News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The frame for the windshield is a very large casting in bronze or aluminum; I don't know exactly. Anyway, I cannot replicate that method but I have to silver solder many parts small or large to get a similar result.
The picture depicts my actual result; this is the point I don't exactly know how I can continue...There will be a solution on day, but not for the moment!

631 Windshield posts.jpg
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

This is really awesome workmanship, unbelievable. Although I cannot help but wonder, with the modern technology available, would this not be easier made using 3D printed parts?
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster) on May 31, 2024, 10:39:53 AMThis is really awesome workmanship, unbelievable. Although I cannot help but wonder, with the modern technology available, would this not be easier made using 3D printed parts?
Thanks Stefan! To make parts using a 3D printer, a good scan from the part(s) to be reproduced must be available. I don't have that, because I should have access to a real car amnd the scaning machine! This method would in any case be more accurate than my gessing...
Then, a philosophical question: is 3D printing still modeling? The sole skill needed is to be a computer's freak and have the printer. I don't have that skill nor the machines...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

bctexas

Quote from: Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster) on May 31, 2024, 10:39:53 AMThis is really awesome workmanship, unbelievable. Although I cannot help but wonder, with the modern technology available, would this not be easier made using 3D printed parts?

The word "art" comes to mind.  Scanning an item and using a 3D printer to replicate it is not "art".

Roger is a true artist in his chosen field.  That a computer and 3D printer would be "faster" or more "accurate" is irrelevant.  The 3D printed version will never have the charm or intrinsic value (and I'm not just talking about $ here) of a lovingly hand crafted model.

We are truly privileged to have Roger sharing the journey with us and I look forward to every installment!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

cadman59

I prefer the skills from Roger...
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on May 31, 2024, 11:45:52 AMThanks Stefan! To make parts using a 3D printer, a good scan from the part(s) to be reproduced must be available. I don't have that, because I should have access to a real car amnd the scaning machine! This method would in any case be more accurate than my gessing...
Then, a philosophical question: is 3D printing still modeling? The sole skill needed is to be a computer's freak and have the printer. I don't have that skill nor the machines...
Roger, as many have posted above, there is a special value in the hand crafting. However, scanning is not usually used in 3D modeling. Instead, a 3D CAD pro0gram is used to 'draw' (or design) the required parts. You probably have a plan of the vehicle; it just needs to get converted into a 3d drawing.
Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Big Fins

I'll go so far as to say that Roger is a craftsman with his hands, not a keyboard.

Physical craftsman are a dying breed.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dadscad

I agree with Big Fins. Roger is a true craftsman. He has a mental vision for what he wants to do and he uses his skills and the available material to create his vision. It's fascinating to see how he accomplishes building the final parts.

To say the least, it is a dying skill in today's plug and play world.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster) on May 31, 2024, 02:24:13 PMYou probably have a plan of the vehicle; it just needs to get converted into a 3d drawing.

Well, Stefan, this is the first issue: no plan is available. I asked Cadillac heritage center, Paul Ayres if the CLC has something, Internet...there is just nothing. The sole person who had a side drawing from a 1932 AWP just refuses to make a copy.
There are some drawing existing for 1930, however, 1932/33 was a bad period for cars manufacturers; hard to blame them...

Thanks to the other people for their comments manual work v/s computer/3D printer!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

billyoung

I personally have a problem with people who hoard stuff and information that is of an historical nature or just want to charge a fortune to share it. At this late date who cares, just share with others of a like interest and passion for the good of all. I do hope someone comes through to assist with drawings , photos dimensions or something. Your work is amazing.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Bill!
Fortunately, I have plenty pictures. Dimensions are another matter: for the same object, two people will come with different measures! As I wrote earlier, there are two people who can share some dimensions: Johan Boltendal and Paul Ayres. I don't want to abuse with requests, therefore I try to be careful.
Drawings: with the exception I mentioned somewhere, they are just not existing, as far as I know.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The transition between the vertical and horizontal surfaces at the windshield gave me a hard time since the wood's buck. It was not better when I added the molding which is in front of the windshield: compared to the pictures I have, what I did is not quite looking the same as on them. Why? Lack of accurate dimensions, and the possibility to see the real shape myself. Various stencils made with cardboard would help too, but for that the physical access to a body is needed. When I did the Mark II, I had the luck to have access to a parts car with which I could do all kind of stencils without risking to damage the finish!
Anyway, I did some progress at the windshield frame by adding a connection between both posts. To be sure that the distance between both will stay the same, I soldered a half band at each post and then I adjusted the connection and secured it with screws. When the frame's top will be done, the lower band can be trimmed.

632 Cowl.jpg633 Cowl and windshield frame.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks to Johan, I got the precise length of the posts, so I could shorten them and add the upper part from the windshield. Johan sent also pictures showing the light curve of that element.
The bottom frame is to be made, as well as the sides. Those will give me some trouble because they have a nice detail. I don't know yet how I will realize that...

644 Windshield frame.jpgWindshield 6.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101