News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1972 Used Car Specials

Started by D.Smith, May 21, 2020, 10:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Which one would you buy?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would buy the lot, and look at all the extras you would get, and probably get the Greek Holiday as well as a good discount.   Even the VW.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Pity the prices weren't fixed
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

I’d buy the 70 Eldorado or the 67 convertible.  Prices were up there though.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

That Nutmeg brown 67 convertible has bucket seats!

James Landi

Ha!  Great responses---(think of some of the rusted old castaways we've studied for the same prices or MORE) My choice would be the '66, for the spaciousness,the exceptional ride and the interior, but that assumes that I would have owned, experienced, loved my '67 Eldorado, and at that point in my life, I would not have experienced the Eldo, so, one of the earlier Eldos listed would likely have been my choice (in spite of logic). Happy day, James

colinlikens

It's a fun question.   It's a hard call, but I think that convertible would be the winner of my money.

And when you think that any of those '60s Cadillacs could be had for the price of a moderately optioned new compact (Maverick, etc) it hardly seems like a choice, right?

More saddening is how much of a fall those big cars would be in for after the 1973 Oil Crisis.   Listening to many of you fine folks here it sounds like for a while one couldn't hardly give away a big car.  The mom of a friend more or less mothballed her Toronado and bought a traffic-cone orange Honda Civic as an extra car because she was sick of waiting in gas lines.  She got the orange because she thought the color might compensate for its safety deficits.

Thanks for posting this.
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

D.Smith

Bayberry green

Kevin M. Parkinson

1966 would be my choice. A beautiful all black car with cool air conditioning. I bet it is full of options as well.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1939 Series 9033F
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

James Landi

Colin is absolutely on target about the '73 oil embargo.  I purchased a beautiful Eldorado '67 with 75K miles for $1,000 when I was living in northeastern New Jersey. I so lusted after that car that I was willing to roll the dice that gasoline would be available some day--- and, yes, of course, it did become available, but no longer at 35 cents a gallon!  And while Cadillac continued to make big, full sized cars, the buying public quickly drifted toward full efficient foreign makes.  And with the 73 embargo came a huge inflationary( "Whip Inflation Now" 1974-75) period that sent the price of a new Cadillac from $6,000 to $25,000 within a half a decade.   Happy day, and be of good cheer.

colinlikens

I was only a kid when it happened but with the 1979 gas shortage there were riots in Levittown, PA, only a short distance from where I grew up.  By the time that had happened, my very practical father had bought a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Civic, back when both of those cars where still the punchline of jokes on sitcoms.  Still, I remember my mom brown-bagging her lunch so she could wait in line to get gas on her lunch hour.

1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

Matt CLC#18621

Bayberry Green is quite handsome, fully loaded 70 Fleetwood Eldorado with a sunroof and I'm all-in!!

Regards,
matt CLC#18621
i am 2nd

Quote from: D.Smith on May 22, 2020, 02:01:13 PM
Bayberry green

Anderson

Probably the '70 Eldorado (since that's what I went with IRL anyway), but I'd give the '71 stock a look-over.  Might also give the SDVs a glance-over as well.