News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

On the real cars, the dash is attached on the side with 4 screws in total. I could replicate the brackets, but I could not put any screws due to the position. Therefore, I changed the way of attachment: the dash will rest on two lateral supports having a provision for a bolt each side.
The upper part of the dash is also fixed to the wood structure with four or five screws. I have no wood structure, but I could solder two small brackets for the to be born dash.
I also realized that the job with soldering was not yet over: the lower part of the body has a rather large molding which was pressed into the sheet metal. I used solid brass to replicate the molding. There is also a less wide in-pressed molding running the length of the car; I soldered two bits of brass at a location I hope is more or less correct in "altitude" and they should be horizontal. It could be that I will have to rework those short moldings when the hood will be done.

653 Moldings.jpg654 Attachment for dash.jpg

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

A bit of filler to correct some irregularities and a coat of primer is making a lot of difference! As it can be seen on the attached pictures, the surface is not yet ready for paint. The cowl will stay that way for some more time, but now I have a good base to continue towards the front or the rear.

655 cowl.jpg656 cowl.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadman59

Absolutely amazing!
I really admire your work, such craftsmanship.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

In a lean time in my life I took work as a carpenter. While doing an interior remodeling job, a painter said to me, 'It's us painters that make you carpenters look good'. In essence, that's very true.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Roger Zimmermann

From another forum I had a similar comment! The fact is that my constuction could be very nice just in raw brass IF there were no mistakes and corrections with soft solder or tortured surfaces...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

All elements from the front end are tied together: the cowl, the radiator surround, the central hood hinges, the upper hood panels and so on.
To have the cowl at its correct position, a bit of the floor should be done, the buck for the hood panels is also needed. It's done, but the battery for the camera decided to go empty, therefore the picture will come later. Another element is also needed: the molding between hood and cowl. The purpose from this molding is not clear to me; I have the impression that it's just an artifice to hide the misalignment between hood and cowl: as some identical body styles were used on V-8, V-12 and V-16 frames, the line cowl/hood cannot be flowing.
Anyway, I finished this molding as the shape of the cowl is now set. I added a small lip which go over the cowl, hiding the imperfection of the cowl where the molding is meeting it. 
Thanks to Johan, I got details how the hood is articulated at the middle. I'm not sure if I will be able to replicate the original system as it required three profiles which must be almost perfect.

657 Molding on cowl.jpg658 Molding.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

There are periods which I'm doing a bit from this or that. Due to the reasons I described recently about the hood, I began to tackle the body's floor. It's mainly a wood construction, but not only. I began with the side beams which are connected to the cowl and go till the end of the car. The beams were screwed at the cowl; when I'm ready for that, I will glue them, it better against road vibrations!
I'm using plywood for those beams: strong enough and light.
The outer lines are not yet trimmed. All will be done in due time...
I'm also adding the promised picture from the hood's buck. I wanted to buy a transparent product for the wood but I choose the wrong one. I'll get the clear one next week, but to bend the hood panels on the buck, that white stuff will be also OK.

659 hood buck.jpg660 floor beginn.jpg

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

While I was at it, I continued with the floor. There is mainly wood, but there are also large steel panels which were installed. What I'm doing is more or less correct; some elements are done the way I think they may be correct. As reference, I'm using many pictures from a '32 All Weather Phaeton which has a different floor at the rear than the convertible. I have also some good pictures from Paul, some from a LaSalle convertible (same body as I'm doing), the mix will give something not too far from the reality.
Before I can glue some crossmembers, I have to finish the milling from the side rails, otherwise, when assembled, I will not be able to perform more machining.

661 wood floor.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Some progress was done at the floor; it's now definitively attached to the cowl as the two remaining cross members at the rear will just be glued on the side rails.
The remaining open space at the rear will be closed with brass.

662 wood floor.jpg
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dadscad

Looking great! I always look forward to seeing one of your model building updates. Thanks for sharing the progress!
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille