News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

60's Cadillac differences

Started by CadillacRob, September 02, 2018, 01:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Hey all,

I have really only experienced 50's cadillacs.  I was kicking around the idea of maybe getting a 60's model so that, provided it being in good mechanical shape, I could drive it more often, highways, road trips, etc. 

I'm thinking 64-68 sedan DeVille.  What are some of the pro's and cons to these model years?  When did Cadillac come out with overdrive?  Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Scot Minesinger

Overdrive was early 1980's.

The 1969 included headrests and disc brakes as standard.  In 1968 the disc brakes were optional on all RWD.

I would go with a 1968 if that was the newest year allowed because you get the 472 engine (68 is first year), collapsible steering column (first came out in 67).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

64\/54Cadillacking

I know this is a very subjective topic, but personally after owning my 64 Cadillac, and previously owning a 68 Caddy, hands down the 64 is the styling winner, but the 68 was one great performing ride.

The 64 just screams “cool n classy” and has some of that 50’s era flair and kinda feels like it at times, while the 68 is more modern and more reliable.

Both are awesome cars and either are a great choice.

There’s really no cons in regards to either years, but I will say that the 64 comfort climate control system is problematic and complex to repair.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

D.Smith

Big difference in early 60s vs. late 60s in how they drive.     My 68 Eldorado drove like a modern car.   My 61 drives like a city Bus.   

If your criteria is that it is better all around for longer road trips I'd look at later ones with tilt wheel and functioning climate control.

Don't worry about things that can be ADDED.  Disc brakes kits are now available. You can add seat belts and hidden stereo upgrades etc.

The things that make a difference are variable ration power steering,  tilt or tilt & telescope steering columns that make driving better.   

Tilt wheel came out in 63.
Tilt and telescope in 65.
Climate control in 64
Twilight Sentinel in 64
AM/FM radio in 63
AM/FM stereo in 66
Disc brakes - Eldorado 67
Disc brakes - all  68
Standard Variable ratio power steering  66
Standard side marker illumination 68

So I'd look for a 66 or 68 myself.    I think 66 is the pinnacle of style and build quality.  Plus you will get variable ration power steering and a chance at more comfort options.

The 68 gives you all that plus the 472 motor with 375 hp vs 340 prior.   The 68s also have side marker illumination at night.  Which if you drive at night on the highway you will be more visible to other motorists. Sounds trivial but its a safety thing that most people don't think about.  Looks nice too.

Those early climate control systems are pricey to get working so test that on cars so equipped when shopping.

76eldo

I'd expand into the 69/70 models if a suitable one was found.
Great drivetrain and comfort.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Much of the way a 1960's Cadillac drives is condition.  I recently completed a front and rear 1965 SDV suspension restoration, complete with steering system restore and brakes.  Then timing chain replace and engine tune.  Climate control was restored too.  Even replaced several body to frame bushings and body mounts.  The repairs of each system were very complete, all new suspension bushings, new springs - everything did it myself.  Anyway after completion driving down the highway at 70mph with a/c on you forget that you are in an old car.  I think a 1960;s Caddy in good mechanical condition will drive wonderful.  Incidentally, the work I described on the 1965 DVC (like at least 15k worth) increased the value $0.50, because cosmetics is what people care about.  This was done so it could be driven and the experience would be enjoyable.

I favor the 1967 and newer because that was first year of the collapsible steering column.  Look at the center hub of the 1966 and earlier steering wheels an imagine striking that with your chest at speed.   
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Maynard Krebs

There truly are some great things about 1960s Cadillacs.   They had dual master cylinders five years ahead of everybody else (except Rambler), for example.   Another is that Cadillac never went to a 14" rim... which translates into easier obtaining of good tires these days.   1960s Cadillacs are easier and cheaper to work on than the main competition of that era... and the execution of workmanship, especially in the bodies, is superior in Cads.

Personally, I like '63 - '66.   If you get a chance, notice the quality difference in '63 - '64 factory carpet quality.. versus '65 onward.   Beginning in '67, quality & styling began to slip more.   FWIW, I despise the high-back front seats, which began in the very late 60s.

While the 472 is considered by some to be better than the 429, I still prefer the '64s... which don't get the frame rot that the perimeter-frame ones often do.

