News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Separation anxiety?

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, September 10, 2018, 11:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I'm Arkless... for the 1st time since 16Dec17 The Ark is not home.

I saw Michael was on Facebook after the Patriots WIN yesterday afternoon, so I texted him to please not
forget me and the replacement of the battery cable, I know he's busy so I try not to be too much of a PITA.
He texted me right back "can you meet me at the shop now, I'll put it in storage and get to it when I can this
week. I'll give you a ride home."

On a Sunday.

Texted him right back, "we're on our way". Can you say blessed? So blessed.

I walk by the lair, peek in, its empty. I feel like a parent who's child is in the hospital and I can't visit.
Are these the feelings of an overly reactive red headed only child Capricorn female, or do you guys get the same twinges when your cars go away for restoration etc?

Maybe this is good 'emotional practice' for when The Ark does go away for an extended time this winter for
the roof job. Or am I just being female...

\m/
Laurie

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Laurie,
It sure sounds like you need a hobby to divert your attention in times of stress.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Bob Schuman

Laurie,
You are a 100% normal "car nut", at least from my perspective. I have a fully functional 1951 Cadillac that I can't drive because its steering wheel is gone for recasting for a few more weeks, so I know just how you feel.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Dan LeBlanc

Once you've had the car for awhile or have had a few, these moments become just another day.  I dropped off the 77 this morning to my painter.  He's going to touch up a quarter panel on the 77.  Dropped it off, left, and on the way out the driveway, all I could think is I'll need to detail it when it gets home.  Something happens to it, there's always insurance and always another car.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Highwayman68

My 9 MONTHS of being away from mine began this weekend  :-[

I can see it over the Holidays when I am in town there but rarely do I get to drive it then.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

savemy67

Hello Laurie,

You need a distraction...like a '56 Hydra-Matic transmission to play with :)

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

chrisntam

The down time is when you obtain / search for parts and plan what you're going to do next.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Glen

You could use your time to read the shop manual, learn how the car works, what it takes to fix it.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 10, 2018, 12:10:24 PM
Laurie,
It sure sounds like you need a hobby to divert your attention in times of stress.
Greg Surfas

THIS CAR IS MY HOBBY TO DIVERT MY ATTENTION IN TIMES OF STRESS!

LMAO!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Get yourself a plastic model of your car that has to be assembled, and make it up as a recreation of your own.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

autoluke

Try romance...the car will be only a memory.
Phil Lukens

marty55cdv

Laurie, I dropped off my 55 to be painted it has been in my possession since 2005 so I feel your pain, although I have others to keep me entertained. I will get by, but still.....
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I know what you mean. The 55 has been in our garage since we got it. It took 6 months to get it running and my son drives it a couple days/week. Because of that the 70 is in the hanger at the airport. I see her on weekends mostly. I sure miss it in the garage. I do swap them out now and again but mostly the 55 is at home. On nice weekends I leave the Honda at the airport and bring the 70 home but she has to sit outside.
To drive home how much I agree with you, I was job hunting a few months ago and one of the things I considered was where the job was because I wanted to swing by and swap out the Honda for the 70 once in a while.
Just for the record the 70 is home today---and yep, son drove it to school.
Jeff

Oh, and in case my wife ever reads this, I missed you more when I stayed home and you went to Colorado with your mother last year ☺
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

chrisntam

Quote from: autoluke on September 11, 2018, 07:41:00 AM
Try romance...the car will be only a memory.

Yeah, but then you won't have any money left to spend on the car.....

:o
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

'Romance'... don't I have enough f'ing problems? There's an Uber for that now.

"Oh, and in case my wife ever reads this, I missed you more when I stayed home and you went to Colorado with your mother last year" PMSL Jeff! There's a few folks around here who's classics share hangar space with G4s, Dassault's and Cesna's.

Cute idea Bruce, I wonder if one exists?

Glen I have a shop manual, got it immediately after I bought The Ark upon the strong advice of the good folks here. I did quite a bit of work to the car this spring, things I'm comfortable and capable of doing. If I had a lift, air tools, time, etc, I might do more. Its worth it to my peace of mind to have the pro's do the heavy lifting. I spend more time driving and less time towing with this formula.

Chris I've fine tuned the materials that will be used this winter. "A" if business turns around, "B" if it doesn't. That cross grain roof could be tuxedo, and that beautiful material for the headliner could turn vinyl. I have until November to buy the materials.

Christopher the only thing I do to that tranny is check the fluid when the engine is hot...

Mark I'm sorry about your separation, can't you ship it to FL? I can hook you up with Badlands, they run up and down 95 twice a week, covered carrier.

I hear you Dan. But I'm pretty emotionally attached to this car and the odds of me getting another are somewhere between 0 and -2%. If I hit Powerball, well....

Bob, Marty, thank you for proving I'm not nuts! LOL! Before/after pics Bob?

You guys rock \m/

The new headlights and headlight switch arrived today, now to have a car home to molest.

Thanks guys, this is like having brothers, warm and fuzzy.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Glen

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on September 12, 2018, 12:26:55 AM
Glen I have a shop manual, got it immediately after I bought The Ark upon the strong advice of the good folks here. I did quite a bit of work to the car this spring, things I'm comfortable and capable of doing. If I had a lift, air tools, time, etc, I might do more. Its worth it to my peace of mind to have the pro's do the heavy lifting. I spend more time driving and less time towing with this formula.

Even more reason you need to read the shop manual.  You need to be able to tell if your mechanic knows what he is talking about.     Just because s/he knows Chevys does not mean s/he knows Cadillac. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

You just need to get another Cadillac. May I suggest a 1994-96 Fleetwood. Very low on maintenance, nearly indestructible, and still inexpensive to get one.

Do not under any circumstances get a 1992 Brougham. Please forward any such information on one of these for sale that you come across to me and I will ensure the necessary actions are completed to remove that car from the available list.  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Glen on September 12, 2018, 02:06:02 AM
Even more reason you need to read the shop manual.  You need to be able to tell if your mechanic knows what he is talking about.     Just because s/he knows Chevys does not mean s/he knows Cadillac.

I appreciate your concern Glen, thank you. The Ark's mechanics are Gary Amster and his son Michael Amster, Hyannis Vintage Auto. They'll be doing the body work too. This company has been restoring cars for almost 50 years. Their work is present at every Barret-Jackson, Mecum, Gooding and RM sale. Gary thrashed my motor about 2 months ago, an hour later it felt like he put a new engine in it. It isn't possible for The Ark to be in better hands.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on September 12, 2018, 02:06:30 AM
You just need to get another Cadillac. May I suggest a 1994-96 Fleetwood. Very low on maintenance, nearly indestructible, and still inexpensive to get one.

Do not under any circumstances get a 1992 Brougham. Please forward any such information on one of these for sale that you come across to me and I will ensure the necessary actions are completed to remove that car from the available list.  :P

LOL! I'll keep that in mind Mike, thanks!
If I ever 'was' to be able to afford another, it would be a '60 something, the year I was born.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I guess there seems to be a lasting attachment to these "friends" of ours.  About 8 years ago I sold my '66 which had been my daily driver for nearly 20 years to a fellow in the UK.  Yesterday he sent me an update on how the car was "behaving" and a couple of pictures. Kind of like seeing a picture of a long lost friend.
Greg Surfas

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-