News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1956 transmission cooler

Started by Bronze, August 27, 2018, 04:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronze

Hi guys,
Just a quick question, I am putting together a used engine and trans for my 56 convertible. Figured out most of the hosing but for the Trans cooler i am not sure if the cooler is directional. Which pipe goes to the outlet on the engine block and which connection goes to the water pump. Or possibly it does not matter. Have googled and searched extensively but not found the ansver...

Bronze

Hmmm...Did i unknowingly violate some forum etiquette and by doing so receiving a wall of silence as reply?

Jokes aside, I would really apreciate some advice as the engine and trans are going in coming weekend. does it matter which way the water flows in the trans cooler?
Thanks in advance.
/Martin

novetti

Wish I could help but I am only familiar to 54's (and they don't have the trans cooler) 8)

Someone should chime in sooner or later.

cheers
54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

CadillacRob

That's actually a trans heater.  Hot coolant is routed there.  No, I don't believe it matters which way it flows in that little heater.

My transmission guy told me to plug the water hole on the side of the block and wherever it also connects to (water pump?) And to buy a trans cooler to put on the radiator so that it actually does cool rather than heat.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bronze on August 28, 2018, 03:23:41 AM
Hmmm...Did i unknowingly violate some forum etiquette and by doing so receiving a wall of silence as reply?

Jokes aside, I would really apreciate some advice as the engine and trans are going in coming weekend. does it matter which way the water flows in the trans cooler?
Thanks in advance.
/Martin

Martin,

From the cooler side it does not matter as these are by-directional. However, from the routing of the hoses the cooler lines are position to better place input and output hoses and routing them.

The one from the side of the block would best go in the straight line at the cooler and the output back to the water pump would go on the one that is bent at the cooler.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: CadillacRob on August 28, 2018, 07:37:24 AM
That's actually a trans heater.  Hot coolant is routed there.  No, I don't believe it matters which way it flows in that little heater.

My transmission guy told me to plug the water hole on the side of the block and wherever it also connects to (water pump?) And to buy a trans cooler to put on the radiator so that it actually does cool rather than heat.

Rob,

You are correct the “cooler” as it is label from the Service Manual/MPL is more of a “warmer” since the ATF pipe twist a couple of turns inside.

Since these Hydra-matics the ATF do not get real hot per say (under normal conditions) the cooler would help to bring the ATF temp up a bit faster during engine warm up. It also help to keep the ATF at a constant temp, so we could consider “cooling” the ATF as well.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bronze

Many thanks for the replies, exactly what i needed!

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

I cheated!

I installed a later radiator with the lines for the cooling/heating on the bottom of the radiator. Removed the cooler and routed the lines directly to the tranny. I did this over 30 years ago and it works great.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series