News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1968 DeVille Conv front outboard seat belt retractors rebuild

Started by cadillacmike68, August 26, 2018, 11:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Is there any way to rebuild the retractors on the front outboard belts?

My driver side has been FUBAR'd for a while and I found a medium blue one (I can dye / paint the retractor cover and the belt won't show unless its pulled out!), but I'd prefer to get my original dark blue belt into the good retractor.

Problem is the plastic surround on the spring mechanism says: "Caution - do not remove". I don't want to mess up a good complete retractor with a good cover.

The passenger retractor works good, but the cover disintegrated years ago. I have the matching medium blue retractor cover plus a couple of new black repros (for each side).

How does one get a replacement retractor on the buckle?? That buckle is enormous!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bentley

Mike,

I just packed up all 6 of my seat belts and shipped them off to be rewebbed. I have the same problem with the driver's side retractor. I asked the vendor, Seat Belt Planet, if they can fix it and they said yes. They would need to pop that "Caution - Do not Remove" plastic cap off and replace the spring inside. So the answer is, it can be fixed. But, it is beyond my capability, so I'm letting them do it.

Regarding the passenger-side plastic cover for the retractor. The only way to get the buckle through the plastic housing is to work backwards. You have to disconnect the bottom end of the belt from the retractor, thread it through the plastic housing, and reattach it to the retractor.

Hope this helps.

Wes
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Bentley on August 27, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
Mike,

I just packed up all 6 of my seat belts and shipped them off to be rewebbed. I have the same problem with the driver's side retractor. I asked the vendor, Seat Belt Planet, if they can fix it and they said yes. They would need to pop that "Caution - Do not Remove" plastic cap off and replace the spring inside. So the answer is, it can be fixed. But, it is beyond my capability, so I'm letting them do it.

Regarding the passenger-side plastic cover for the retractor. The only way to get the buckle through the plastic housing is to work backwards. You have to disconnect the bottom end of the belt from the retractor, thread it through the plastic housing, and reattach it to the retractor.

Hope this helps.

Wes

Wes, disconnecting the bottom end of the belt, the wound up end inside the retactor, is not possible. It is sewn up around itself and stitched real tight. I would be better off cutting the stitching at the buckle end and having it re-sewn at that end. I'm not sure if my 50 year old singer sewing machine can re-stitch it. It's a simple enough box -x pattern but the web belt is pretty thick.

Do you have a link or contact phone for seat belt city? maybe they can fix my left side and re-sew the belt to the buckle on my passenger side.

Or, I just put this med blue on in the driver side. I would just like nice covered retractors again.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bentley

Mike,

Below is the contact info to Seat Belt Planet. They have been very helpful, sending me color swatches and answering my questions over the phone. I'm sure they can help you.

Wes

Steve Pekrul

Product Line Manager - Retail

Visit us at:

www.seatbeltplanet.com

Or call (405) 736-0088

Worldwide Leader in Aftermarket

And Custom Seat Belts
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183