News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Roof autopsy today on The Ark

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, November 05, 2018, 01:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Got the call this morning, The Ark goes into the upholstery shop on January 28th.
Yes.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Praise God with Him everything is possible. I never thought today would come... the HALO painted roof trim and interior ceiling trim for The Ark is wrapped and loaded (ergo OUT OF MY HOUSE) and ready to go to the shop. Along with a small fortune in materials, all on board, ready to GO. Tomorrow! And I have my dining room table back, YES! So excited to have part of my den back with so much product out and loaded, only to have The Ark's jammies in there now. I need to be grateful, and I am, so damn blessed.

Early and quick job in the AM for a beloved commercial client, then home to get The Ark to Paul's Upholstery in Chatham. I can't wait. I've been waiting for tomorrow for a LONG time, so blessed. Hope you all had a wonderful and blessed Sunday.

\m/
Laurie

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/2059867200795085/

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

This seems to be going quickly...
Video of us in transport today -
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/2060992477349224/

Got a call around 4pm from the upholstery shop, the long side ceiling trims are off, come and get them. Back to Chatham to fetch them. Wash, paint, dry, paint, dry, back to the shop by Friday. Here'$ pics of The Ark in Paul'$ $hop, getting ready to get all kind$ of pretty. Old headliner is already out, new roof laid out and coming to room temperature.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Paul called today, he needs to get The Ark DONE so he can have his shop back.
So I rushed the yet to be cured final 4 pieces of interior ceiling trim up to him today. He'll be installing them Saturday. The Ark is out of there Monday morning and will be trucked immediately to Hyannis Vintage Auto, they still have to reinstall the rear window and trim. Michael has to replace the power steering pump bracket and 2 new belts, and replace a possible fuse as my interior lights are inop since they did the roof job. I'm guessing one of the 3 wires in either of the reading lights in the sail panels 'touched' and took out the fuse. Everything else electrical still works. AND fix the tranny indicator that idiot driver broke in November, that tow company will be billed. Bucklers Towing will again be chauffeuring The Ark to Hyannis

People are going to be badly hung over on Monday morning, as long as the Patriots win they'll at least be in a good mood. Go Pats! GO ARK! How's that roof trim look with the dang HALO paint job? And all the freshly painted turquoise ceiling trim? Remember I'm a rookie at this... Please be gentle.

Total cost for the job, start to finish - removal of old roof, roof metal repair/welding/paint, installation of new roof, installation of new headliner, purchase of materials (roof, headliner, NOS script for both sides, new shoulder belt covers, restoration of original visors) -$6,000 USD

Doesn't include the time spent (weeks) fretting over the materials for the roof and headliner, time spent painting the dang HALO and interior ceiling trim, and hours/days spent looking for the other parts. Stick a fork in Phase 1, its done. Bartender?

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

rajeevx7

Kudos for taking on the new vinyl roof, and professionally to boot 8) A great vinyl top has the same effect as great wheels, it lifts the entire car up.

Did you say you painted the inside turquoise trim with a brush? Can’t see the texture from any pics.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: rajeevx7 on February 01, 2019, 01:13:04 PM
Kudos for taking on the new vinyl roof, and professionally to boot 8) A great vinyl top has the same effect as great wheels, it lifts the entire car up.

Did you say you painted the inside turquoise trim with a brush? Can’t see the texture from any pics.

Thank you!

God knows I wasn't attempting that job myself, I want to DRIVE my car, not look at it for months or years in pieces. Let the pro's do the work, hand over your AmEx, drive!

Dang right you can't see any 'texture' LOL! I'm a home improvement contractor, I do a LOT of painting. Used exterior latex Duration after proper preparation and a Wooster brush, taking my time under ideal climate conditions and lighting. You'd need a magnifying glass to see any brush strokes. If there are any.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Another "secret" is to warm up the can containing the paint.   Sit it in a container of hot water.   Flows better that way.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 01, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
Another "secret" is to warm up the can containing the paint.   Sit it in a container of hot water.   Flows better that way.

