News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Corroded 429 cylinders

Started by clarkent5477, July 20, 2020, 11:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarkent5477

Hi all: Looking for advice on a 429 that needs two cylinders sleeved due to corrosion. Anyone out there sleeved one of these before and have good luck?

Thanks in advance,

Clark
Clark Dilley
Los Angeles, CA
'66 Fleetwood Brougham, '66 Fleetwood Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Clark,

Never had a 429 sleeved, but almost anything can be rebuilt with sleeves.

I had sleeves in my 427 L88 BBC, and these were the "D" Sleeves, which were the thickest from what I have been told.

Once the sleeves were installed, the block was cleaned out to .065 oversize, which brought it out to 440 Cubes.

Correctly done sleeves will last virtually forever.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi Clark, just to second what Bruce has said, I had two sleeves installed in my 54 331 engine. All is good 😁

fishnjim

That would suggest a crack letting coolant to get inside.   I'd have the whole block checked for cracks, either dye/penetrant or magnaflux before I spent a dime on repairs.   Cylinder wall cracks are hard to see if it's corroded or honed/polished.
IF it can be verified that the water got into the cylinders from sitting outside, then maybe not as crucial.   

K_Cassutt

Best of luck.  My 429 is under the wrench for the replacement of freeze plugs and a crankshaft thrust bearing.