News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

What year do these wiper transmissions go to?

Started by yachtflame, April 26, 2020, 06:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yachtflame

Ok, I’m sure this entry is going to be relocated to some other forum area but I didn’t know where to ask and figured our “forum monitor will move it to where it belongs.
Any way, I have two boxes of parts from around 1940 or so (I forgot what they came from when I received them). I’m wondering if someone here recognizes them and can help me identify them.
Thanks,

Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17057
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Tom Boehm

Hello Wayne, I am sure they are from '39 and '40 Cadillacs and Lasalles. Maybe other years. You are going to have to look up the part numbers in the master parts book to determine which series. In 1940 alone Cad/Las had 5 different bodies. Each body had a different contour on the cowl panel below the windshield. So even though all wiper transmissions from '39 and '40 look the same, the transmissions from each body had a different base to match the contours of the cowl panel. Therefore there will be about 5 part numbers for '39 and '40. If you do not have a parts book, post the part number and I will look it up for you.
1940 Lasalle 50 series

yachtflame

Tom,
  Thank you for responding and so quickly! I’ll get the numbers off them tomorrow and look in my Master Parts Catalog. Hopefully it will have this in it. I’m a 1927-1931 kind of guy and ended up with a bunch of parts that seem to be between 1938-1942. Definitely out of my realm!
If my books don’t give me the answer, I’ll get back to you.
Thanks!
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The #'s you want are on the arms,NOT the head.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

yachtflame

Here are the numbers in the back side. BOP-39RH
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Tom Boehm

Hello Wayne and Bob, I stuck out on the part numbers. Wayne PM emailed me the number on the arm  78399. Numbers on the head or the arm do not correspond to any in the parts book. They are all 7 digit numbers starting with a 4. Brad Ipsen and Terry Wenger in addition to Bob Hoffman know more than I do. They have been at it longer. Maybe Ficken Wiper Service could decode the 78399. They rebuild Trico wiper motors. The Trico name is on the head piece. Mine also have a number on the end of the arm that attaches to the motor. (107 and 108).
1940 Lasalle 50 series

Cadillac Fleetwood

I don't know if this helps much, but the "BOP" in the casting refers to "BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC", a shared body program at Fisher Body, and also a sales and marketing arm of GM for a period of time. That seems to indicate that if these fit a Cadillac, it would have to be a Cadillac model which shared bodies with BOP cars.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"