Bruce I'd never advise that with Sherwin Williams Duration or Super Paint, or any SW product, it could start the cure process right in the container. I've noticed on a hot summer day doing exterior painting with these products they can get 'caulky' if they get too warm. I keep the products covered and in the shade on a hot, sunny day. And only pour enough into a bucket than I can use in 30 minutes with constant stirring. Proper preparation is the key, the surface has to washed/scrubbed clean, sanded where necessary, washed off again, completely dry, proper paint applied in the proper climate in the proper manner and with a super high quality brush, this contractor recommends Wooster brushes. I have a HUGE interior paint job in 2 weeks on one of my ocean fronts, all SW Duration and Harmony, all Wooster brushes and rollers. We're booked for a huge apartment thrash in 4 weeks, to the studs, new bath, new kitchen etc. Its an S8 so all Home Depot paint, brushes and rollers.

Oh, if you guys looked at the pictures of The Ark's interior roof when the headliner was removed you may have noticed rust in some areas. They sanded them and painted with POR15 before they added the padding then the new headliner, I just found that out today. You get what you pay for.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 02, 2019, 12:31:35 AM......Bruce I'd never advise that with Sherwin Williams Duration or Super Paint, or any SW product, it could start the cure process right in the container. Laurie 
Okay, maybe it was only with enamel paint, but I know that's how Rolls Royces were painted way back, and these Artisans only used brushes, no spray equipment.

The warm paint took care of the brush strokes.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 02, 2019, 05:28:40 AM
Okay, maybe it was only with enamel paint, but I know that's how Rolls Royces were painted way back, and these Artisans only used brushes, no spray equipment.

The warm paint took care of the brush strokes.

That would make sense with an oil based product. I'm using a latex.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 02, 2019, 11:45:20 AMThat would make sense with an oil based product. I'm using a latex.   Laurie 
You have to remember that I am old school, and still like using Duco, Enamel and have a Flip Phone.   Still remember when I had a Bag Phone (Brick).

PS.  I even used some paint the other day that I got in 1976

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 02, 2019, 05:58:34 PM
You have to remember that I am old school, and still like using Duco, Enamel and have a Flip Phone.   Still remember when I had a Bag Phone (Brick).

PS.  I even used some paint the other day that I got in 1976

Flip phone, PMSL!!!
I remember having a 'car phone', in my '81 Coupe. $1000 USD installed and a buck a minute in or out.
Bruce, even if you seal the paint can properly, with a layer of Saran Wrap between the can and lid, and keep it above 50 degrees, its dead in 2 years, that's a quality paint. Splurge, buy some fresh paint, its cheap, LOL!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark leaving Paul's Upholstery in Chatham today, heading back to the House of Amster a/k/a Hyannis Vintage Auto where it arrived safely. I couldn't believe when I inspected the car Paul failed to reinstall the B pillar cover on the driver's side. Texted him, WTF? He admitted to a brain phart and 'see if Michael can put it back on, other wise I'll come down to Hyannis and install it.' Hey Paul, I paid YOU to do it, see you in Hyannis brother.

Upon arrival Michael inspected the roof, script, my paint jobs on the *HALO* roof trim, interior trim and the new headliner/visors. And the car restoration God smiled and said it was Good. Nice.

He said The Ark won't be done for a couple of weeks, they're busy. And he's busy with The Ark, replace rear window and exterior trim, R&R power steering bracket and new belts, the interior lights are inop, prolly a fuse. And he has to fix the tranny indicator the moron from Silver Cloud Towing broke. Also noticed the negative battery cable was loose, prolly me not tightening it enough after I worked on the headlights. I also gently whined about the belts looking 'funny' when the motor is running. I still suspect when they replaced the water pump they used a NAPA/whatever pump, it doesn't fit. ONLY a 1970 water pump will 'fit'. Also whined about a funny 'smell' don't know if its dripping oil or antifreeze, though both are at their proper level. I guess I'm not happy unless I'm whining about something.

At least its something to whine about that ISN'T my job, my life. And that's the whole idea. Looking forward to having The Ark home when its ready. His dance card is starting to fill for this show season.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

"I also gently whined about the belts looking 'funny' when the motor is running. I still suspect when they replaced the water pump they used a NAPA/whatever pump, it doesn't fit. ONLY a 1970 water pump will 'fit'. Also whined about a funny 'smell' don't know if its dripping oil or antifreeze, though both are at their proper level."

