News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1953 Eldorado Biarritz on Ebay (SOLD)

Started by dinhnguyen57, May 20, 2020, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinhnguyen57

1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Cadman-iac

That's a beautiful car, even in its current condition. I have one question though,  I've never really looked closely at one of these before, and I noticed that the, what I guess is the parade boot, is permanently hinged to the body. So does it sit down behind the top when it's in the raised, or closed, or up position then? It just opens to allow the top mechanism to work? It almost looks like it also sits under the top when it's up. Does the rear of top have to raise up to allow the boot to drop back down,  then the rear of the top drops down over it?
Another question is then does the top have to have another set of latches to hold the rear portion down, and was all of this encompassed in an automatic system?
That's what I see, I think,  but I don't know. What a complicated mechanism that must be.
Even in its condition now,  i suppose that's not a bad price,  but to get it to a show car status, it's going to take probably 10 times that amount.
Still,  what a gorgeous car! It just looks so massive and commanding doesn't it?
Thanks for posting.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.

Lexi

Certainly looks like a doable project especially if you can do most of the work. Not sure about the price, though probably in the ballpark for it. Clay/Lexi

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
That price is only a starter!!! It will go way up. Hold on to your hats. I'll buy as many 53 Eldos  like that as I can for $25K.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

G Pennington

Key questions to ask:
1. Does he have a title?
2. Does engine number and frame number match?
3. Does it include all parts specific to the Eldorado?
A lot of work but a very valuable car restored.  Rust can be repaired.  Mechanical parts not particularly hard to find.  This is one I would definitely be checking on if it wasn't 1500 miles away.  Will be interesting to see where the bidding goes.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

rwchatham CLC 21892

With the eldo specific pieces there should do around 70k for it .
R. Waligora

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

rwchatham CLC 21892

Bob I’m with you on the 75 , I took a few dollars off for the metal work it will need and that people are a little scared of full blown restorations due to the cost nowadays , if it was a rare color I’d add another 10k .
R. Waligora

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Despite the seller's enthusiasm as to how much it will
be worth when it's done, you'll be well underwater when
all the bills come in.

I agree it's rare, desirable, etc.  If you have money to
burn then go for it.  Something to do "just because you
really want it".

$75k estimate for purchase plus $250k+ for a professional
restoration -- assuming he has all the rare parts with the car.

P.S. to the OP:
There was no "Biarritz" in 1953 -- it was just "Eldorado".

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

chrisntam

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on May 20, 2020, 10:01:39 PM
Despite the seller's enthusiasm as to how much it will
be worth when it's done, you'll be well underwater when
all the bills come in.

I agree it's rare, desirable, etc.  If you have money to
burn then go for it.  Something to do "just because you
really want it".

$75k estimate for purchase plus $250k+ for a professional
restoration -- assuming he has all the rare parts with the car.

P.S. to the OP:
There was no "Biarritz" in 1953 -- it was just "Eldorado".

Mike

So spend $325k to have a car worth what, $150k to $180k?

What's it worth when done?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

G Pennington

Looked at the pics on the listing.  What's going on with the body tag?  It it just my imagination or is the body number is blurred out?
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

chrisntam

Here's the tag.

Yeah, it's blurred out.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: chrisntam on May 20, 2020, 10:23:32 PM
So spend $325k to have a car worth what, $150k to $180k?

What's it worth when done?

I've seen excellent restorations (100 points) go for
$225 - $250.  One I personally judged at a Grand
National about 10 years ago went for that.  It was
the nicest I've ever seen and a true 100 point car.

From the pics in an earlier post, it looks like a very
rusty example.  Lots of expensive fabrication ahead
for the buyer.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: chrisntam on May 20, 2020, 11:10:27 PM
Here's the tag.

Yeah, it's blurred out.
Chris,
That's to prevent the people that do nothing but collect body tag  info on certain cars from seeing it . They NEVER share the info .
BTW... how many 53 Eldos have you owned? I've owned  5 or 6.
Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

Call me a skeptic, but I would be going to look at in person before doing anything if I was a genuine buyer, and checking that the ID Tag is correct, and that the car is actually there and touchable and the one for sale.

Then, with that information, check with the Members Roster of vehicles as to its' history, if known.

These cars have to stop coming out of the woodwork eventually.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on May 20, 2020, 11:44:50 PM

BTW... how many 53 eldos have you owned?  I’ve owned 5 or 6.

Bob, what is the point of your question and statement?  It appears to be a stab at me (or you’re bragging), but the reason escapes me. The only thing I can figure is something to do with my guess of the cost of restoration or valuation. I copied Hagerty’s valuation, I wasn’t too far off for a guess. The cost of the car and restoration were taken from prior posts.

Your comment is not appreciated.

Current Values

#1 Concours$224,000
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 Excellent$146,000
#3 Good$106,000
#4 Fair$76,000
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Vince Taliano #13852

Read about and click links to videos on how CLC member Larry Good is currently handling the restoration of his '53 Eldorado in similar condition at http://clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2001Newsletter.pdf (pages 5-7).
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 4,000 pictures!)

rwchatham CLC 21892

I believe a 100 point fresh car , one that was just finished to perfection will bring 250k
Most of the ones you see at auctions are not fresh cars , that is why you see them at 150-175 . Will you be underwater if you pay to have this car restored ? Of course you will as with most any car you pay to have restored. If someone can do a large percentage of the work themselves than they will be able to recoup their investment minus time of course . 
R. Waligora

wrench

I have nothing against an honest car with a lot of rust, but every once in a while a topic comes up about a collectible car that is a total rust bucket being restored to 100 point condition and worth a quarter million dollars.

I’m sorry, but a rusty bucket is still a rusty bucket even if you do a frame off.

If you have the hatchet that purportedly George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree but at one time the handle was replaced and then 100 years later the head was replaced, do you still have George Washington’s axe?

No. The Ship of Theseus is a logical fallacy and I see it all the time in the collector car world.

Once a machine deteriorated to that condition, no amount of costly restoration work makes it worth what a well preserved example would be.

My opinion. Harsh, I know, but that’s what I think when I see some of the valuations on some of these cars that get posted.

Yes, I see 100 point cars and I understand how some of the OCD types out there can get, but none of that changes the underlying logic that thousands of man hours and a hundred thousand dollars will not make that car any less rusty in a real sense.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX