News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Cadillac, standard of the world peak decade and worst

Started by Scot Minesinger, March 13, 2020, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mario

One at a time, Charles. One at a time...
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

dochawk

Also, I believe that the additional verb "est" is unnecessary
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

cadillacmike68

And then there's always pig Latin and dog Latin.  ;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

CORVAIRWILD

I'm a newbie here, and the other forums that I'm a member of are just slowly Chevrolets and such.

My father owned Cadillacs for years and years, starting with a '67 Sedan DeVille, and ending with a '90 Coupe de Ville, and then he passed away.

But I tend to be a basher, so I won't add my comments unless prodded.

But I did just last week buy a '57 series 62 2 door hardtop. And who knows when I'll be able to go pick it up. It's in Stanley Wisconsin, and I wonder if anybody else was watching it before I pulled the trigger?

CORVAIRWILD

CORVAIRWILD

Scot Minesinger

White was a new color for the mid/late 1950's and that is a beautiful 57 Caddy.  Hope you enjoy it.  Does it have factory ac?

The 1950's Cadillac was most innovating that is for sure.  looking at a 1950 to a 1959 Cadillac, the 1953 Eldorado, the concept Moto-rama Cadillacs, the larger every year fins, a/c, cruise, auto dimming, the horsepower increases and the Eldorado Brougham just to name a few. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

CORVAIRWILD

White may have been a new color, but I'm pretty sure this color is a pale yellow, which is actually a color that my mother ordered on a new '68 Camaro.

I've always wished for something in that color. Unfortunately the car has few if any options, roll down windows, no power antenna, no power seat, no autotronic eye. Should I go on?

And there was a two-tone blue one in Virginia that sold three months ago. As much as I love the patina look, the Virginia car was just gorgeous, it was a no sale for months. Oh well, such as life

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: CORVAIRWILD on March 21, 2020, 10:46:08 PM
White may have been a new color, but I'm pretty sure this color is a pale yellow, which is actually a color that my mother ordered on a new '68 Camaro.

Cadillac had three different whites in 1957: Alpine White (Code 12); Olympic White (Code 90); and Chamonix White (Code 112). There were also two pale yellow-cream colors: Leghorn Cream (Code 40) and Manila Cream (Code 140). Your body plate will provide the paint code.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

CORVAIRWILD

Maynard Krebs

My two cents.. is an admission that I have 'reasons' for my preferences.. which could influence my choice of 'best decade' -- which is a hard thing, to be very sure.

Firstly, the late 80s RWD Broughams might have been fine cars.... but I'd never buy one because I had several 80s RWD Buick wagons with those Olds 307s, which were not only weak & slow, more than half of mine self-destructed.   Thus, I could get interested in a early-90s RWD Brougham.. if it has the Chevrolet engine.

Secondly, i really do like the '63s & '64s (the latter being my favorite).   I don't care for the ones with the "skag" fins on the lower rear quarter, but they were good cars.   The '65s and '66s were great... but a lot of them developed rusty/rotten frames, esp. toward the rear.   The '68 was good in still retaining the VENT windows, and having the 472.   But I don't care for those overly-tall seats in the '69s & '70s.. which lost the vent windows, too.   On the whole, the 60s was a good decade for Cadillac.... as was the 1950s (though the '57s didn't handle especially well, due to their mushy front-ends).   I like the then-new '48s through 1954, however.

Thirdly, sure, who wouldn't want a Thirties classic?   But not many can afford even a decent one.   And, FWIW, I'd prefer the V-12 over the V-16.   Yes, I do like big open convertible sedans.... but they're all rare... and pricey.   To me, if a car has a back seat [i.e., not a roadster], then it should have four doors.   Yet, I know, lots of (wo)men prefer coupes.... though I can't figure out why... other than a semi-obsession with 'looks' or 'styling'.

Fourthly, I was sorry that all manufacturers dropped both vent windows.. and four-door hardtops.   The latter's "run" only lasted from the mid-1950s through.. maybe the very early 70s:  a relatively-short era.

Finally, for some unknown, irrational reason, I am afraid to consider the '93 through '96 RWD Broughams... fearing huge complexity, expensive parts (such as the ignition system parts from '94 through '96], and other 'unknowns'.   Thus, if I was to get a "modern" Cadillac, I'd probably aim for a '90 through '92 RWD Brougham with a Chevy engine:  such provide much that is desired... and is practical in terms of fuel usage.   I don't need a Corvette engine. 

I confess that a late 70s RWD is reliable, practical (425 V-8) and appealing (except for the very ordinary styling, esp. 'the nose').

Might I suggest ten model years (a 'decade' of sorts) between '48 and .. well, we'll see where it goes, as I assemble this.   To start, a '48 or '49 would be an excellent choice for assembling a "list" of ten model years... within about 18 - 20 years.

