weekend I was finally able to remove the vinyl residue from the doors. Where a claybar failed, I tried scrubbing with starting fluid. The starting fluid took it right off. Before and after pictures

metalblessing

Quote from: 67_Eldo on July 22, 2018, 08:34:06 AM
Maybe he was referring to your MPG?

:-)

Well he wouldnt be wrong. I probably get 6mpg. Maybe 8 highway if I had to guess

35-709

Glad the starting fluid worked without damaging your paint.  WD-40 also does a good job taking off glue residue, although it might take slightly longer it is certainly safer.

metalblessing

Turns out the ambulance light on top of my car was only halfway original. The outside skirt of the Beacon Ray is correct but it seems one of the previous owners at some point removed the light from the dome and replaced it with an "Ecco" yellow strobe, which appear to be used for trucks and construction.

I removed the light last week and mailed it off to have it rebuilt with correct parts. So pretty soon I will have a CORRECT light on my car. In the meantime I have some duct take over the two holes on my roof, and every time it rains I stress out hoping the tape holds. (I dont have a garage big enough for the car, nor can I afford a cover)

metalblessing

Light is back to how it should be