If that is a later model water pump on your car, what you are smelling may be the inner PS/AC belt rubbing on the water pump.  You probably remember a discussion about this on these forums a short time ago.  The water pump you need properly fits through '73 (possibly '74), after that Cadillac went to a single belt system to clear the new HEI system and changed the belt clearance on the pump.  Any parts store selling new 472/500 water pumps are the newer version only, they will physically fit but the inner belt will rub.  As I remember there are aftermarket pump makers, such as Flow-Kooler, that have the earlier style pump, new.  You can get the earlier style at parts stores but only as rebuilts.  If what you are experiencing is indeed the belt rubbing, you can remove the inner belt and just go with one but keep it snug and you may have some belt squeal when the AC is on --- maybe not.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on February 05, 2019, 09:59:28 AM
"I also gently whined about the belts looking 'funny' when the motor is running. I still suspect when they replaced the water pump they used a NAPA/whatever pump, it doesn't fit. ONLY a 1970 water pump will 'fit'. Also whined about a funny 'smell' don't know if its dripping oil or antifreeze, though both are at their proper level."

If that is a later model water pump on your car, what you are smelling may be the inner PS/AC belt rubbing on the water pump.  You probably remember a discussion about this on these forums a short time ago.  The water pump you need properly fits through '73 (possibly '74), after that Cadillac went to a single belt system to clear the new HEI system and changed the belt clearance on the pump.  Any parts store selling new 472/500 water pumps are the newer version only, they will physically fit but the inner belt will rub.  As I remember there are aftermarket pump makers, such as Flow-Kooler, that have the earlier style pump, new.  You can get the earlier style at parts stores but only as rebuilts.  If what you are experiencing is indeed the belt rubbing, you can remove the inner belt and just go with one but keep it snug and you may have some belt squeal when the AC is on --- maybe not.

Great points Geoff. With the broken bracket being replaced and now the pump staying tight, and the proper belts being installed, its possible the smell and wobble I smell/see goes away. We'll see. As always I'll leave it up to Michael to tell me if its safe/OK, etc. Right now that inner belt is flopping on the pulley.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on February 05, 2019, 01:12:17 PM
Flopping is not good.
GEOFF   :)

SORRY! editing.... it was late. I've had the Anthrax series, etc.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

OK, final pics of the roof, rear window and new headliner.
Power steering bracket and belts replaced. Gary looked at the new belts when it was
running and deduced the issue is the fan, someone replaced it and its wrong, the fan clutch thingy
sticks out too far out. Not dangerous to drive, not a real issue, but that's what's making the belts look
wobbly when the engine is running. The Ark is home, back in its Lair, and its not moving again until April.
I'll add fan replacement to the "everything important is done so lets blow money on this" list.
So glad this is OVER. We're on their schedule for next winter for paint, 2 skirts and a back door, oh jeez....
That will conclude everything I'm prepared to do on the exterior. Interior? If I can find another steering wheel I'd do that if its reasonably priced, which it won't be. But I'm not touching the interior, its fine. I love the gray hairs on a soon to be 50 year old car. I want a right side mirror, and I want it to have some 'funk' to it so it matches everything else.
Been a fun thread, and like an aching tooth I'm glad its been pulled.
Thank you all for posts and most importantly hand holding and encouragement.
Now to get The Ark's 2019 show season finalized....
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Looks like a prize winner to me!  Still don't get the belt/fan issue, the belts go across the water pump pulley which the fan bolts to.  Hard to see the issue there in my mind's eye not being there.  Have to ASSume he looked closely at the inner belt where it goes across the lower water pump hose inlet. 

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on February 12, 2019, 11:04:41 AM
Looks like a prize winner to me!  Still don't get the belt/fan issue, the belts go across the water pump pulley which the fan bolts to.  Hard to see the issue there in my mind's eye not being there.  Have to ASSume he looked closely at the inner belt where it goes across the lower water pump hose inlet.

Aww thanks Geoff. Gary, the owner/Michael's father, doesn't miss much, he's been doing this forever and owns a few old Caddy's, some original, some restomods. If he says its the fan clutch, its the fan clutch. He's tagged the pax side manifold for replacement, WAY down the road. Its noisy when its cold, get's quieter when it heats up and the metal expands. That can wait.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville