News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Rare offering - The FIRST 1959 Cadillac Wheel Cover

Started by Eldorado James, March 29, 2018, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado James

:o :o :o :o

I've kept this a long time......Many moons ago, I ran into a guy whose Dad had worked at Rockwell during the 1950-1970's.  His Dad was part of the process that created the GM wheel covers and worked with the designers/dye makers/process people to turn the wheel cover designs into reality.  They would then have the GM people sign off on them once they liked them, and then tens-of-thousands of them were made.

Once that process was done, the "test" wheel covers were usually tossed or the people who worked the process took them home.  This guy's Dad had brought a bunch of them home over the years and had hung them on the wall in his den.  Out of the dozen he had, I cherry picked 5 of them...this 1959, and the rest were 1967-78 Eldorado (my main favs). 

Basically this wheel cover was test-made for approval (Inspection sample) for use in the 1959 model year. (If my memory is correct, the 1958 wheel cover is the same but had red medallions).  The date on it appears to be 10/23/1958, not sure of the significance.  The wheel disc (cover) part # also shown on the reverse side. 

I don't know if they made a few or just one at the time.....but clearly this is a piece of Cadillac history, especially if you own a 1959 Cadillac.  It needs to go in somebody's den like a trophy!

Contact me via PM if interested.  Taking offers.......

Eldorado James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

No intention to burst your bubble but 1959 model production was well underway by 10/23/58 which began sometime in September according to the information here.

https://1956eldorado.blogspot.com/2012/01/eldorado-body-1.html
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrench

Back then, statistical sampling methods were beginning to be employed.

So probably, regular samples were taken for quality control.

Such as every 1000 units or so one was pulled and evaluated.

Also, the dies would wear and if they made a new die, they sent a sample in before they made a new run.

If so, then it is possible that they have some historical relevance. Especially if the markings could be decoded.

Some light reading on the subject:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_process_control

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Good luck with selling them, interesting objects in my opinion.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX