News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1969 Eldorado, $5500 in Hawaii

Started by 67_Eldo, April 02, 2018, 11:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

James Landi

Two promising first generation Eldos... have to wonder what the price is to have the Hawaii one shipped to the main land.  Another thought... if I had the means and the passion to do so, is there one out there that you and others have located for the less than 10K ask that is really a bargain and not a supreme disappointment, or would the true "bargain" be one that has had all of the age related issues addressed--- such as the following:   Working ac, working automatic level control, new timing gears, a new(exhaust) system, good front end, with renewed front wheel bearing, etc., no rust (especially under vinyl), and an interior that is not cracking and crumbling

67_Eldo

Speaking for myself, I could not tell whether a car would be a bargain or a disappointment from only an ad. In fact, even if I saw it in person, I'd worry about the "truth" of the matter.

Exhibit A, for me, is my own 67 Eldorado. I took two trips to look it over. I asked lots of questions and poked and prodded quite a bit.

In retrospect, I can see some warning signs I overlooked: I should have tested the vinyl top with a weak magnet, I should have asked why he parked it in a different spot every time I visited, etc. But if a seller is out to deliberately misrepresent a car, there's only so much one can do (other than smelling something fishy and walking away).

As I've mentioned before, if I were to look at 60s-vintage GM cars (not just Cadillacs) *now*, I would not consider a car with a vinyl top. That's an extreme stance, but now I have the empirical body-shop experience to back it up.

Then, on first-gen Eldorados, I'd carefully prod the area around the back window (even on a slick top), the wheel arches and wheel wells, the area along the top of the windshield, and the runs from the top down through the A pillars and out the rocker panels. Check the middle of the (long, heavy) hood for any small depressions that might hold water (allowing the hood to rust on the inside, underneath the hood insulation). On 67s, I'd also check out how the vents on the insides of the rear fenders are holding up.

Above and beyond the standard maintenance questions (timing-gear replacement? Carb adjustments? Points & plugs? etc.), I'd quiz mercilessly about the transmission (e.g. does it "burp" fluid on occasion?). If the transmission never comes up in the conversation, that's a bad sign. Even if it seems to shift just fine … at the moment. It might be the fabulous Turbo-Hydramatic 425, but it will also be 50 years old.

On 67-68 cars, I'd also ask questions about the brakes, particularly if it has disc brakes. Parts for early disc-brake cars are hard to find parts for. Front wheel bearings are not a walk in the park either.

If gauges don't operate properly, ask why. My temperature gauge mysteriously stopped working when I went to pick up my car. The lead from the sensor somehow got disconnected. Once I got it back to my place, I hooked the gauge back up and realized the car was running pretty hot. The radiator was full of crud. So *now* I'd take an infrared thermometer with me to check the engine temp as it idles ... before you buy it. :-)

None of these issues, as far as I'm concerned, can be adequately addressed in an ad. I had a few email exchanges with very honest sellers which were very helpful, but those were the exceptions to the rule. And even in email -- heck, even with the long, illustrated ad for my car which I placed here when I was at the depths of despair! -- all of the details can't be well explored.

Finally, have a mechanic (or shop) on tap who you can trust when you bring a Dream Car home and things start to go wrong. That was my second -- and arguably much larger -- mistake.

Good luck!

chrisntam

It looks awfully......wet.....

What's that sock over the snout of the air cleaner?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Keep out the bugs whilst it is parked?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

STS05lg

Chris,

That car is is covered with tree sap. NOT a GOOD sign.

First Generation Eldorado's are not my area of expertise, however, I have more then a passing knowledge of 1970 Astro/Sun Roofs, this particular option is a RUST magnet. Remember they were installed post final assembly at American Sun Roof, The hole was cut in a finished car and of course no rust inhibitor or paint was applied to the freshly cut metal.

Second, I have more then a passing experience with cars from Hawaii, and believe me they rust in places, that untreated cars used in the winter in Michigan, don't think of rusting. Memo to file Hawaiian cars as subjected to salt air 365 days and nights a year... THEY RUST.

Even if shipping cost were not prohibitive this is a car that if I were interested in, I would not walk away from I would run IMHO.

BJM

Posi front axle?   Is that Hyperbole or actual? 

chrisntam

I wasn't aware there was such a thing for the TH 425....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

67_Eldo

No, there is no positraction/limited-slip for the first-gen Eldorado.

Buick designed the differential and obviously skipped the limited-slip option out of spite!

MercsDude

I wonder what sort of restoration resources exist in Hawaii. Without them, this car is a goner. He could get more out of it by parting it, but then again he would have to ship the parts from HAWAII... :( :(

BJM

Hawaii is probably like "Cuba lite".  It presents an interesting issue.  Cars aren't like most items.  They weigh a couple tons.  I wonder if there are laws limiting how many cars can come in, and of course there would be encouragement to recycle.  I suspect there are scrap yards that do all right, once there are enough to justify, they load a ship up and it probably goes to China these days.

Jus t speculation but MercsDude made me think about that.

Bill Young

Glen

That car has a Washington license plate.  I don’t know about Hawaii Island but Oahu (Honolulu City and County) will not let you register an out of state car that you can not produce a shipping document for.  Friend of mine shipped his S10 in a container with his household goods.  Because the truck was not on the shipping document he could not register it.  He eventually gave it to a guy that collects S10s (he’s rumored to have over 200).   I don’t think you can ship a car you don’t have title to.  Maybe the big island is different, that’s where this car is. 
The sunroof is interesting, I have seen a 69 Eldo with a factory sunroof but it was supposed to start with the 70 model year.  If this car is a recent arrival the rust maybe not as bad as one that has lived in Hawaii all its life.  But vinyl roof is always a problem.  I’m glad my car is a slick top. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104