Sure, disc brakes are desirable, perhaps preferable.  However, given how most of these fine old cars are driven, a proper-maintained all-drum set-up performs just fine, IMO.

Finally, if I had an FM stereo in my 60s Cadillac, I'd take it out, sell it, and get a stock MONORAL FM for it.  I cannot fathom why car makers won't include a switch to take advantage of the wider bandwidth of single-channel FM... which performs far superior in many situations.. in comparison with stereo ones that often have too much noise in most listening environments.  I'd rather listen to a single-channel FM with far less noise than a stereo one with more noise.  Is this not logical?

jaxops

I very much like the 1960's Cadillacs because that was my era, and worked on them with my father.  As much as I want a 1960 Cadillac, I would opt for the 1968 because it retained the style, stacked headlights, and can be driven easier in modern traffic.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

67_Eldo

If you're going to drive the car and keep it for any length of time, get the 68. Parts for the 429 are getting harder to come by.

You don't want to spend all of your potential driving time searching the Web (and the World) for 429-specific bits and pieces.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Couple other '60s improvements to add to Scot's list:

Dual master cylinder brake system - 1962
Cornering lamps - 1962
Alternator - 1963
Turbo Hydramatic - 1964 (exc Series 62 and Series 75).
PCV system - 1968
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeepers Creepers

Get a 64 Fleetwood Sixty Special....... for when only the best will do.  :)

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

D.Smith

If you want A/C get a 63.   Last year without problematic climate control.

If you want the most modern in safety and style get a 68. 

If you don't want A/C and don't care about safety get a 66 without climate control.

jdemerson

COMPARING 1964 THROUGH 1969 CADILLACS

This list repeats some of what has already been said, but it has some additional detail.

1964   Climate Control air conditioning available, engine size increased to 340
hp and 429 cu. in., introduction of Turbo-Hydramatic, Twilight Sentinel
lights with delay feature, last use of tail fin

1965   New body style, vertical headlights, fins gone, curved side-glass,
full perimeter frame replaces X, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Delco super-lift automatic leveling shocks, front seat belts standard, rear seat belts optional, Brougham option on Sixty Special model

1966   Optional variable-ratio power steering, optional heated seats, optional stereo AM/FM radio, front and rear seat belts standard, Fleetwood Brougham now a separate model

1967   New body style, new front-drive Eldorado, printed mylar-circuit dashboards, energy-absorbing steering column, heavily-padded instrument panel, hazard warning flashers, optional front shoulder straps, optional front disc brakes on Eldorado

1968   New 375 hp 472 cubic inch V8, government-required side-marker lights, concealed windshield wipers under longer hood, optional front disc brakes on all models, the last year with vent windows, seat belts standard in all positions with two front shoulder belts (option at start of model year), retractors on outside belts, rear shoulder belts optional. Shoulder belts not available for center seat position

1969   Horizontal headlights return, vent windows eliminated, first electric sunroof offered, last use of genuine wood veneer, power front disc brakes standard on all models, added safety equipment including push-button seat belt buckles and automatic belt retractors, front headrests, ignition/shift interlock, locking steering wheel, horn control built into steering wheel rim, first closed coolant recovery system, optional power door locks now electric, Dual Comfort (60-40) front seats on Brougham and optional on other models, optional eight-track stereo tape player

My vote is for 1968, for reasons mentioned above. But the condition of the particular car is very important.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

CadillacRob

Thanks for the info everyone.   I will keep that in mind.  The biggest factor is the "right" car has to cross my path.  (Minimal rust, running condition, etc.)

For me, either the 4 door or convertible are the best looking body styles of the 60's era.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: D.Smith on September 03, 2018, 06:21:29 PM
If you want A/C get a 63.   Last year without problematic climate control.

If you want the most modern in safety and style get a 68. 

If you don't want A/C and don't care about safety get a 66 without climate control.

Climate control is Not problematic if you do a little routine maintenance checks.

Climate Control was in approx 90% (or more) of all Cadillacs built so finding one without it Will be problematic.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

metalblessing

I really love my 1968 for 2 reasons:

1. 1968 was the first year of the legendary 472 engine.
2. 1968 was the last year of the stacked headlights

Also worth noting that the hood lip moulding on the 68 is unique to 68 as they have the little curve. I'm not sure how many other years were interchangable or is 65-67 were.
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination