News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

Before I had my frame powder coated I asked about a couple of broken clips.  I did not know what they went to or what was broken off.  Well Inline tube sells them and they were brake line clips that pressed in the frame around the shock towers and over the rear end.Screenshot 2023-12-15 202902.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Years ago I had modified the tip of a hex socket to tighten this glovebox bezel. You think I can find it now.
IMG_20231216_104006192.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

The longer you keep looking for it, you will find it, and when you find it, stop looking, as it will always be in the last place you look. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

While the gear assembly is at the shop, time to clean up the housing. IMG_20231216_212940272.jpg

Clewisiii

I cleaned them. I plated them. I bagged them. Now I cannot find them. The clipped head axle bolts.

I need to check my other garage to see if they walked into there. IMG_20230924_135847748_HDR.jpg

Clewisiii

Alright. I became a destructive tornado and I found them.

They were where they should have been but I overlooked them 3 times.

I have another set on the parts car. But that would have been annoying to have to tear out.
IMG_20231216_230827218.jpg

David Greenburg

I had my car out today, and looking closely at the dash, it does look like the instrument cluster and radio surrounds do have slightly different tints. And my car is an unrestored original that was stored for 30 years.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

Quote from: David Greenburg on December 17, 2023, 02:41:39 AMI had my car out today, and looking closely at the dash, it does look like the instrument cluster and radio surrounds do have slightly different tints. And my car is an unrestored original that was stored for 30 years.

Yes I think that is due to the two different materials. At first I thought the dash and window trim were two different colors. But the dash is painted on cast zinc and the window trim was steel. The cast parts all got darker over time.
IMG_0412.JPG

I managed to see that on the steering column shifter stalk the area that was covered with a stainless trim did not discolor like the rest.  So using this logic The lighter bronzer tint on the speedometer surround would be closer to the correct color then the cast zinc radio bezel.

IMG_0562.JPG

Clewisiii

I ordered a 1962 stainless steel brake line set for my car. I am using the booster and master cylinder from 62 to have duel zone.

I called inline tube and he said they did not make brake lines for the car. Only Eldorado and DeVille. I had to inform them they were the same wheel base and I will take the risk. Screenshot_20231219-115933.jpg

Clewisiii

I may have found the closest rattle can color I am going to get.

This is with the assumption that the color on the chrome is the closest to original.

IMG_20231220_133039188.jpg

Clewisiii

My pre-bent stainless brake lines arrived from Inline tube. Only two days since the order.

The guy on the phone told me they did not make brake lines for the series 60 only Eldorado with 129.5 wheel base. I told him all but limos were 129.5 wheel base.

So I ordered from their listing on eBay.

I will need to do some straightening from the shipping bends. Then fish around the front end lines.

I am using a master from 62 to have duel zone. So I ordered lines for 62 as well.

IMG_20231221_102819956.jpgIMG_20231221_102841710.jpgIMG_20231221_102825558.jpg

Clewisiii

I put some of the new paint on half of the radio cover. I think I am happy with this option to repaint both the covers.

IMG_20231221_114018141.jpgIMG_20231221_114023908.jpg

Clewisiii

I don't know what I was expecting. But that caution follow jacking instructions label is small. Took me by surprise. IMG_20231227_154700530.jpg

Clewisiii

A guy an hour drive away from me posted a spare tire cover for sale on Facebook. He pulled it out of a scrap metal pile and sold it to me for $25.

It sandblasted nice. Light pits and only one dent to hammer out. I will add this to my next batch of powdercoat parts. Good to have a spare.
received_1870277240042132.jpegIMG_20231230_203613451.jpg

Clewisiii

Finally taking these the rest of the way apart. I need to rechrome the turn knobs. But I will polish up the rods and run the plastic through the sonic cleaner.

When I go to the chrome shop I will ask them if it will be easier to plate and work with these pre pressed to the rods. Or if the cleaners and acid would make them fall off.
IMG_20231230_205304250.jpg

Clewisiii

Seeing what I can do with this license plate light.

I will plate the housing.
Might be able to reuse the wire. But if I need to I can make a new one.
IMG_20231230_215218976.jpg
That lense though. They do not make a repop one for 61. The other years might fit. But I don't want to buy one just to test yet.

So I will try some resto bright to see if it will clean up. IMG_20231230_215228934.jpg

Clewisiii

I pulled out some more bags of hardware that need to be restored.

I have a question about these body side molding fasteners that go in the trim on the outside edge of the doors.

I was going to try to acid clean sandblast these. But I think nothing will be left.

These just provide a hole for a screw on the outside flanges of the doors.

Has anyone found a substitute?

IMG_20231231_103958051.jpgIMG_20231231_104005064.jpg

Clewisiii

License plate light looks much nicer cleaned up and replated.

I will need to figure out the wiring, cut a new gasket, and see about that lense.
IMG_20231231_105412840.jpg

IMG_20231231_105734995.jpg

Clewisiii

One remedy is bag it in hydrogen peroxide and place in the sun for 4 hours.

Well I have peroxide. But I don't believe I will have sun for 3-4 months. IMG_20231231_110652676.jpg

Clewisiii

I like to celebrate every little success or step forward. Otherwise a person could get very discouraged.

The vent knob rods are cleaned up. I only need two. But always good to have spares. One is a little bent.

IMG_20231231_110354679.jpg