I like the '53s and the '54s -- actually '50 through '52 is okay.   For another couple picks, I'll chose a '61 or '62.... and at least one '63 and a '64.   To complete this 'list', I would likely choose at least a '65 or '66 RWD.

So, let's see:  Ideally, how about.... a '49... a '53... a '56... a '61... a '62... a '63... a '64 (or two!)... that's eight.   How 'bout a '77 or '78......... and a '92...... RWDs, of course.   That makes ten.   I might wish to adjust this.... maybe even cut it down to five, instead of ten.... since my energy level for maintenance.. is lower now than 25 years ago. 

Lexi

Actually a lot of this makes sense. I would love to see any of these cars in my garage. Love Kreb's comments on four door sedans as well. Clay/Lexi

Scot Minesinger

Maynard,

Thanks for that answer.  I agree, if a car has a back seat, it should have four doors, even if it is a convertible.

The 1993-96 RWD Fleetwoods were very reliable, even though complex.  My 1995 RWD Fleetwood drove to 254k trouble free miles.  I removed the vinyl top on mine and it was a fantastic looking car, got many compliments.  It still ran great in 2005 when I sold it, but just felt that a quarter million mile ten year old car should not be my daily driver anymore.  Saddly Cadillac made nothing in 2005 that interested me, and so I bought a new 2006 Dodge Charge with Hemi.

Seems you are like many on this forum, in that for 3 decades starting in late 1940's thru late 1970's (plus the RWD 1990's) Cadillac manufactured a car you enjoy.

CORVAIRWILD

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on March 28, 2020, 05:34:39 PMYet, I know, lots of (wo)men prefer coupes.... though I can't figure out why... other than a semi-obsession with 'looks' or 'styling'.

While I prefer the styling, the big thing is that I'm 6'2, and with a long torso/short legs  for that height.

It's just *easier* climbing through the bigger door.

Even my '93 non-brougham Fleetwood could use bigger front doors, although it's the first thing I've owned built after the 70s that I actually y fit to drive.

And year's ago, another attorney lent me his '89 or '90 FWB for a  weekend trip.  Used to my '89 Crown Victoria (2 years before the modular engine), I was *stunned* by its inability to get out of its own way.   I actually considered turning back from the mountains to get my own car, an hour out . . .

The

Quote from: CORVAIRWILD on March 29, 2020, 09:07:49 AM
How did (does) the Hemi Charger serve you?

I drove one of the hell-demon engine ones a couple of years ago at mecum.  While I had to ride the brake the entire time to keep it to 6mph, I was flat-out *stunned* by the legroom on it.   I hadn't sat in anything post-70s where my left foot wasn't flat on the wheel well before . . . (and I fit my '93 as well--but not the '89 crown Victoria I used to have).
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Scot Minesinger

The speed limit in VA is 70 mph at the highest and only in remote highway sections.  You only need so much power.  The 260hp RWD 1995 Fleetwood was powerful enough to make me super happy, after all it would easily spin the rear wheels, and had no trouble cruising at 100mph.  The Dodge with Hemi was 330hp and it was fine, but much more power than that is kind of not useful.  The Dodge was not as nice to drive as the Fleetwood, and my 254k mile Fleetwood was nicer to drive than my 10 miles Hemi Dodge.  That 1995 Cadillac RWD Fleetwood was the best car I ever owned from a driving pleasure, reliability, styling perspective.  The 2007 Crown Vic with Police Interceptor I drive today is more durable, and better handling/braking, but given the choice - prefer the Fleetwood.

dochawk

There is definitely an upper limit to "useful" power in normal driving.

The 300hp in my Eldorado Touring Coupe is nice.

It's also sufficient for any circumstance I can imagine.

This 1993 Fleetwood is a *definite* improvement over the years before it, but it could also definitely use a bit more.

When Carl had a 400hp mercedes here, he had me drive it to see the difference.

I could certainly *feel* the extra at open throttle--but aside from not being as nice a ride as the ETC, I didn't feel a *use* for the extra.

Maybe if I needed sudden accretion well over 90mph already, or some such, but . . .

Scot Minesinger

The 1993 Fleetwood was around 200hp and the 1994-96 Fleetwoods (all RWD) enjoyed the 260hp engine, and that did not lack for power ever.  I was 36 when I bought it and my friends made fun of me when they got inside that it was an old person's car.  I would floor it and that was the end of that.  The 1995 Fleetwood (and probably the other years) handled perfect, 24 mpg highway at 75mph with ac on filled with regular gas, seats six, and gobs of power it was difficult to beat. 

I thought about using one today as a daily driver, but most all rubber would need to be replaced, and it would be a 25 year old car now - just not trouble free probably.  Then parts availability would be an issue too, especially trim.