News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Whats up w/ USA Parts Supply?

Started by David Greenburg, April 06, 2020, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyholic

They are still open I just ordered from them this mourning. I asked about the auction and he kind of lead me to believe it is a restructuring deal. But gave no specifics.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

79 Eldorado

There was another place (great source for antique auto parts with a really long history) I heard about around a year ago which was essentially being forced out of business. It was in the Western part of the US. I think that may have had to do with property tax assessment. I cannot recall for certain. When they mentioned the proximity of the property to Washington DC and Philadelphia I was wondering what the property tax situation is there.

I did see in the auction listing: "CURRENT CO. ASSESSMENT-$810,600.00 (BLDG.-$385,600.00 LAND-$425,600.00)"

Scott

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

One issue I had with USA was with a rebuilt '59 water pump that was found to be leaking when installed. In fact it leaked even worse than the pump that was previously on the car)  They refused to accept a return on the grounds that it had been installed, plus the fact that I painted it blue prior to the installation. Explained the situation to my credit card company who ruled in my favor. I was still out return shipping, paint materials and the money I spent on having the water pump installed which I could not recover.

The whole episode left a rather sour taste in my mouth with USA Parts Supply but previous dealings had been satisfactory overall.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

joecadillac63

I bought a number of things from them when I started my '63 restoration in 2000, including some interior and upholstery parts that were pretty reasonable compared to having a $5000 interior redone.  I ordered a number of mechanical parts as well and never had any issues.  Hopefully they exit the restructuring successfully.
Current:
None

Previous:
1963 6267 Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1969 69347 Fleetwood Eldorado Coupe
1967 69347 Fleetwood Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

I have experienced two small purchases with CHP (an after derivative of MTS), and have decided not to purchase from them ever again.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Anyone know the area they were located in?   Is it one of those really expensive to operate in sorts of areas?   If so maybe it can live again in a new cheaper location?   I would assume 99% of their biz is 'mail order' so other than getting employees there exact location isn't likely that critical. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

79 Eldorado

TJ,
That's exactly what I was wondering when I posted the assessed value above... It doesn't look like a really high rent district judging by the Google map but I suspect some of the neighbors are not paying any taxes (Sheriff's Office, US Coast Guard, USDA, Waste Services). There is a development looking area not too far away which seems to have big lots and some large homes.

The closest big city areas are DC and Baltimore... seems too far to commute though. It sure looks like it would be less costly in the rural areas around here.  I captured a couple of images if others are interested.

Scott

D.Smith

I thought we weren't supposed to comment about vendor service?   

I have bought from them several times.  And since this forum doesn't allow disparaging comments about them I will just stop typing.   

I can't understand how a court-ordered liquidation could result in restructuring but what do I know... ???  I also don't believe the defunct party is legally permitted to bid on the assets being liquidated.

Jerry Puma

That's too bad.  A number of years ago, the owner had an over-the-top restored 1964 Eldorado at the CLC GN.
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

Scot Minesinger

That 64 Eldorado is for sale now by Daniel Jobe.

Jerry Puma

Do you have his contact information or a link to a for sale ad?  I'm the keeper of the 1964 Eldorado Survivor Registry and I'd like to see if I have it in my records - thanks!
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

Jerry Puma

Quote from: Jerry Puma on April 07, 2020, 09:28:11 PM
Do you have his contact information or a link to a for sale ad?  I'm the keeper of the 1964 Eldorado Survivor Registry and I'd like to see if I have it in my records - thanks!

I found the ad - I spoke with him at the recent GN.  The Eldorado I saw years ago was Firemist Saddle, however.
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

druby

The 1964 Eldorado in question was owned by member who has since passed away, his name was John Corrado who was heavily involved with USA Parts Supply. Daniel Jobe owner of Capitol Cadillac acquired the vehicle and I believe is for sale at this time. John Corrado won top awards with the vehicle at the GN in Long Island years ago.

1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Scot Minesinger

On USA Parts - "I'm hearing" just keep doing business with them as normal for now.  And this "court action" is going to delayed for a while because civil courts are basically closed right now, the parties interested in this court ordered sale proceeds will better off waiting, so do not see much happening anytime very soon.  This information is of course probably reliable but not guaranteed.  Would I put down a deposit on an item that will ship in 6 months - probably no, will I buy something today - sure. 

It may be difficult to find a buyer, as very few would recognize the value of the inventory.  The hobby car industry is on the wane, and especially so as this recession develops.

I have seen that 64 Eldorado and it is super nice.  Firewall is painted the body red color instead of black though - probably easy to correct if need closer to authentic.  Rumor has it John (the owner who restored it) had to really struggle to find the vendors for parts and that is how USA Parts was born.

jaxops

USA Parts Supply always did well for me.  I bought a lot of parts there once my friend in California went out of business.  Quite a shame.  Perhaps someone besides a developer will pick up the torch and keep it going?
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

gkhashem

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 07, 2020, 04:00:04 AM
Well, I must be an exception: after some differences, I decided never again.

I am with you Roger.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

gkhashem

Quote from: D.Smith on April 07, 2020, 05:24:11 PM
I thought we weren't supposed to comment about vendor service?   

I have bought from them several times.  And since this forum doesn't allow disparaging comments about them I will just stop typing.

Well you want to echo the good, maybe it's not all good.

So I guess people better use a credit card and get ready to get a refund if need be.  AS the saying goes Caveat Emptor.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

wrefakis

bought a fuel sending unit for 70 cadi
they sent a universal with adapters
returned
bought one replacement aftermarket and one ac original from summit together  for less than they charged for one incorrect junk part
this is why they are folding

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 08, 2020, 02:59:34 PM
It may be difficult to find a buyer, as very few would recognize the value of the inventory.  The hobby car industry is on the wane...

To quote Gary Coleman's character in Different Strokes, "What you talkin' about Willis?"  ???  Few people know the value of a Rembrandt or Van Gogh either- what does that have to do with what something is worth?  Rest assured whoever the buyer is, chances are the party knows the value of what's there. If the party is only interested in the land and not the inventory, it will be auctioned off to someone else who is. Whatever the case, it sure ain't going to a landfill.

As far as the health of the classic car hobby is concerned, where's the evidence that it's on the wane? Does industry data bear this out or is it conjecture?