News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyholic

I think the o rings are for valve seals. The big cork casket look like the one for the road draft tube on the valley pan.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Clewisiii

Thanks for the thoughts.  The draft tube was smaller.  I assume the valve seals was one of the extra items.  I.e. they came with the valves and with the engine gasket kit. I hope.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Sorry I hate saying anything withought adding a picture.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Caddyholic

Is the 3 hole gasket for the oil fill tube?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Clewisiii

No the oil fill neck has an offset base for the fuel pump rod to pass through.

There are a few gaskets I have identified as not needing. They included stuff for Tricarb system.  I was wondering if any of these are for California emissions features on later versions

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the one with the three holes is very thin, then it could be the oil pump gasket, or the oil pickup gasket.   I know that Cadillac changed the oil pump pickups after 1960 and went from the swinging pickup to the fixed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

The paper gasket is for the oil pump to the block. The small felt washer is for the swinging oil pickup. As 1956 to 1962 engines are very similar with some changes (oil filter for example), it's more economical for the manufacturer to add some gaskets than to make kits for specific year(s).
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

Thank you all for your help and thoughts on this.   I was going to go crazy in fear that something was not put back together correctly.  I have another complete gasket set arriving some time today.  Hopefully i can seal everything back up for the "final time" tonight.

Clewisiii

The gasket set came in. I put the intake and water pump back on. I still need to redo the valve cover and oil pan gaskets. 

But in the mean time I just wanted to put some pieces on to see the direction I am headed in.  The nice thing is that the last show stopper expense is the paint. Everything else is a bunch of $50 or $300 bills. Small enough sums to chip away over time.   

My air cleaner was dented at the inlet. I may look for a better condition on one of those.

Dan LeBlanc

A little bit of body filler and paint and that air cleaner would look great.  I wouldn't bother trying to replace it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Clewisiii

Yes. I am going to blast it again and try to fit a mandrel into the opening and hammer a little more. 

Clewisiii

SMS sent me a sample of the leather the made for my order. It is a great match when compared to the selvage edge of my original leather and the painted metal and fabric. 

They have bought themselves two more months before I bug them again.  It has been 3 months but in comparison to what some have said I think I am doing good.

Lexi

That engine looks gorgeous. Nice to see things coming along. Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

In working through my car I am doing as much to build and expand my tools equipment and workshop.

I plan do do my interior myself. Still waiting on the material order from SMS.  But I now have a LARGE commercial sewing machine for the decorative stitching.  I figure I will play with it doing a few cars then might just sell it. It was a pain getting it into my basement. The machine itself weighs 200 pounds and runs on 220 and air. 

I am finally getting a new concrete floor in my barn.  The old concrete was terrible.  It never properly cured when it was originally poured. It was always erroding and dusty. Caused problems trying to paint.  Also it was to low to the ground. The barn flooded every spring. That moisture was causing rust on my cars body and other stored car parts.  The new floor will be much better.  I hope to get a chance to epoxy coat before winter.

6caddy2

Well Carl, you've got the 2 most important things covered in your garage, heater for those long winter nights, and the flat screen mounted and wired in! Those sewing machines will serve you well for many years to come! Can't wait for the photos on your interior work! Should be as good as your engine work and your attention to detail of it! always looking forward to your next post on your progress!

Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Clewisiii

It is very nice having a smooth flat floor.  When I get my car back in here I will be able to get a set of wheel dollies to maneuver it around.  The surface was to craggy before. 

I am finishing patching in some insulation. I hope to epoxy coat before winter.

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

My thoughts exactly Roger. Lovely garage. Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

I don't know if I got brave or stupid. But I tore into my driver door panel to start cleaning everything and making patterns.  I need to buy some panel boards and some strip edging. 

I emailed SMS yesterday.  They told me that they were waiting for me to confirm my leather sample.  I reminded them that I confirmed in July and provided them a photograph of their sample next to my original material.  They said sorry about the miscommunication and that they would submit my leather order.   I asked about all the other material in my order that they said in June would be shipping out by the end of that week.   They said they would get back with me. 

Clewisiii

You see I am conflicted.  On the one hand I want to disassemble and reassemble just one door at a time.  That way I do not mix up any of these pieces. 

However I am worried about laying out the cut pieces on the 5 yards of vinyl I will be receiving.  So I want to make a paper pattern of every piece of vinyl and lay it completely out on the roll of vinyl to make sure I use the material wisely. 

I will just need to package and label everything separately to keep everything straight.