News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'76 Eldo convertibles?

Started by fishnjim, June 30, 2019, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

From time to time, I get the drop top urge and go off searching for Thee car - hoping I don't find - just to satisfy the craving temporarily.   Lately, I noticed a whole bunch of white with white leather and red interiors on market and got to searching, and the last 200 were apparently deemed to be this color scheme.   I think white makes these "last of the land yachts" undesirable and look more like whales.   Seeing how the last of front engine era C7 just sold for $2.7M, they should have allowed more choice, so as not dilute the pool.   It too was predetermined, so I guess it's an exec power thing.
Anyone know the story of who/why they made such a terrible decision in HQ?   
I was in college at that time, so didn't follow cars as much, more dedicated to keep mine going and if I did I forgot by now...
I know quite a few were 'put away" for investments as the "last" convs, but that theory didn't hold long and they're trickling out from time to time as those collectors age off.   A couple high dollar die-hards hoping to lure an unsuspecting buyer.   So much for foresight.

D.Smith

1976 was the Bicentennial year.    So it was fitting that the last one was a Bicentennial edition and red white and blue.

The only reason they made 200 identical last ones was because everybody wanted to buy the last one. So 199 people got one and the Cadillac Museum kept the very last one. 

All 14,000 were "last" convertibles.  You did have plenty of choice in selecting any colors you wanted if you were lucky enough that your dealer was allocated one of the 13,800 other ones.   There are plenty of examples of special ordered one too in non standard colors and interiors.

76eldo

There are lots of beautiful low mileage 76 Eldo’s for sale. If you are patient you can find the color you want. I see these cars going up in value lately so I wouldn’t wait too long.  I found mine on eBay and drive two hours to look at it and buy it. That was about 15 years ago. It’s black with a black top (now in black cloth) with a red interior.

To me that’s my favorite combo.  There are lots of colors to choose from.
The way they finished up with the last 200 being Bicentennial models made sense then and still makes sense to me. It was a special edition.

14,000 made with many bought as investments and barely driven means that there are many to choose from at any given time.

Be selective and buy a good one that doesn’t need a lot of work.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Yes, what Dave wrote.

Executive summary:  You cannot pay too much for a good one!  They are expensive and difficult to get all the bugs out.

Seems that I get really nice ones in my shop or really difficult ones.  My experience with the 71 - 76 Eldorado convertibles that need work is not great:

1.  They were at one time popular and traded hands a lot (not all of them), but the ones that have been brought to my shop have been the most violated and molested imaginable.  The greatest violation is the replace the radio with a modern unit issue, where the original radio was removed by lowering the top and using a back hoe to take apart the dash.  This means many clips and anchors are busted, wires compromised and etc.

2.  Very few top mechanisms work very well, the design is problematic. 

3.  The front drive requires extremly good quality tires and rims.  Vibrations and shaking is usually the result of poor tires and dented rims, not alignments.

4.  The automatic level control can be an issue too, but not costly to make serviceable and work around.

What I thought would be a problem is the front drive, but it is not.  The longitudinal mounted engine (crank shaft parallel with length of doors rather than axles really helps with smoothness.  Plus I love the torsion bar front end ride and handling. 

Again, one popular fact in the old car hobby is that you should pay as much as you can afford for a nice one, and that is examplefied (no spell check) to an extreme with this collectible.

BTW, white, tan, and light colors are not my favorite either on this model and any others - makes them look chubby and not long and sleek as they were intended.

Enjoy your search for the right Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

hornetball

That Barrett-Jackson $2.7M for literally the last C7 manufactured was a charity auction.  Most of that money will be written off as a donation.  It does not reflect the real collector value of the car -- although obviously the last one manufactured will be worth more.

As for the Eldos, I like 'em.  I had forgotten how much until I bought my current '74 for my wife.  I managed to get one that was completely rust-free.  I prefer the round headlight models.  Good luck with your search!

76eldo

There is something to like about each year from 71-76.
I have a 71 which has better performance than the 76 I own but the 76 has a softer and heavier road feel. The 73 is also a really good looking year.

If I was choosing one to own it would be the 76.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

BJM

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on June 30, 2019, 10:20:25 AM
Yes, what Dave wrote.

Executive summary:  You cannot pay too much for a good one!  They are expensive and difficult to get all the bugs out.

Seems that I get really nice ones in my shop or really difficult ones.  My experience with the 71 - 76 Eldorado convertibles that need work is not great:

1.  They were at one time popular and traded hands a lot (not all of them), but the ones that have been brought to my shop have been the most violated and molested imaginable.  The greatest violation is the replace the radio with a modern unit issue, where the original radio was removed by lowering the top and using a back hoe to take apart the dash.  This means many clips and anchors are busted, wires compromised and etc.

2.  Very few top mechanisms work very well, the design is problematic. 

3.  The front drive requires extremly good quality tires and rims.  Vibrations and shaking is usually the result of poor tires and dented rims, not alignments.

4.  The automatic level control can be an issue too, but not costly to make serviceable and work around.

What I thought would be a problem is the front drive, but it is not.  The longitudinal mounted engine (crank shaft parallel with length of doors rather than axles really helps with smoothness.  Plus I love the torsion bar front end ride and handling. 

Again, one popular fact in the old car hobby is that you should pay as much as you can afford for a nice one, and that is examplefied (no spell check) to an extreme with this collectible.

BTW, white, tan, and light colors are not my favorite either on this model and any others - makes them look chubby and not long and sleek as they were intended.

Enjoy your search for the right Cadillac!

Scot and Brian:

Thank you so much for chiming in.  If you 2 are not already technical advisors you should be.  I recently purchased the 76 Cadillac sales brochure and am always reading about these cars to better understand them.  2 years ago I would not have wanted one of the 70's Eldorados but now I seem fascinated by them, coupe or convertible. 

It does appear the 14,000 was a blessing for those of use interested in enjoying these cars.  As you 2 have noted there always seems to be plenty of 75-76 convertibles in my searches.  Prices are all over the map and the problem is, a $15,000 1976 Eldorado on CL may be no btter than some $6500 ones.  Best to buy from a trusted source.

I too am not a fan of white but as you have noted, there are many different colors in the 14,000 and there seems to be no collectibility bump for the last 200.  In my opinion anyway. 

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jim,
The popularity of ALL 75-76 Full size Cadillacs stems from the fact that they were the last full powered comfortable riding and distinctive as Cadillacs.  In 1977 the cars became smaller and "corporate" mixtures of parts.  The 71-76 full size cars (CdV, SdV, Eldos, etc.) are probably the most refined of the "old school engineering" Cads.
Scott,
I would venture to say that if a car was not giving the owner problems you might never see it, so perhaps what you suggest as major issues ois not statistically correct.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Actually the Bicentennial models do bring a higher price due to the limited availability.
You want to try to find the nicest one you can find and hopefully one that has already had new bumper fillers installed.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

True.  And item #1 about the radio has nothing to do with the design of the car.  It seems that these are the more affordable collector Cadillacs with a large V-8 and a back seat, and hence tend to be molested more than the RWD convertibles which generally cost more.  The tires, rims and ALC are an easy work around/fix, with relatively known cost and exposure.  The top is easily determined as it can be operated several times during the test drive stage of a purchase.

I'm working on a 1974 Edlorado convertible where a back hoe was used to replace the radio and suffering major wasted time figuring out why climate control does not work.

All,

I like 1973 and 1974 Eldorados the best, probably leaning towards 1974 due to the nice dash.  The 71 and 72 are next favorite.  Since I own 1970 Cadillacs I can write that the dash on the 1969-73 Cadillacs is crappy looking. 

At GN 2019 there was a 1976 white convertible that had been restored with the best of all the years (from 73 thru 78).  It was super cool.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on June 30, 2019, 04:24:00 PM
Since I own 1970 Cadillacs I can write that the dash on the 1969-73 Cadillacs is crappy looking. 

On the way home from the GN, Tammy kept asking what time it was.  She couldn't see the clock due to the dash design.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Big Fins

I really do like my '76. It is the right colors and the right car for ME. I had the Firethorn, with a white top that was beautiful and had to sell it. My '59 was an original car in a lot of ways, that now I could help with the authenticity manual just with pictures.

When the Firethorn, car was sold, I lamented I had to have another, but it was to be the Crystal Firemist or a Triple White. I got a great car at a great price that has served me very well for the 5 years I've owned it.

While the heat of the summer is here, I'm going through it from bumper to bumper and simply getting things that I see now, before they get me. And you know Murphy, is lurking somewhere.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Wbostoen

Funny, IMO white looks really good on these eldorado's  ;D
When I was looking for my '76 convertible I specifically was looking for a triple white version (body/top/seats), with red dash and carpet. I even went a little over budget, just to get this combination. Maybe it's cause I know this car from boss hogg since I was a kid :P?
Anyway, although a lot of beautiful coulors were available, but peronally I prefer white on these square bodyshapes, with firethorn as a close second.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I thought Boss Hogg used a Rear Wheel Drive Cadillac Convertible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wbostoen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 01, 2019, 06:14:00 AM
I thought Boss Hogg used a Rear Wheel Drive Cadillac Convertible.

Yeah I'm a little younger, during my childhood it was already the dukes of hazzard remake of 2005  :o

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like the later series of the Dukes of Hazard, was on a financial diet, as Boss is driving himself, when in the first series, he was always in the back seat.

Maybe he was too big to get behind the wheel, and there was sufficient funds to employ a chauffeur.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Bruce, in Reply #14, that's Bruce Reynolds as "The Bandit" in the '75, not J.D. Hogg. Totally different shows/movies.

But a white steering wheel? Yuk!
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

STS05lg

Big Fins, that is "Burt Reynolds" not "Bruce Reynolds" in the Eldorado.  ;D  ;D